Laptop For College(Computer Science)

Guys i'm now going to enter college(writing board exams now). And i want to ask you two questions,

1.Should i buy a laptop now or buy one after finishing the first year. I have this doubt because few of my friends recommended me to wait saying i wouldn't need a laptop for most of the first year and by the time i finish the first year i'll know which one to buy(And its gets a bit cheaper) and have a newer one. Others say its better to buy one now use it for four years then get a good one later and move on. So should i buy a lappy now or after a year?

2.Should i go for a 30-40k laptop now and again upgrade after 2nd or mid 3rd year to another 30-40k one then or buy something in the 50-60k region now and use it for the entire college life(4 years). Which would be better? I'm asking this because the 30-40k laptop which i get in maybe mid 3rd year or at the end of 2nd year would equally perform with the 60k one i get now.
(Which ones would you recommend Flipkart or Amazon(Indian Version plz no Amazon.com Links plz) or retail is also ok or if abroad need international warranty)
Note: I have a Windows 8.1 x64 license so even if it comes with DOS its ok for me.
Specs: Would prefer SSD(even if its 64 or 128 gigs over HHD)
13 inch screen and 1080p atleast(Higher better!)
Weight no problem(I mean it)
Battery atleast 4-5 hours otherwise its practically useless for me.
Ram bare minimum 4 gigs but would prefer a 8 gig one.
Softwares to run (Maya, Maybe one or two VM's, Unreal Engine 4,Photoshop,Visual Studio few other code related stuff)

Did i miss anything?

Late reply-----Was busy with Mid-Sem exams.

Wait for a year, and believe me, you won't regret. During first year, you are going to study common courses, and all which are going to be probably based their respective de-facto reference books. Why I recommending you to wait; because it is feasible, your studies won't suffer much(actually, they will get better). Second, by next year Skylake will be ready for notebooks, and is going to be a major shift in terms of both power requirements and integrated gpu performance.

OP
G

G.Ashwinkumar

Broken In
Guys thanks for the reply and sorry for a very late reply from my side. Ok so from what i see get the laptop in second year because you'll not need it in the first year and second skylake is expected to revolutionise the world.

I dont think i'll want to wait till second for the first reason. I want to get into competitive coding and get into stuff from first year.My 11tha nd 12th wasn't their best so i want to make the best use of my college life and the time in hand.So if i wait for a year am i not losing almost a full year of practice? Second skylake thats arguable..Am i going to max out the PCI E 3 bandwidth no..Am i going to break the laptops processor width memory intensive stuff always mostly no.

And yes i dont want to compensate on warranty.Just incase it breaks what do i do isn't my 1000$ getting wasted? And in laIs the risk really worth? I dont think so.

So guys should i really wait?

Well atlast i have a good news.If i am given a go to buy the laptop (I would still like to get some opinion from you guys on this) i can get it from USA in August 2015.My budget would be 1000$(Incase i wait for a year my budget would still be the same and i'm not planning to increase it) I've selected a few models which are around the 1000$ range which one do you think is the best?

1)ASUS ROG GL551JW-DS71($1072)
2)Lenovo Y50-70 Laptop - 59440646($990_

Or
1) Dell XPS 13(Second model)

As you see i again have a doubt should i go for a premium business laptop or stick with the medium to low end gaming rigs?I know the xps 13 doesnt have enough power compared to the other 2 but beats the **** out of them in battery, keyboard,weight.

Last edited:

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
Get this:
XOTIC PC | Sager NP7155 (Clevo N155SD) - 15.6" Gaming Laptop
Add Samsung 850 Evo 120 GB ssd for 100$, Intel AC 7265 for 25$. Total cost ~1013$

kalam_gohab

Ambassador of Buzz
Check this out.

Amazon.com : Acer Aspire V15 Nitro Black Edition VN7-591G-70RT 15.6-Inch Full HD (1920 x 1080) Gaming Laptop : Computers & Accessories

OP
G

G.Ashwinkumar

Broken In
Ok so Asus Rog JW551-Ds71 vs the Sager
1.Same GPU, Processor,Size,HDD
2.The Asus has better BUILD quality,looks,cooling,keyboard
3.The sager has a better price and combined with a ssd will perform better than the Asus in the sheet
4.Asus gives one year international warranty but with the sager there is nothing called a warranty

I know that you might argue that we may not need the warranty and the looks of the laptop is not as important than what's inside it.Lets say it was a manufacturing defect and the one who is bringing it from USA doesn't notice it then i'm literally busted with the Sager as i would have to ship it there and get it repaired who knows whether it'll be done properly the first time. But with the Asus atleast i can take it to the local service center argue the hell with him and make him repair it under warranty for free. Yes i can give it to some local service guy and let him handle ..but i cant really say that if he intensified the problem or actually corrected it. So i don't think the Sager or Clevo would work untill they get a service center here..Also apart from the service risk the lappy doesn't hold too much value compared to the Asus yes i would save a few 100 bucks but is it really worth it?

2.Acer Aspire V15 Nitro Black Edition vs the Asus Rog
This one seems pretty tough.
8gb ram vs 16gb
1tb 5400rpm vs 1tb 7200rpm
4gig vram vs 2 gig
This one lookes very close
But as i was reading the reviews the acer seems to have pretty bad wifi issues. I would get deeper in this comparison and would decide between the acer and the Asus. And again the Acer warranty is kinda confusing and it doesn't seem to have an international warranty by default, whereas the Asus seems to have an international warranty.

kalam_gohab

Ambassador of Buzz
1) I read somewhere in one forum. Here is the context

"5400rpm is the smart choice when you are storing large files, for example when using the HDD to store backups, movies, pictures, archives; etc.

If, however, you will be using the HDD to act as system drive, running applications from it that care about latency instead of throughput, then you should pick 7200rpm HDDs or even better; SSDs."

2) Acer does support international warranty but with some limitations

International Travelers Warranty

3) Yeah people are complaining about wifi issues but it's not with majority of the buyers..And again, acer claimed that it has changed the wifi chip with a new one.. So can't really comment on it.

Overall, Asus rog seems to be a solid deal. The choice now comes to ram and gpu. IMO, acer looks much better than asus rog.

Let other digitians reply and then decide.

Last edited:

kkn13

Cyber Genius FTW
id avoid Acer,they really have poor quality products and after sales
even the Sager would be a more reliable buy

Regarding Sager vs Asus,its a tough call like you said

Sager Pros-
-Easily the best laptop chassis in the industry
-built with a desktop style experience in mind, parts are generally very easily swappable and sometimes even interchangeable because of the Clevo base which allows for easy upgrades
-has a extremely large variety of combos to choose from,you can customise it like anything

Sager cons-
-literally no after sales,RMA/warranty etc in India
even getting parts in India locally seems unlikely afaik
though I guess you can get the parts shipped or interchange parts with alienware and MSI(some people have done it before but it doesnt always work,needs to be the exact same) and this is possible because of the Clevo chassis

Asus pros-
Extremely efficient staff and after sales/rma etc
Asus has built a reputation in India in a short time and all their products have excellent support so far
so much that even the reliable Dell,Nokia/Microsoft after sales is challenged by Asus in India

Asus cons-
Not as upgradeable and flexible as the Sager
but Asus is no slouch either and some of their laptops do support similar upgrades etc as Clevo laptops have

^^ Its a tough call but its totally upto you to take the call

personally Asus Rog seems more juicy and safe a deal

btw why didnt you consider MSI ?
they have an official re-entry into the Indian market now

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
Its your personal choice. I'd pick sager despite no indian warranty as I prefer upgradability and easy of disassembly. And the 7200 rpm hdd + msata ssd for same price.

MSI laptops :lol:
They copy crapple's overpricing strategy.

OP
G

G.Ashwinkumar

Broken In
Kalam : Regarding the wifi issue it seems that even though acer claims to have replaced the chip it actually hasn't.. And for me the Asus looks better..
Kkn13:So you seem to have solved the slightly chance of doubt towards Acer, I seem to somehow like the Asus has he Sager/Cleavo and you seem to suggest that I'm not taking a dude stanza and the Asus is a pretty need deal.. And regarding MSI I actually couldn't find a good one at this budget with good review do you have any model in mind?
SaiyanGoku : I think id prefer the Asus as i would like to be on the safer side and in terms of performance the Asus is no switch either... And MSI I don't have much idea.. Are they too overpriced?

Top Bottom