Laptop not working.

vito scalleta

In the zone
Hi Guys,

My 4 year old Lenovo y510p is not displaying anything on screen. This was right after I came home from a domestic travel and I think the laptop may have been damaged during the flight. (Lap was in the cabbage luggage only)

When I turn on the Power button All I can see is a black screen appearing.

The mouse, connected to the USB, is turning On.

The LED indicators for the Power and hdd are all on.

I connected the Laptop to an external tv( Mi Tv) but no signal is being received by the tv.

Can someone help me diagnose where exactly the problem could be ?

Any of you have had similar experiences ?

Thanks in advance

patkim

Cyborg Agent
Re-seat RAM stick and retry. You may need suitable bit sized screwdriver to access/open the back panel in that case though. Sometimes RAM stick gets somewhat loosened in its own socket due to movements of the laptop and it displays such a behavior.

Another thing to try is to remove the HDD and check if it POSTs w/o HDD. But try RAM stick re-seating first.

Remove the battery & then long press power button and keep it pressed for 30 seconds to discharge any static residual charges on the board and retry.

OP
vito scalleta

vito scalleta

In the zone
Re-seat RAM stick and retry. You may need suitable bit sized screwdriver to access/open the back panel in that case though. Sometimes RAM stick gets somewhat loosened in its own socket due to movements of the laptop and it displays such a behavior.

Another thing to try is to remove the HDD and check if it POSTs w/o HDD. But try RAM stick re-seating first.

Remove the battery & then long press power button and keep it pressed for 30 seconds to discharge any static residual charges on the board and retry.

Thanks for the advice. I did what u mentioned now my laptop boots up.

But i dont see anything on my laptop's screen other than the backlight. I was able to verify that my laptop was working only through an external display.

Now i think that the display cable could've been nudged.

Will try to open the rest of the laptop to get to the display cable.

Gollum

Collector
If you have a removable battery, you could just press and hold the power button down for about 10-20 secs, with no power source connected.
start the PC with charger only and then check.
This can revive the PC without opening it.

OP
vito scalleta

vito scalleta

In the zone
If you have a removable battery, you could just press and hold the power button down for about 10-20 secs, with no power source connected.
start the PC with charger only and then check.
This can revive the PC without opening it.
Tried that. didn't work . I also disassembled the laptop to check for cable breakages. But couldn't find any.

It seems the only option is to get it repaired by a technician..

Can anyone from Chennai suggest me a good laptop repair place. ??

I know there are lots in Ritchie street but i have been advised not to trust them..

OP
vito scalleta

vito scalleta

In the zone
GBS laptop service center seems good. Have heard good about it. Though i do not have personal experience

Thank u so much for the suggestion ! Today I called them up before visiting and they said my laptop might need a need screen replacement and it might cost me rs. 9000.
Once I gave them the laptop they checked it and told me the screen is fine and the display works after just tightening things up.
Best part is they didn't charge me paise. :doublethumb:

Top Bottom