Laptop purchase help....Urgent

nd4spd

Broken In
Dear Forum members,
I am very sorry for posting another new purchase thread and not going through the previous threads, prior to put my query to u guys.

But its urgent, My sister is doing her computer programming coarse in C-DAC. and her Laptop broke, now her exams are near and she needs to buy a laptop really soon.

I have been away from the online forum for quite some time and am not updated with whats new. That is where, i turn to u guys.

I have rushed through net and make a short listing of configuration, (depending on my understanding)
and it goes like:

budget - max 45K if config is very good bargain at this price
(Also i have seen good config starts from 30K+, so anything starting from 30K to 40K, u ppl feel will suffice her requirement)
Intel i5 (4th gen) 4210U
15" scren size
Ram - atleast 4GB DDR3 1600Mhz
HDD - more or equal to 500 GB (if possible small SSD for OS)
DVD RW
GPU - if dedicated is available, then good
Touchscreen will be too fancy but if gets in my budget its welcome.
with usual connectivity options
very important - Best possible battery backup

Brands like Dell, Acer, HP, Lenovo

$hadow

Geek in making
Go with this one if you want u series processorhttp://www.flipkart.com/lenovo-ideapad-z-series-intel-core-i5-15-6-inch-1-tb-hdd-8-gb-ddr3-windows-laptop/p/itmdzdejfqmsxnyg?pid=COMDZDEJMNZGXYWD&otracker=clp_computers_menu_0

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
Lenovo Z50 FHD version
@40k price, 5k extra discount in exchange would bring it to 35k

add another 4 gb ram module later if you want to.

udaylunawat

In the zone
Any of these dell laptops would suffice for you. Both have touch screen and fits right in your budget. Both of them are powered with the latest and popular Nvidia 840m. You won't get any graphics card more powerful than this under 60k.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1417632994724.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1417632994724.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 132

udaylunawat

In the zone
In terms of looks alone, I would go for the z50 (FHD is just a bonus). If touch would fancy you go for dell. Both laptops perform similarly and excellently in terms of battery backup.

OP
N

nd4spd

Broken In
Thank You,
$hadow, SaiyanGoku and udaylunawat for your help,
I have taken ur advice and tell my sister to go for Lenovo Z50 or Dell 3542.
But she says that touchscreen and GPU is not required, it is "FIZUL kharchi". According to her she needs more processing power.
she added that, i6 or i7 and more ram is required to run her program efficiently.

{I don't know whether any processor named i6 is available or not} HELP me

and i think i5+Nvidia 840M will perform better than i7+Intel 4400.

am i right?

$hadow

Geek in making
Well for designing purposes gpu does matter and for power usage I will not suggest you to get i5. If she will be needing the laptop for CAD the system will soon be having trouble coping up with the intensive task. But as she is saying she will not need gpu or powerful processor. I5 will do well for basic to mid intensive tasks.

- - - Updated - - -

And i6 :facepalm: The version which are available for the longest of time are i3,i5 and i7.

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
Thank You,
$hadow, SaiyanGoku and udaylunawat for your help,
I have taken ur advice and tell my sister to go for Lenovo Z50 or Dell 3542.
But she says that touchscreen and GPU is not required, it is "FIZUL kharchi". According to her she needs more processing power.
she added that, i6 or i7 and more ram is required to run her program efficiently.

{I don't know whether any processor named i6 is available or not} HELP me

and i think i5+Nvidia 840M will perform better than i7+Intel 4400.

am i right?

i6 doesn't exists :lol:

You won't get i7 in your budget. ULV i7 (which isn't a quadcore i7) laptops are around 55k but most of them have not so good config for the price.
Proper quadcore i7 laptop costs minimum 75k (Lenovo Y50)
unless she is planning to run multiple VMs simultaneously, i5 would be sufficient for her.

GPU isn't "fizul kharchi" when you are getting a FHD laptop (Lenovo Z50) for 35-40k
And as for RAM, add another 4 GB stick in the extra slot if you want to.

Dell 3542 has just one ram slot :facepalm: as users have reported. Upgrading its ram would be costlier. (dell india is desperately crapping their configs)

- - - Updated - - -

Also don't search in the local shops here in raipur, noob shopkeepers don't know a thing about GPUs and processors and will charge atleast 3-4k extra as compared to online prices.

Last edited:
OP
N

nd4spd

Broken In
Thanks, guys for all ur support and suggestions

Sorry saiyan, i didn't listen to u and go for an 2 core i7 4501U, i thought it might be a bridge between i5 performance and proper i7 performance.
I bought HP 15-P045TX, just because many users/purchasers on online purchase site have given very good remark about it.
I like lenovo Z50 also but couldn't get the 2GB graphics card +FHD version of it.
I wonder y such sweet spot is left vacant by Lenovo.
What is available is 4GB gfx +FHD.

Anyway thanks again for ur support and sharing ur knowledge with me.

One last thing guys.
I cant figure out how to scroll through the touchpad of this laptop.
Website says it has multi touch gesture support. But i just can't find the right location where the scrolling can be done.
Pls help me, what am i doing wrong

$hadow

Geek in making
Go to your mouse settings and then search for gestures and there will be some tutorial videos regarding how to use the touch-pad.

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
Thanks, guys for all ur support and suggestions

Sorry saiyan, i didn't listen to u and go for an 2 core i7 4501U, i thought it might be a bridge between i5 performance and proper i7 performance.
I bought HP 15-P045TX, just because many users/purchasers on online purchase site have given very good remark about it.
I like lenovo Z50 also but couldn't get the 2GB graphics card +FHD version of it.
I wonder y such sweet spot is left vacant by Lenovo.
What is available is 4GB gfx +FHD.

Anyway thanks again for ur support and sharing ur knowledge with me.

One last thing guys.
I cant figure out how to scroll through the touchpad of this laptop.
Website says it has multi touch gesture support. But i just can't find the right location where the scrolling can be done.
Pls help me, what am i doing wrong

Congrats on the purchase
You can change the gesture controls in mouse/touchpad settings.

Top Bottom