Laptop for a girl for college use !

rixon.d9

Journeyman
Looking to buy a laptop for my relative , she will use for work and study purpose. I have experience in building Custom Hardware Desktop PC but this will be my first laptop. Seeking your advice

1) What is your budget?
Ans : 35-40K Rupees

2) What size & weight consideration (if any) would you prefer?
Ans:Thin and Light; 12" - 14" screen

3) What are the primary tasks you will be performing with this notebook?
Ans : Carrying out projects at college. Watching HD movies and browsing the net , skypinig. No Hardcore gaming.

5) Any typical configuration in your mind you're eying for ?
Ans : i3 or i5. Doesnt matter if that doesnt have dedicated GPU as long i can accomplish above tasks without breaking a sweat. Prefer to have 13 to 14 inch max screen size with lighter weight.

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
a. Like: Lenovo Dell and HP
b. Dislike: Acer ,Toshiba.

6) Anything else you would like to say?
Screen resolution ( 768p (HD) / 900p / 1080p (Full HD) )
Battery back up ( normal (3-4hrs) / extended (5-7hrs) )
Purchase place ( Online (eg - flipkart, infibeam) / Local / Abroad (do mention the country) )

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
Get any of these

Lenovo B40-70 Notebook (4th Gen Ci5/ 4GB/ 1TB/ Win8.1) (59-440451) (FHD) Rs.39490 Price in India - Buy Lenovo B40-70 Notebook (4th Gen Ci5/ 4GB/ 1TB/ Win8.1) (59-440451) (FHD) Online - Lenovo : Flipkart.com

Lenovo Z50-70 Notebook (4th Gen Ci5/ 4GB/ 1TB/ Free DOS) (59-429601) Rs.37770 Price in India - Buy Lenovo Z50-70 Notebook (4th Gen Ci5/ 4GB/ 1TB/ Free DOS) (59-429601) Online - Lenovo : Flipkart.com

Others won't offer FHD screen at this price.

OP
R

rixon.d9

Journeyman
Lenovo Z50-70 Notebook (4th Gen Ci5/ 4GB/ 1TB/ Free DOS) (59-429601) Rs.37770 Price in India - Buy Lenovo Z50-70 Notebook (4th Gen Ci5/ 4GB/ 1TB/ Free DOS) (59-429601) Online - Lenovo : Flipkart.com

Others won't offer FHD screen at this price.

15.6 inch is a big NO. Well the 14inch from lenovo was in my head, any other manufactures with similar product ?

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
15.6 inch is a big NO. Well the 14inch from lenovo was in my head, any other manufactures with similar product ?

Kids carry more than 3-4 kgs to school/coaching/tuitions daily. Compared to that the 2.5kg Z50 isn't much. Else go for the B40. Other manufacturers give crap configs for the asking price.

$hadow

Geek in making
The looks are nice but the specs are mediocre. Would and i3U type cpu will be able to handle multitasking.

Day to day tasks won't be a problem and if you can increase the budget I will suggest you to go for 59-420166 model. And if you can't increase it go for i3 version.

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
Day to day tasks won't be a problem and if you can increase the budget I will suggest you to go for 59-420166 model. And if you can't increase it go for i3 version.

Still B40 would be better as it has FHD screen and the OP doesn't requires a dGPU.

$hadow

Geek in making
Still B40 would be better as it has FHD screen and the OP doesn't requires a dGPU.

yup it is but in case OP feels the need of light and longer battery life with kind of tablet facility so I suggested him this. And if he only wants a Fhd screen B40 is a great machine.

kg11sgbg

Indian Railways - The Vibrant and Moving INDIA
I have a specific requirement. I'm not judging my ability to carry weight. Kids wont get the best lightweight laptops as well.

+1 for this.
Notwithstanding the suggestions given by [MENTION=145143]SaiyanGoku[/MENTION] are really awesome...no doubt on that.Its really mind blasting for the models.The advice is very good and true by heart.

But it is the prerogative and choice and wish of OP [MENTION=155407]rixon.d9[/MENTION] that he intends to purchase a laptop of his choice only.
This is the fact I try and am trying to emphasize in the platform of @TDF,numerous times.
Look,Friends we are all adults with our own set of thoughts and mind.
Whatever I buy,whatever it seems crappy or not,it is my buy according to my choice. If I repent and regret that's my mistake which I have to bear it personally. Else if I am in ecstasy and joy that will also be mine own sharing and feelings,after share with everybody.
Simply put,emotions,relations,care are bonded with each other,by each other. But there should be a personal taste and choice for everyone.

Last edited:

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
^ [MENTION=123453]kg11sgbg[/MENTION] dude, cool down

mind blastering
:lol:

Flex 14 is 1.9 kg, B40 is 2.2 kg

A mere 300 grams difference shouldn't be much :|
Plus B40 has 1 TB HDD compared to 500 GB in Flex 14.

Given the primary tasks in the included questionnaire, multitasking will not be a problem be it on i3U or i5U.

kg11sgbg

Given the primary tasks in the included questionnaire, multitasking will not be a problem be it on i3U or i5U.

Hey,don't take it personally Friend. I am not at all in a mood of tempest nor trying to subjugate your comments/advice.
It was only my thoughts may be a little aloud,but not to hurt anybody's ideas.

Sorry for my english language(word) dude...slip of my thoughts again.

- - - Updated - - -

In fact OP may opt for the new upcoming LENOVO ThinkPad series models of E450 or L450 ,which if meets is budget is the most desired laptop according to his choice of screensize along with FHD feature.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
A mere 300 grams difference shouldn't be much
speaking from experience of buying a laptop for cousin sister,every gram counts :) i ended up getting something like this for her but with touch screen & win 8.
Asus X200LA-KX034D Netbook (4th Gen Ci3/ 4GB/ 500GB/ Free DOS) (90NB03U1-M00890) Rs.25199 Price in India - Buy Asus X200LA-KX034D Netbook (4th Gen Ci3/ 4GB/ 500GB/ Free DOS) (90NB03U1-M00890) White Online - Asus : Flipkart.com

matrixx

Journeyman
+1 for this.
Notwithstanding the suggestions given by [MENTION=145143]SaiyanGoku[/MENTION] are really awesome...no doubt on that.Its really mind blasting for the models.The advice is very good and true by heart.

But it is the prerogative and choice and wish of OP [MENTION=155407]rixon.d9[/MENTION] that he intends to purchase a laptop of his choice only.
This is the fact I try and am trying to emphasize in the platform of @TDF,numerous times.
Look,Friends we are all adults with our own set of thoughts and mind.
Whatever I buy,whatever it seems crappy or not,it is my buy according to my choice. If I repent and regret that's my mistake which I have to bear it personally. Else if I am in ecstasy and joy that will also be mine own sharing and feelings,after share with everybody.
Simply put,emotions,relations,care are bonded with each other,by each other. But there should be a personal taste and choice for everyone.

I next to you kg11sgbg. No offence but in Laptop Advice, advice comes left,right,top,center Lenovo B, Z, Y .... and that's it. There are wide and very specific requirement of every user but I have been observing it all covers between merely 3 series of one brand Lenovo...

Moderator : I really don't know if you alive and marking this.

- - - Updated - - -

Its not matter of cool down SaiyanGoku...

Have you seen B40 and Flex14 personally?.... I request to do first and then see whats really difference are there!

I too suggest Flex14 to OP first than B40 considering OP specific and PRIME need-portability.... OP mind other features next to portability not as selective features....

kg11sgbg

I next to you kg11sgbg. No offence but in Laptop Advice, advice comes left,right,top,center Lenovo B, Z, Y .... and that's it. There are wide and very specific requirement of every user but I have been observing it all covers between merely 3 series of one brand Lenovo...

Moderator : I really don't know if you alive and marking this.

- - - Updated - - -

Its not matter of cool down SaiyanGoku...

Have you seen B40 and Flex14 personally?.... I request to do first and then see whats really difference are there!

I too suggest Flex14 to OP first than B40 considering OP specific and PRIME need-portability.... OP mind other features next to portability not as selective features....
Fully endorsing your comments and without going for a quarrel/commotion of words for a particular brand,I resort humbly that despite being an owner of DELL laptop,I don't want to insist any one buying that brand. Since it is deemed to be a crapware by many of our expert ,knowledgeable Friends. No irony or satire here. May be they suffered with DELL sometimes in the past,so an outrage and outburst against that brand. It is also true that LENOVO has truly risen ,beating the market share of DELL,HP and other renowned brands for Laptop.
Again the term "choice" is purely the primary aspect for selection,here in this case.

kg11sgbg

And another thread which is going no where.

Buddy,suggestions already given by [MENTION=145143]SaiyanGoku[/MENTION] and also by me on comment post #13 above.
If OP can wait for some months for the LENOVO ThinkPad E450 or L450,that would be a suggestive buy for portability,sleek factor and FHD screen...for his relative.

$hadow

Geek in making
Buddy,suggestions already given by [MENTION=145143]SaiyanGoku[/MENTION] and also by me on comment post #13 above.
If OP can wait for some months for the LENOVO ThinkPad E450 or L450,that would be a suggestive buy for portability,sleek factor and FHD screen...for his relative.

What I meant o say that OP has to put in the decisive words since everyone has given the input

Top Bottom