Laptop LCD Trouble

Status
Not open for further replies.

nikhmail

Broken In
I had heard about dead pixels in LCDs but my 2 yr old Acer laptop is now suffering from dead columns of pixels. there are some 18 lines which are permanently glowing in either RED,Blue or Green colors. There was not a single dead pixel till last month when lines started showing up on my screen.

pls tell me are these dead pixels which as far as I know cannot be repaired or it is some sort of hardware prob on the motherboard side.

also how much i'll 've to shell out to replace the LCD.

A snapshot of screen
*picasaweb.google.com/nikhmail/Assorted/photo#5089350559780152578

AshishSharma

Livin' in the ghetto
I've seen that once on a laptop screen but didn't give it a thought :)

Anyways litmus test, use Video out from your laptop and test it on an external monitor. If the lines appear there as well then it could be the VGA card or some internal problem else ur monitor/ LCD.

OP
N

nikhmail

Broken In
I already did that.. the external monitor worked fine..
then its the LCD fault...
but is it economical to replace the LCD.. considering the falling laptop prices...

slugger

Banned
here is a solution

heres JScreenFix applet a sw soln

btw it is stuck pixels since u gettin constant colored light

AshishSharma

Livin' in the ghetto
Not sure about the pricing but you can check.

If the Laptop is out of warranty I would be tempted to test the wires and connectors from Display to Motherboard.

Try and detach and then attach the display from the Laptop and test the wires and connectors (Provided you're adventurous enough)

OP
N

nikhmail

Broken In
Thanks for all the info... It is clear that my problem is not dead/stuck pixel problem as there are lines of constant colors similar to the apple powerbook problem
*powerbook17lines.blogspot.com/

some pixel addressing lines are malfunctioning or damaged. Looks like its time to buy a new Laptop.

kooliceforever

Right off the assembly line
Dear All,

I have a brand new Compaq Presario Dv6800. i hadnt used the laptop for around 2 months and when i removed it today and started it, the screen had some sort of pale halo (light black color) on the center of the screen like a tornado!. it doesnt cause an issue when i play games or movies but when i open a word document it is quite visible. the screen can still be used there is no loss of picture..its like a ghostly halo..would appreciate if you could help me on the same (yes its under warranty, but is there an easier way of solving the issue)

Thanks and Regards
Harsh Kulkarni

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom