Lag in all games (even 10 year old games)

Varunnagwekar

Semi-Geek
Hi guys,

This is the config I have:

AMD Athlon 64x2 Dual Core Processor 6000+
2 GB DDR2 RaM
ASUS M2N-MX SE Mobo
ATI 4870 HD with the latest drivers
Windows 7 32 bit

I have a very peculiar problem on my pc, which I haven't been able to solve since a long time which has emerged suddenly. The thing is, all my 3d Games lag. All in the sense, even games like half life, a game which I could play on my Celeron based pc around 10 years ago! Considering the setup I have, this really makes me sick to the core. I know that I don't have the latest and the greatest system on this earth but certainly PC should be able to play Half life for Christ's sake!

What happens is that all the games plays normally for about 5-10 seconds, then suddenly the game will lag for like about 3-4 seconds, then again play well for another 5-10 seconds, then another lag. When I open task manager, my CPU utilization becomes 100% for those brief periods. And it's not any process that's getting 100%, its just my explorer.exe getting 100%.

This problem first happened to me around 6 months ago, but after a brief stint of one month the problem suddenly vanished without me doing anything. But this time, this problem just refuses to go.

Now here's a list of the things that I have tried.

Restoring a clean image of my windows 7 from backup.
Reinstalling windows 7
Playing without drivers immediately after installation.
Using the latest ATI drivers
Using the old ATI drivers
Defragging my partitions
Disc checking my hard drive for errors.
Virus scanning/Malware scanning my partitions
Disabling anti-virus and other background utilities while playing.
Installing windows XP
Blowing the dust off the CPU with a blower. (A lot of dust got cleaned this way)
Removing and reinserting the RAM modules into the mobo.
Playing immediately after starting the PC, to find out if the problem is heating. I even bought a very good Cooler Master cabinet to ensure this. And I know for sure, that heating is not a problem.

Additional info:
Games tried: (Both on full graphics with everything on and lowest graphics)

Trine
Half life: Opposing force and Blue Shift
Half life 2: Episode 1
Dungeons and Dragons Online
Vindictus
and a host of others.

I could play all the above games on full graphics with everything maxed out. But after this problem, these games refuse to play even on the lowest settings. As you can see, I have tried out almost everything I could. But yet I was unable to solve the problem. I was hoping you guys could help me find out what the problem could be.

Thanks.

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
^WoW..u have tried 14solution steps gr8.....

Regarding ur problem i think its RAM issue...not sure....
try another DDR2 RAM & test the games then.....
ur video card is good...

Debu_013

Freshly Churned Chutny :)
i once had a similar problem, it was because of the RAM, try taking ur RAM stick out and clean in and fit it back in again, and try if it works.
Else, u may have to get a new RAM...
Have u tried clean formated ur PC, and Disk Checker?

OP
V

Varunnagwekar

Semi-Geek
@thetechfreak, I don't have a process called regvsr. exe running, and I am pretty sure, its not a virus.
@Debu_013, even I was thinking it could be a ram problem. I have two ram modules, so maybe I could check them one by one and find out if its a problem with the ram and/or the ram slot.
@vickybat, I couldn't install and run the memstat86+ software. i tried downloading and installing the USB version on my usb drive, but didn't understand what I was supposed to do later on. I mean, I couldn't exactly find an exe file to run the software. I would like to check this software out before I start tinkering with my hardware.

Thanks guys for posting those replies.

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
after you start the game end the explorer.exe..after youre done launch it again via taskmanager

minimise game hiting alt+tab

gameranand

Living to Play
Ricky said:
Just curious ..

Is this issue resolved ?..
As you can see that OP has not reported back so there is a possibility that issue is solved because usually Thread starters don't come if problem is solved. :D :))

gameranand

Living to Play
Zangestu said:
if they r not obliged then it happens
Sad for OP.
Well but I must say that the problem was quite strange. He didn't reported if RAM were faulty or not but if they weren't then that was big ass problem. I am guessing that RAM was faulty but thread starters should at least report back to their thread about the problem and the progress. But its upto them not us. :)

Top Bottom