Kwrite not opening - OpenSUSE 11.1/KDE 4.1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cool G5

Conversation Architect
I tried to edit the wvdial.conf using kwrite, but it does not opens up after issuing the kwrite /etc/wvdial.conf command.

After searching, I could not get any positive responses. Some are having problems with kwrite too in kDE 4.1. I am using OpenSUSE 11.1 KDE version. Is it only for me or you too are facing some issues with kwrite in KDE 4.1?

sganesh

Journeyman
ya,i also faced that problem,But i solved it.
By default wvdial package will not be present ,
Goto yast-software Management->
Search for wvdial Package,install it,
After that try issuing
kwrite /etc/wvdial.conf
,it works
All above can be done only using root login or by using su command

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
This has to be the most odd problem-solution set I've ever seen on this forum.

[If the problem, by any holy or unholy chance, is not related to wvdial and still persists, do give us the debug output of KWrite you would get when you run it as a command from Konsole]

Pat

Beyond Smart
This has to be the most odd problem-solution set I've ever seen on this forum.

[If the problem, by any holy or unholy chance, is not related to wvdial and still persists, do give us the debug output of KWrite you would get when you run it as a command from Konsole]

I think the problem is not with KWrite not opening, its because of the missing file (because the package is not installed).

OP
Cool G5

Cool G5

Conversation Architect
Any solutions guys? Not getting any positive response even on OpenSUSE forums.

Should kwrite be installed again?

Hitboxx

Juke Box Hero
Although not a KDE user, but still here is what I think. Kwrite is an office application, part of KOffice, like MS Word, and you don't use a full blown office app to edit general system files. Most users that I know of, remove KOffice completely from their systems and install OpenOffice.org, that being said I'm not saying it is not possible to edit using Kwrite, just it's not a general behaviour.

The actually used app to edit such files on the KDE desktop is Kate. Try that, it is built for such things and also programming elements.

Finally, is wvdial installed at all in the first place? A 'locate wvdial' command at the terminal should throw up the info. Have you checked if it is installed or not?

NucleusKore

TheSaint
Click on KMenu, and in the search box type kwrite as shown

*img187.imageshack.us/img187/6104/kwjk2.th.png

Then click on the entry you get and see if it opens

Hitboxx

Juke Box Hero
Damn damn damn!! Sorry! Ignore my previous post please, I got it all messed up. Kwrite isn't an office app, it is another basic text editor, a somewhat simple Kate, if you will. I got confused it with something else.

I apologize for the wrong info :p

Have you installed wvdial?

OP
Cool G5

Cool G5

Conversation Architect
I just now unistalled kwrite :( Downloading kate.

wvdial is in it's default place i.e /etc

sganesh

Journeyman
k ,may i know for what reason,u r going giong to edit wvdial.conf.
i assume u want to connect internet thro ur mobile gprs.
if so,
1.login in as root
2.go to /etc/ location
3.right click wvdial.conf and open that with any editor like (Openoffice,kate,kwrite)
if that file not present ,install that
and configure it!!

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
I think the problem is not with KWrite not opening, its because of the missing file (because the package is not installed).
Eh? All editors would include a warning if a location is not writable. And what has the package got to do with the existence of a file, an editor can create one when it is said to, having required permissions.

Oh and Pat, he clearly mentions the editor is not opening. Do try kwrite /some/non/writable/location and see for yourself if the editor opens or not, cause it would.

The only problem you can face with writing/reading files with an editor are cause of permission or disk errors, which in the former's case, can be cleared with the use of sudo and such commands:

Code:
sudo kwrite /etc/wvdial.conf
Also, just saying "There's a problem." is of no help. What's the debug output for? And if there is none, at least mention the same and give the output of dmesg | tail -n 1 immediately after the command (Faults are registered there, if any).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom