laptop compulsory in engg?

setanjan123

In the zone
I dont know if the post is in the right section. If not pls move it. Now to my query: my wbjee results will be out soon and ill go for either b.tech(cs or it) or b.c.a. My question is do engg colleges like techno,heritage,b.p poddar etc require u to buy laptop from them? Is buying a lappy compulsory? I want 2 knw this soon becz m planning 2 buy a desktop next month. I cant afford both. Pls reply soon.

rakesh_ic

Cyborg Agent
Your requirements to planning on buying a desktop must be specified here. If you can do the same thing with a laptop, I would say you should get yourself a laptop

OP
setanjan123

setanjan123

In the zone
I am buying a desktop for mainly gaming. Coding will be done too. I will be travelling to college from home evryday so i dont need a lappy. Ive thought that over. My question is do colleges force students to buy a laptop from them?

rakesh_ic

Cyborg Agent
I am buying a desktop for mainly gaming. Coding will be done too. I will be travelling to college from home evryday so i dont need a lappy. Ive thought that over. My question is do colleges force students to buy a laptop from them?

No college as far as I know will force someone to buy anything like a laptop from them. Now that you already chose to get yourself a desktop, I dont see anything that u cant do with a desktop in terms of processing that you will be able to do with a laptop otherwise.

but if the college wants you to carry a laptop with you daily, then will have to consider that. But I still wonder why will an engg college requires someone to have a laptop or carry it to college.

OP
setanjan123

setanjan123

In the zone
[MENTION=6161]rakesh[/MENTION] thx for answering. I checked out some college websites. One college said to avail their e learning service one has 2 buy laptop from them. But it aint compulsory. Only thing is that one cant carry their own laptop that isnt bought from college becoz and this is exactly what was written" it will have pirated software and college provided laptops will have legit software blah blah". As if all comps in that college's lab run legit windows lol. As far as e learning is concerned i have much better options at free of cost rather than paying them for maybe some bull$#!T e learning course. So desktop it is!

doomgiver

Warframe
@rakesh thx for answering. I checked out some college websites. One college said to avail their e learning service one has 2 buy laptop from them. But it aint compulsory. Only thing is that one cant carry their own laptop that isnt bought from college becoz and this is exactly what was written" it will have pirated software and college provided laptops will have legit software blah blah". As if all comps in that college's lab run legit windows lol. As far as e learning is concerned i have much better options at free of cost rather than paying them for maybe some bull$#!T e learning course. So desktop it is!

**** these "colleges". your PC should be yours.

decide what kind of stuff you wanna do, and plan accordingly.

dont just think that expensive = better. i fell in that trap 6 years ago, bought a hp laptop of 55k, which had a worse proccy than a similar, but cheaper 45k laptop.

if you can afford, i'd suggest buying a desktop PLUS a cheap/2nd hand laptop/tablet. my friend recently bought a used thinkpad (T series or something) for just 4k. and it got quite decent hardware.

as usual, RESEARCH before taking any step.

cheers!

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
[MENTION=6161]rakesh[/MENTION] thx for answering. I checked out some college websites. One college said to avail their e learning service one has 2 buy laptop from them. But it aint compulsory. Only thing is that one cant carry their own laptop that isnt bought from college becoz and this is exactly what was written" it will have pirated software and college provided laptops will have legit software blah blah". As if all comps in that college's lab run legit windows lol. As far as e learning is concerned i have much better options at free of cost rather than paying them for maybe some bull$#!T e learning course. So desktop it is!

Those who made this rule have gone nuts.
College provided laptops aren't worth buying. They procure those laptops with 30-40% discount on market price and sell them to the students at mrp :mad:

s18000rpm

ಠ_ಠ
^yeah. Wipro/hcl strike a deal with these guys. both make huge profit.

Even Wipro employees avoid Wipro laptops :p

Minion

Conversation Architect

Get youself a laptop imagine after 4 yrs when you completed your b.tech you need to travel a lot in search of jobs what will you do if have a desktop.

Minion

Conversation Architect
^No but suppose you want to go to Pune,Nodia etc for jobs search then carrying a desktop is pain in ass.

OP
setanjan123

setanjan123

In the zone
Ill get a cheap 2nd hand laptop then as doomgiver mentiond. Now gaming is a priority and m on a budget so. And desktops r cheaper 2 repair

Last edited:

mastercool8695

Cyborg Agent
yep.
a desktop is always better than a laptop.
and +1 for doomgiver's reply ,: **** those colleges who want you to use their laptops.

thinking of repair already ? :lol:
get yourself a laptop after say, 2 years.
just you should have a computer at hand.
a laptop you buy now, you won't want to use it after 4 years.

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
Laptop is useful everywhere whether it is a engineering collage or any other education. You can practice some programming in it and can download lots of study material for study, you will need it in every step you take for engineering education

:facepalm:

At least read what the OP had posted

Top Bottom