Laptop with best display @55k

udaylunawat

In the zone
My budget is 55k.
Primary purpose Entertainment MOVIES, throw in a bit of watch dogs and crysis 3.
Minimum req : best display and viewing angles under 55k and weight under 2.5kg
Preferably 1080p but NOT MANDATORY
Good enough graphics such as 840m or 740m or even better.
Any brands would be good except apple.
Purchase location online and offline

OP
U

udaylunawat

In the zone
How's z50 ?? 56k
FHD DISPLAY 1080P, 840M 2 GB, 8 GB RAM, NO BACKLIT KEYBOARD, I5 ULV. Would I face any problems if I play games at 720p settings ??

OP
U

udaylunawat

In the zone
Also Pls tell me whether I will be needing an i7 processor ?? I am currently studying B. E in I.T 2nd year and planning to buy a 50k desktop in two years. Would an i5 be enough ??

thegr8anand

Broken In
If you like to keep lot of apps open at the same time then i7 with 8 threads definitely helps. If you can get it in your budget go for it.

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
Is 4gb graphics just a gimmick or will it be useful in foreseeable future ??

Read this.

With the latest games like Watch_Dogs and Shadow of Mordor asking you to push 6GB+ for ultra textures, not buying the 4GB card will seriously handicap your gaming experience in the future.

4GB vRAM should be a priority for people buying gaming laptops.

thegr8anand

Broken In
Ok hadn't read your requirements but if you intend to game crysis and watch dogs you should be looking at least 860m preferably 870m but don't think they will be available in your budget. You can drop to i5 with high default clock instead of i7. Anything below those will not give you good experience in those games even if they have 4 or 8gb vram. VRam is just a gimmick.

If gaming is not needed then simply get the higest i7 and display you can get in your budget.

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
Ok hadn't read your requirements but if you intend to game crysis and watch dogs you should be looking at least 860m preferably 870m but don't think they will be available in your budget. You can drop to i5 with high default clock instead of i7. Anything below those will not give you good experience in those games even if they have 4 or 8gb vram. VRam is just a gimmick.

If gaming is not needed then simply get the higest i7 and display you can get in your budget.

:lol:

- - - Updated - - -

PS: Buying more vRam does not mean compromising on the GPU core.

I meant when 2GB and 4GB are available on the same core, one should always go for the 4GB if one wants to have a good gaming experience.

thegr8anand

Broken In
Yeah do try watch dogs or crysis 3 on 840m with 4gb and tell me what happens. My 3.5 yr old 5870m with 1gb does lot better than that on 1600x900. It won't allow me to set high textures because then it asks for more vram (high asks 2gb and highest 3). But forget even medium on 840m so the 4gb won't make it any more playable.

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
Yeah do try watch dogs or crysis 3 on 840m with 4gb and tell me what happens. My 3.5 yr old 5870m with 1gb does lot better than that on 1600x900. It won't allow me to set high textures because then it asks for more vram (high asks 2gb and highest 3). But forget even medium on 840m so the 4gb won't make it any more playable.

You still have no idea do you?
To compromise for the lack of graphical processing in the GPU core, the vRAM takes charge.

For instance, let there be a 2GB GT 840m and a 4GB GT 840m.
Both of them can run Watch_Dogs @med. Now, the GT 840m can switch from high textures to ultra textures(which is different from med settings) without ANY loss in performance and make the game look much better. Meanwhile the 2GB one is stuck at med textures.

thegr8anand

Broken In
You still have no idea do you?To compromise for thik of graphical processing in the GPU core, the vRAM takes charge. For instance, let there be a 2GB GT 840m and a 4GB GT 840m.Both of them can run Watch_Dogs @med. Now, the GT 840m can switch from high textures to ultra textures(which is different from med settings) without ANY loss in performance and make the game look much better. Meanwhile the 2GB one is stuck at med textures.
Thats like saying pentium 4 with 8gb will do lot better than a core i5 with 2gb :razz: architecture and its power don't matter. Anyway this will help the OP a lot better than us arguing. Watch Dogs Benchmarked - NotebookCheck.net Reviews

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
Thats like saying pentium 4 with 8gb will do lot better than a core i5 with 2gb :razz: architecture and its power don't matter. Anyway this will help the OP a lot better than us arguing. Watch Dogs Benchmarked - NotebookCheck.net Reviews

You're really flummoxed and non-plussed, aren't you? or just plain stupid.

I said more vRAM shouldn't mean a compromise in the GPU core.
For instance, let there be a 2GB GT 840m and a 4GB GT 840m.
Both of them can run Watch_Dogs @med. Now, the GT 840m can switch from high textures to ultra textures(which is different from med settings) without ANY loss in performance and make the game look much better. Meanwhile the 2GB one is stuck at med textures.

So core i5 with 4GB RAM is better than a core i5 with 2 GB RAM. That's what I mean.

- - - Updated - - -

That website doesn't compare same GPU cores with different vRAM capacities, so it's not that useful.

thegr8anand

Broken In
I don't want to get into namecalling. But you are stating the obvious and in the end vram really is a gimmick for gaming especially in the budget the OP is targeting. He would do much better to get an 860m/870m with 2gb than 840m with 4gb. This is exactly the biggest problem and marketing BS; in one of the flipkart thread yesterday another user made this exact mistake and because of sale bought a worse card thinking it would be better because it had more Vram. Most people think because one has more ram it has to be better. And when they buy it it turns out to be a bad experience.

Anyways i gave my opinion on what the OP should target in my original post and that watch dogs link would really help him what cpu and gpu to target in his budget and what kind of quality he expects by playing watch dogs.

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
I don't want to get into namecalling. But you are stating the obvious and in the end vram really is a gimmick for gaming especially in the budget the OP is targeting. He would do much better to get an 860m/870m with 2gb than 840m with 4gb. This is exactly the biggest problem and marketing BS; in one of the flipkart thread yesterday another user made this exact mistake and because of sale bought a worse card thinking it would be better because it had more Vram. Most people think because one has more ram it has to be better. And when they buy it it turns out to be a bad experience.

Anyways i gave my opinion on what the OP should target in my original post and that watch dogs link would really help him what cpu and gpu to target in his budget and what kind of quality he expects by playing watch dogs.

I can't believe you still don't get what I am trying to say.

I am saying one should always go for the higher GPU core available. One should ALWAYS go for GTX 850m when there is a choice between GT 840m and GTX 850m but when given a choice between GT 840m 2GB and GT 840M 4GB, one should ALWAYS go for 4GB one.
Some people say otherwise to save money but vRAM is NOT a gimmick.

- - - Updated - - -

Also forget about GTX 870m, it is available @3xOP's budget.

mayasinha

Right off the assembly line
You can buy HP Pavilion 15-P077TX Laptop. In this laptop all features are available whatever you want. Most Important this laptop is in your budget. You can search on snapdeal, flipkart portal.

thegr8anand

Broken In
I can't believe you still don't get what I am trying to say.

I am saying one should always go for the higher GPU core available. One should ALWAYS go for GTX 850m when there is a choice between GT 840m and GTX 850m but when given a choice between GT 840m 2GB and GT 840M 4GB, one should ALWAYS go for 4GB one.
Some people say otherwise to save money but vRAM is NOT a gimmick.

- - - Updated - - -

Also forget about GTX 870m, it is available @3xOP's budget.

I get what you mean but you didn't understand what i mean. Consider this: the OP has chosen 840m but has the option of 2gb and 4gb. You say 4gb will help him because it will be able to hold high quality textures. That is true he can enable 'highest' setting in Watch Dogs with 4gb but only 'High' with 2gb. When he plays he realises the 840m is so weak it simply can't process those textures, not even the 'high' ones so he has to settle of either low or medium textures to play at barely acceptable level which only require 1gb. So he got no use of the extra 2gb probably playing more in the process unless he does photo/video editing etc but we are only talking about gaming. You can only play on highest settings on the top of the line gpus and they already come with 3/4gb or even more. So it really is a marketing gimmick in gaming especially for the low end cards because less knowledgeable people purchase expecting it to perform better.

Here is a comparison of what you are asking. Same card with 2gb and 4gb: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 760 4GB Video Card Review - 2GB or 4GB of VRAM - Page 6 of 6 - Legit ReviewsFinal Thoughts and Conclusions

Gigabyte currently offers the Gigabyte GTX 760 GDDR5-2GB for $259.99 and the Gigabyte GTX760 GDDR5-4GB for $299.99. The cards are identical other than the amount of the frame buffer. The Gigabyte GeForce GTX 760 video card in general is a very nice card. It is factory overclocked, fairly quiet and runs super cool (27C idle and 64C load). So, should you spay $40 more to double up on the memory? Our testing showed that while there were some benefits at Ultra HD resolutions on some game titles it wasn’t enough to significantly impact the gaming experience. The issue with the GeForce GTX 760 series is that it is power by the GK104 Kepler GPU and there is only so many pixels that the 1152 stream processors and 32 ROPs can handle. This means that while the additional memory did help when gaming at 4K resolutions in Far Cry 3, the GPU itself didn’t have enough horse power to provide a smooth gaming experience. We would still get stuttering and tearing when gaming despite the fact that we had enough memory to render the scenes.

There are many more articles like this or just google 'vram gimmick'

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
I get what you mean but you didn't understand what i mean. Consider this: the OP has chosen 840m but has the option of 2gb and 4gb. You say 4gb will help him because it will be able to hold high quality textures. That is true he can enable 'highest' setting in Watch Dogs with 4gb but only 'High' with 2gb. When he plays he realises the 840m is so weak it simply can't process those textures, not even the 'high' ones so he has to settle of either low or medium textures to play at barely acceptable level which only require 1gb. So he got no use of the extra 2gb probably playing more in the process unless he does photo/video editing etc but we are only talking about gaming. You can only play on highest settings on the top of the line gpus and they already come with 3/4gb or even more. So it really is a marketing gimmick in gaming especially for the low end cards because less knowledgeable people purchase expecting it to perform better.

Here is a comparison of what you are asking. Same card with 2gb and 4gb: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 760 4GB Video Card Review - 2GB or 4GB of VRAM - Page 6 of 6 - Legit ReviewsFinal Thoughts and Conclusions

There are many more articles like this or just google 'vram gimmick'
LOL noob. :lol: :rofl:
GPU Usage is independent of vRAM usage. Read this before downgrading the standards of this forum.
Video games use textures. Textures have a size. I already explained this a little above, but I'll be a bit more thorough here. Texture size is pretty native to a game, usually. Most games won't allow you to make much of a change to the texture sizes, but some do. Titanfall is an example of one such game. Modifying Skyrim is another example. A large texture size simply uses up more vRAM, and does little else in terms of performance impact in most cases. Some games are coded badly though ^_^. Anyway, texture size improvements are how crisp things are more than anything else.
Newer games WILL require a high amount of vRAM.
In your link, the games are too old for them to require more than 2GB vRAM.

Also let us unanimously agree that Z50 is the way to go.

Top Bottom