Laptop for CSE course; 60k budget.

Snehit Sah

Broken In
Hi!
I am admitted to a bachelor course in computer science engineering. I want to purchase a laptop that will serve me atleast for the duration of my course (4years) plus 1 or 2 years if possible.

1) What is your budget? (INR or USD)
Max 60k INR

2) What size & weight consideration (if any) would you prefer?
Weight : I don't mind. Any weight is okay.
Screen Size: 14 inch

3) What are the primary tasks you will be performing with this notebook?
Coding, typing notes in class, online classes.
I already have a PC which is old and slow and I do lighter taks on the PC. Laptop will be used primarily for the heavier tasks. (android studio, virtual machines etc) and online classes.

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
: I prefer Dell, but other popular brands will also do if reviews are good AND service centers are good. (I'm in New Delhi)
Dislike : a) Many people told me that Lenovo has poor after sales services. So in case there is some fault in the laptop later on, repairs can be a headache. So avoiding this brand.
b) HP Some Linux users recommended staying away from HP because sometimes you cannot find drivers for their laptops.
c) Xiaomi, Huawei, Honor (I never read satisfactory reviews about these brands)

[I've given the reason why I don't like the brands. If you want to correct me on them, please feel free to do so]

5) Any typical configuration in your mind you're eying for?

i5 10th gen + 8gb RAM + SSD (any capacity >= 128gb will do).
I don't mind if there is no HDD inbuilt, but if its there, its a bonus for me. But SSD is a must.
A similarly powerful AMD processor is also fine for me.
I was surfing some i3 laptops; they come cheaper, but I am not sure if they will be future proof (5-6 years).

6) Anything else you would like to say?

• Screen resolution : 1080p
  • Battery back up : (The more, the merrier!) 5 hours minimum.
  • Purchase place : Online (amazon.in/flipkart or official webiste of the manufacturer)
I have a question: I will be using Linux distro on the laptop. But most laptops I found online come with MS Windows + Office. Some also give antivirus subscription. All these are useless for me and I can save money on them. But I don't seem to find out how to purchase the laptop without these software. Anybody can please help me with this also.

I'm based in New Delhi. Will be using the laptop for online classes and some coding. Will install a Linux distro (arch linux).

I wanted to buy the ThinkPad E14 but as I dropped that idea because its manufactured by Lenovo.

Currently I have following in list:

*www.dell.com/en-in/shop/laptops-2-...rationid=8b9ebd5b-ca78-418f-aa80-8679ec9b28df

*www.dell.com/en-in/work/shop/busin...p/spd/vostro-14-3400-laptop/sbo-d552157win9be

*www.amazon.in/ASUS-i5-1035G1-Integrated-Transparent-X409JA-EK370T/dp/B08CHWM7VR

*store.acer.com/en-in/laptops/acer-aspire-5s-nx.a27si.001

*store.acer.com/en-in/laptops/acer-aspire-5s-nx.a2asi.001

Thanks!

elbin.p

Broken In
Buddy, don't go for Acer. 12 GB Ryzen laptop - 50k? I am pissed off with them, so I am going to vent my anger where ever I can.

OP
Snehit Sah

Snehit Sah

Broken In
Buddy, don't go for Acer. 12 GB Ryzen laptop - 50k? I am pissed off with them, so I am going to vent my anger where ever I can.
Hmm...okay. Thanks

That leaves Dell and Asus on my list as of now, unless some new suggestion pops up. I personally prefer Dell.

OP
Snehit Sah

Snehit Sah

Broken In
Sorry I forgot about this thread. Coming back because I received a notification email from this forum.

*www.amazon.in/Dell-Inspiron-i5-1035G1-Integrated-D560158WIN9SE/dp/B08GYJFBLV/

I purchased this one. The lid can be easily depressed, which concerns me. And the laptops goes above 60C temperature at normal usage. Otherwise, its good for my needs.

I'd say Dell's multimedia laptops are fine but overpriced & not worth it. Their high-performance laptops are one of the hottest, so a big no considering I personally use Alienware.

I'd say this is a great laptop with its biggest con being lack of a backlit KB. IF you have never used a backlit KB, you won't miss anything:
Amazon.in

Lenovo ThinkPad E14 Gen 2 laptop review: Affordable and fast thanks to AMD Renoir

Good part is, it has a free RAM slot & M.2 SSD slot. Also, ThinkPads are known to last well. R5 4500U will outperform even Intel i7 15W CPUs.

Dell's after sales is worse than it used to be IMO. Recently for battery replacement & heatsink issue, they took almost 2-3 months to understand my issue & give proper service (it was paid). After payment, they took 1 week to just confirm my order, obviously more time after that for technician visit, but I'm fine with that period. So I'm not inclined to say that their after sales is great (I'm in Bangalore). I'd say HP & Lenovo are similar & Asus & Acer are inferior with MSI further down. Will not consider a laptop from Xiaomi or Honor or Nokia.

OP
Snehit Sah

Snehit Sah

Broken In
I was almost going to purchase the ThinkPad E14, when I got to know that Lenovo doesn't offer decent after-sales service (New Delhi). I don't know how much of that correct is that, though.
That being said, I've purchased the Dell Inspiron and been using it for 2 weeks now. Let's see how long it lasts and how much issues it gives me.
Thanks!

I was almost going to purchase the ThinkPad E14, when I got to know that Lenovo doesn't offer decent after-sales service (New Delhi). I don't know how much of that correct is that, though.
That being said, I've purchased the Dell Inspiron and been using it for 2 weeks now. Let's see how long it lasts and how much issues it gives me.
Thanks!
Once upon a time, till maybe 2016 or so, Dell had clearly the best after sales, not anymore. You can go to r/Dell to see more complaints, worldwide. My personal exp puts Dell's after sales on the same level & Lenovo & HP but Lenovo & HP have better laptops for the money any day over Dell. Dell's laptops aren't as reliable as well, multimedia should be fine IMO though. Dell has a lot of business tie ups, my supervisor bought 2x16GB 2666MHz RAM sticks for 30k from Dell, without installation. So they are making easy money.

Hopefully, you won't have to contact after sales, if you have to, good luck explaining your issue as the 3 agents I talked with were all incompetent to understand the problem in the get go, even though I had diagnosed the issue & was just asking them to send replacement parts for which I was paying.

OP
Snehit Sah

Snehit Sah

Broken In
Thanks for giving me a heads up here. I wish I got this info before I made the purchase. If I knew this before, I'd have gone for the ThinkPad, eyes closed. Hopefully I won't be needing to contact after sales services.
Anyways, thanks for telling about the current state of Dell. I might be helping some friends with that.

mitraark

Decrepit
*www.amazon.in/gp/product/B08JLRYD4...RICEDP_2c1_w?tag=thuttu_a-21&ascsubtag=831698

Lenovo Legion 5i 10th Gen Intel Core i5 15.6" FHD IPS Gaming Laptop (8GB/512GB SSD/Windows 10/120 Hz/NVIDIA GTX 1650 4GB GDDR6/with M300 RGB Gaming Mouse/Phantom Black/2.3Kg), 82AU00KLIN

Go with this.

Edit: NVM that Dell is fine too. I myself had it shortlisted last year for home.

Top Bottom