Laptop to learn Virtulization and security

dombora

Right off the assembly line
Hi Guys,

I am planning to buy a laptop for my daily use.. I Might play mid range games but nothing high profile... Not a fan.

My objective is to learn Virtulization and Security concepts

For training on virtualization (ESXi nested under Workstation) and security, what Configurations would you recommend? what is your ideal laptop?

I have one in mind.. Lenovo p50 basic.. 6th gen i7/8gb & 512GB SSD. Please advise

Hrishi

I can't recommend a specific model as there are tons of them available with aesthetic and after sales difference. But when it comes to performance, you should be looking at a Core i7-6xxx HQ, 512GB SSD with a slot for DVD to add a other HDD/SSD as ESXi consumes one of your Drive completely afaik. Also minimum of 16GB of ram, and support for upto 32GB.
The rest aren't as important as these.

Testing ESXi Clusters, and security tools/appliances such as Cisco ASA on GNS3, Checkpoint UTMs, Palo Alto Firewalls, AV servers on WS2K12, etc will require tons of RAM and a fast CPU with at least 4 physical cores.
I am pretty much working implementing similar setup for similar task but I have a i7-3610qm based laptop with dual channel 8GB ram, 180GB SSD with Gigabit Ethernet Port, and a Desktop with i5-4440, 12GB Ram(need to extend to 16/24GB) and 120GB SSD and tons of other storage.

Besides don't miss out on Gigabit Ethernet port. It's a must for such things as you may feel the need when doing large file/VM copy. Between different hosts.

Sent from my ONE E1003 using Tapatalk

OP
D

dombora

1) What is your budget? $1300

2) What size & weight consideration (if any) would you prefer?
Mainstream; 15" - 16" screen

3) What are the primary tasks you will be performing with this notebook?

No high profile games. Not a fan. upto GTA 5. Nothing more than that.
Virtualization (ESXi nested under Workstation) , 1 VM and security, what Configurations would you recommend.

5) Any typical configuration in your mind you're eying for ?
I would like to know the minimum config required

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
No preference as such.

6) Anything else you would like to say?
Screen resolution - FHD more than enough.
Battery back up - Atleast 5 hours
Purchase place - Amazon/Company website.

- - - Updated - - -

Hi Hrishi,

Thank you very much!!

i already had one in mind and it matches the configuration which you have provided.

Memory can be extended up to 64 GB. It has an extra slot for another SSD

Lenovo ThinkPad P50. Getting it for $1500.. Good one??

Processor: Intel Core i7-6700HQ Processor (6MB Cache, up to 3.50GHz)
Operating System: Windows 10 Pro 64
Operating System Language: Windows 10 Pro 64 English
Display: 15.6 FHD(1920x1080) IPS Non-Touch
Memory: 16GB DDR4-2133MHz SODIMM
Graphic Card: NVIDIA Quadro M1000M 4GB
Base: NVIDIA Quadro M1000M 4GB
Camera: 720p HD Camera with Microphone
Keyboard: Backlit Keyboard with Number Pad - English
Security Features: Integrated Fingerprint Reader
Security Chip: Software TPM Enabled
First Solid State Drive / Second Hard Disk Drive: 512GB SSD SATA3
Total Hard Drive Capacity: 512GB
Power Cord: 170W AC Adapter - US(2pin)
Battery: 6 Cell Li-Polymer Battery 90Wh
Wireless: Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC(2x2) 8260, Bluetooth Version 4.1 No vPro
Display Panel: 15.6" FHD(1920x1080),no Touch,2D Camera,with Mic,no Color Sensor,with WLAN and WWAN antenna
Language Pack: Publication - English
Warranty: 1 Year Depot or Carry-in
Office Productivity Software: Microsoft Office 365 Personal Activation Card - 1 year Subscription, 1 PC

Last edited:

Hrishi

1) What is your budget? $1300

2) What size & weight consideration (if any) would you prefer?
Mainstream; 15" - 16" screen

3) What are the primary tasks you will be performing with this notebook?

No high profile games. Not a fan. upto GTA 5. Nothing more than that.
Virtualization (ESXi nested under Workstation) , 1 VM and security, what Configurations would you recommend.

5) Any typical configuration in your mind you're eying for ?
I would like to know the minimum config required

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
No preference as such.

6) Anything else you would like to say?
Screen resolution - FHD more than enough.
Battery back up - Atleast 5 hours
Purchase place - Amazon/Company website.

- - - Updated - - -

Hi Hrishi,

Thank you very much!!

i already had one in mind and it matches the configuration which you have provided.

Memory can be extended up to 64 GB. It has an extra slot for another SSD

Lenovo ThinkPad P50. Getting it for $1500.. Good one??

Processor: Intel Core i7-6700HQ Processor (6MB Cache, up to 3.50GHz)
Operating System: Windows 10 Pro 64
Operating System Language: Windows 10 Pro 64 English
Display: 15.6 FHD(1920x1080) IPS Non-Touch
Memory: 16GB DDR4-2133MHz SODIMM
Graphic Card: NVIDIA Quadro M1000M 4GB
Base: NVIDIA Quadro M1000M 4GB
Camera: 720p HD Camera with Microphone
Keyboard: Backlit Keyboard with Number Pad - English
Security Features: Integrated Fingerprint Reader
Security Chip: Software TPM Enabled
First Solid State Drive / Second Hard Disk Drive: 512GB SSD SATA3
Total Hard Drive Capacity: 512GB
Power Cord: 170W AC Adapter - US(2pin)
Battery: 6 Cell Li-Polymer Battery 90Wh
Wireless: Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC(2x2) 8260, Bluetooth Version 4.1 No vPro
Display Panel: 15.6" FHD(1920x1080),no Touch,2D Camera,with Mic,no Color Sensor,with WLAN and WWAN antenna
Language Pack: Publication - English
Warranty: 1 Year Depot or Carry-in
Office Productivity Software: Microsoft Office 365 Personal Activation Card - 1 year Subscription, 1 PC

This doesn't look bad. The configuration seems pretty solid for the price.
However, there is this "Azom" laptops custom builder in India. See if you can talk to them, they will give you a pretty good build and powerful than any other manufacturer at the price tag.

OP
D

dombora

Thanks again. I did talk to them this morning and they offer some wide customization.

For example they can put a desktop grade processor i7-6700 on a 15.6 inch laptop.. GPU as well GTX 1060.

Do you have any opinions on this?

I did Google the pros and cons on this and saw mixed reviews like heating issue/ battery life and noise!

U have any thoughts?

Hrishi

Thanks again. I did talk to them this morning and they offer some wide customization.

For example they can put a desktop grade processor i7-6700 on a 15.6 inch laptop.. GPU as well GTX 1060.

Do you have any opinions on this?

I did Google the pros and cons on this and saw mixed reviews like heating issue/ battery life and noise!

U have any thoughts?
Well, any laptop with high end chips will have slight heat up issues, however if the customization has been done properly... Like when they are building your laptop ask them to use different multi chamber heat-pipes and fans for different processors, use a high grade thermal paste. This might cost you a bit more but will serve very well. And this is the point of customization.
I don't think heating should be a major concern, as long as you use the laptop on a flat/airflow surface.
There are some members who have already purchased custom builds so check with them, what they have to say. But either way IMO, if the performance level you're getting is good for the money then don't drop the idea....
Modern day Pascal GPU such as GTX1060 in a laptop won't cause heat issues as they are very efficient as compared to last generation.

As far as the battery life and noise is concerned : Well it's a tradeoff for the performance it will offer. If you're planning to use the laptop on A/C power all day then battery won't matter much.
And that when you're off the charge, you can reduce the processor state to low power and thus get more out of the battery.
Fan noise is something that will always be a concern when you're stuffing a desktop grade component into laptop, but then once again it all depends on the performance you're asking out of it. In normal usage it shouldn't be noisy, and battery consuming.... But when running at high performance it will drain the battery fast... Which is kind of obvious as it will also give your much more performance than laptop counterparts.
Like I said, it all about the trade-off... For me performance >>> Noise/Battery Life...but then I am a power user. For a normal user portability/battery life is a far important concern than actual performance.

Sent from my ONE E1003 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Top Bottom