Laptop that shouts 'Stop, thief' when stolen.!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pragadheesh

In the zone
“Get your hands off me, I have been stolen,” you can set your laptop to shout so when its been stolen.:

The program allows users to display alerts on the missing computer's screen and even to set a spoken message. Tracking software for stolen laptops has been on the market for some time, but this is thought to be the first that allows owners to give the thief a piece of their mind.

Owners must report their laptop missing by logging on to a website, which sends a message to the model: a red and yellow “lost or stolen” banner pops up on its screen when it is started. Under the latest version of the software, users can also send a spoken message.

The theft-busting program, Retriever, has been produced by Front Door Software Corporation, a small company based in Evergreen, Colorado. Carrie Hafeman, its chief executive, said that if owners tick a box indicating that their computer has gone, when it is started up, “a big red and yellow banner pops up, saying 'This laptop is lost or stolen'.”

The message can be set to reappear every 30 seconds, no matter how many times the thief closes it. “One customer sent a message saying, 'You are being tracked. I am right at your door',” Ms Hafeman said.

In the latest version, people can add a spoken message. The default through the computer's speakers is: “Help, this laptop is reported lost or stolen. If you are not my owner, please report me now.”

Others have introduced more direct alerts. “You can record your own. You can say, ‘Get your hands off me, you S.O.B.',” Ms Hafeman said.

The Retriever software package, which costs $29.95 (£21) but has a free trial period, has the functions of many security software programs. Owners can remotely switch to an alternative password prompt if they fear that the thief has also got hold of the log-in details.

If a thief accesses the internet with the stolen laptop, Retriever will collect information on the internet service provider in use and nearby wi-fi access points, so that the police can be alerted to its location.

Thousands of laptops are stolen every year from homes and offices, but with the use of laptops increasing, the number stolen while their owners are out and about has been rising sharply.

Other laptop security software allows users to erase data remotely or lock down the computer.

The Undercover software from Orbicule for Macintosh laptops sends back screenshots from the stolen computer and takes pictures with the laptop's built-in camera.

source:
*technology.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/tech_and_web/personal_tech/article5828105.ece

Count Dracula

Journeyman
Lol.Nice software.But I've rarely seen people reporting that their laptop has been stolen (Or is it only me?).Worth its's price IMO.

victor_rambo

हॉर्न ओके प्लीज़
^Laptop theft is ver common abroad. may be we don't see that here because laptops are yet to be "every man's" thing yet

confused!!

It's true Im not confused
When I was in Pune I have seen Laptops being sold in a car with a price tag of just Rs 5000

confused!!

It's true Im not confused
^^No I didn't because Laptop wasn't my requirement at that time but I heard some people go it for 3000

spironox

Booting Nicotine!!
its good that the program don't shout " this laptop user is watching "A" rated stuff " otherwise we would get many red-faces too often !!!

formatiing is easy but what if the prog is chip based and the recipient is a bio cell implanted in you body by the means of a nano chip ??? funny na but i wonder what would happen if u keep your laptop away from you at home when u are not needing it at office / vacation !!

may be they should develop some sort of bond between the signals

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom