Laptop CPU overheating ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

qarch

Going green anyone?
Hi,

I have this peculiar problem in my 2 yr old laptop.
Configuration is-
Model-Compaq Presario 1532, CPU-P4 2.4MHz(not HT), RAM-512M, HDD-30GB, etc.
OS-WinXP SP2. No overclocking.

Problem-
Whenever the CPU is fully stressed out to 100% for more than 15 seconds (as seen from taskmanager > performance tab), the

laptop shuts down automatically as if I had clicked Start>Turn off computer...>Turn off. (No hard drive check when rebooted.)

Happens whenever the following are run-
1) Game - Age of Empires 2
2) Game - Quake 3 Arena
3) Game - Heroes of Might & Magic 3
4) ACDSee 6.0 - When batch converting a directory containing lots of graphics which takes a lot of time.
5) PSP7 - Same as for ACDSee.

When I use applications which do not hog the CPU, e.g. MS Word, Excel, internet browsing, etc, there is no problem.

My first suspicion is the CPU itself. It may not be getting cooled enough. But then, the CPU fan seems to be working fine -

the fan is working and hot air is coming out as usual.

I was wondering if there was a mechanism whereby if the CPU is hotter than allowed the laptop is shutdown automatically by

the OS or BIOS. It could be that the air ducts are clogged a bit and it is not cooling the CPU enough. (btw, i have not tinkered with the original settings) In this case I would

like to open up the laptop & check for any air vent clogging. (I am a bit far from the nearest authorised servicing center

and the guarantee/warranty has expired).

But before I take such drastic action I would like some suggestions. :)

(BTW, I have been using/assembling/upgrading desktop computers for my use at home since the days of 80486DX. The laptop is

the first branded PC I have bought so far and I am itching to peek into its innards :twisted: ).

Thanks.

Nemesis

Wise Old Owl
I would think that it is an overheating problem. Laptops are designed to shut down when their temperature goes above a certain limit. I know this because I have seen it happen on a friend's system. His Dell XPS shut down and wouldn't restart back. When we were finally able to restart it, a message let us know that the laptop had to be shut down in order to prevent damage due to overheating. Often, it is the fans and/or air vents that cause problems. Is anything obstructing the free flow of air near the fans?? How about your desk/surface where you place the laptop? Does it heat up a lot when you are using the laptop? You could open it up if you really want to look inside :D

pradeep_chauhan

Cyborg Agent
A laptop cooler is an addon that is connected below the laptop (a tray like device) that has additional fans which help cool the laptop when used for extensive periods. The device can be operated on bty but genrally is powered by mains through an adaptor.

OP
qarch

qarch

Going green anyone?
Hi pradeep,

Thanks for the suggestion.

My feeling is that the laptop was working fine before, and it's condition may be revertible. I have given myself 7 days since posting. After that I open up my laptop. If it still doesn't work then laptop cooler it is. Unless there are other suggestions.

super_i_man

Broken In
Sorry for my ignorance: How to check the temperature of my laptop form windows XP. One of my friends suggested to go to the CMOS or BIOS at boot up, but I want to see the temperatue in windows.

cyberia.in

In the zone
laptops temd to get heated much quicker than pc's. also, you can use low power options, and keep wi-fi off, and dont put the laptop in a stuffy corner

OP
qarch

qarch

Going green anyone?
super_i_man said:
Sorry for my ignorance: How to check the temperature of my laptop form windows XP. One of my friends suggested to go to the CMOS or BIOS at boot up, but I want to see the temperatue in windows.

I use speedfan. It was included in one of the digits of 2005 (can't remember which one). It is used to monitor temp of different parts of laptop/PC like cpu, hdd, etc and change speed of fan to lower temps. Runs in win98-XP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom