Kindly suggest a light, good battery work laptop under 60K

parijatgaur

Right off the assembly line
Hi Guys,

Would greatly appreciate your advice. What laptop would you suggest based on the following?

1) What is your budget? (INR 60,000)

2) What size & weight consideration (if any) would you prefer?
Screen Size: 14" to 15.6"
Weight: Not exceeding 2.3 Kg

3) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?
Microsoft office, regular browsing and multimedia.
Some graphics intensive work: Eg: Photoshop and Lightroom for image editing.

5) Any typical configuration in your mind you're eying for ?
3rd Gen Ci5, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD (with 20-30 GB HDD if possible), 9 Cell Battery

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
None

6) Anything else you would like to say?
Battery back up : As much as possible. 9 Cell Battery.
Purchase place: Online or Local

I have another question. I am leaning towards Dell Inspiron 15z 5523 Ultrabook. But reviews point it to have poor battery life. I can buy a separate 9 cell battery for it but that would be waste of money.Is there any vendor which can provide the laptop with 9 cell battery itself for some extra charge. DELL showroom guy told me that they cannot accommodate this. Strange.

kkn13

Cyber Genius FTW
Hi Guys,

Would greatly appreciate your advice. What laptop would you suggest based on the following?

1) What is your budget? (INR 60,000)

2) What size & weight consideration (if any) would you prefer?
Screen Size: 14" to 15.6"
Weight: Not exceeding 2.3 Kg

3) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?
Microsoft office, regular browsing and multimedia.
Some graphics intensive work: Eg: Photoshop and Lightroom for image editing.

5) Any typical configuration in your mind you're eying for ?
3rd Gen Ci5, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD (with 20-30 GB HDD if possible), 9 Cell Battery

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
None

6) Anything else you would like to say?
Battery back up : As much as possible. 9 Cell Battery.
Purchase place: Online or Local

I have another question. I am leaning towards Dell Inspiron 15z 5523 Ultrabook. But reviews point it to have poor battery life. I can buy a separate 9 cell battery for it but that would be waste of money.Is there any vendor which can provide the laptop with 9 cell battery itself for some extra charge. DELL showroom guy told me that they cannot accommodate this. Strange.
MacBook Air only for battery life - Apple MD711HN/A MacBook Air (4th Gen Ci5/ 4GB/ 128GB Flash/ Mac OS X Mountain Lion) Rs.61000 Price in India - Buy Apple MD711HN/A MacBook Air (4th Gen Ci5/ 4GB/ 128GB Flash/ Mac OS X Mountain Lion) Silver Online - Apple: Flipkart.com
Only issue is its hdd which is 128gb
Otherwise dell is better overall but the battery is smaller

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
Macs are the best for battery life. If MBA's screen is too small then consider Dell Inspiron 15, it has a solid battery life too. I have personally run it more than 12 hours.

kkn13

Cyber Genius FTW
Macs are the best for battery life. If MBA's screen is too small then consider Dell Inspiron 15, it has a solid battery life too. I have personally run it more than 12 hours.

if what ur saying is true , the inspiron 15 is the clear winner here
macbook air is like a tablet and nothing can be upgraded unlike other laptops where basic stuff atleast can be upgraded such as hdd and ram

i must also report that two of my friends have the 13' 2013 mba and within a few months their battery lives reduced to 3-4 hours with low brightness etc
i think the mba is just a gimmick regarding battery life because a quick google revealed mba battery degrades faster than other laptops

@op imo get the inspiron 15 like Seamon said
the dell has better service than apple(mapple and unicorn india resellers and official service centers)
the dell can also be upgraded easily to an ssd with the default hdd in a caddy if needed in the future
the ram also can be upgraded to 16gb (unofficially) and 8gb (officially acc to dell)
the mba is a great laptop but the price and the quality(of battery and overheating issues) are rather sad in comparison to inspiron 15
also the mba has fixed parts as in the ram,battery,display,cpu etc are all glued to the motherboard and my friends mba's despite having overheating and degraded battery issues within 4 months , were refused service from the mapple service centre and were asked to pay them 30k for a refurbished mba in exchange and the service team was unable to diagnose the issue

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
yea I used my Dell Inspiron for torrenting once. Started at 12:30 am and battery ran out somewhere between 11-12 the next morning. Laptop screen was on the whole time in min brightness.

kkn13

Cyber Genius FTW
yea I used my Dell Inspiron for torrenting once. Started at 12:30 am and battery ran out somewhere between 11-12 the next morning. Laptop screen was on the whole time in min brightness.

possible in torrenting but the battery life wont be 12 hrs for normal use
my insprion turbo lasts 7-8 hrs torrenting ,2 hrs gaming and 3-5hrs browsing
still mines the stock 6 cell battery

imo op should get the inspiron 15 and buy a 9 cell battery that should be a better and much more vfm deal than the mba unless hes willing to take a risk with the mba(not recommended imo)
after speaking to my friends with macbook airs id say its not worth the risk

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
12 hrs torrenting with screen on. Usually people let the screen switch off when torrenting but there's a weird bug in mine so I have the leave the screen on. That's like reading right?

kkn13

Cyber Genius FTW
12 hrs torrenting with screen on. Usually people let the screen switch off when torrenting but there's a weird bug in mine so I have the leave the screen on. That's like reading right?

i doubt with screen on 12 hrs
are u sure it has the screen on? usually the screen shuts off automatically after a few hours
or which battery do u have? 6 cell or 9 cell?

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
i doubt with screen on 12 hrs
are u sure it has the screen on? usually the screen shuts off automatically after a few hours
or which battery do u have? 6 cell or 9 cell?

I am 100% sure screen was on. My Inspiron 15 has a bug that whenever the screen shuts down, laptop goes into some sort of weird mode and refuses to work. So I had to put the option of "Never" to "turn off display" in power management. IDK which battery but it's 70Wh I think.

OP
P

parijatgaur

Thanks a ton guys.

I am currently confused between

1. Inspiron 15Z (3rd Gen Ci5/ 8GB/ 500GB 32GB SSD) Battery: 45W 6 Cell
Dell Inspiron 15z 5523 Ultrabook (3rd Gen Ci5/ 8GB/ 500GB 32GB SSD/ Win8/ 2GB Graph) Rs.52850 Price in India - Buy Dell Inspiron 15z 5523 Ultrabook (3rd Gen Ci5/ 8GB/ 500GB 32GB SSD/ Win8/ 2GB Graph) Moon Silver Online - Dell: Flipkart.com

2. Inspiron 15 (4th Gen Ci5/ 6GB/ 1TB/ No SSD) Battery : 65W 6 Cell
Dell Inspiron 15 Laptop (4th Gen Ci5/ 6GB/ 1TB/ Win8/ 2GB Graph) Rs.47500 Price in India - Buy Dell Inspiron 15 Laptop (4th Gen Ci5/ 6GB/ 1TB/ Win8/ 2GB Graph) Black Online - Dell: Flipkart.com

While Inspiron 15Z has lower processor, do you guys think the 32 GB SSD gives it advantage? Various internet sources seem to think so, especially for opening programs.

How it Works: Intel SSD Caching - Puget Custom Computers

Also, as most important thing is battery for me, should they last similarly with a 9 Cell battery pack?

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
32GB SSD should improve boot up speed a little and also speed up Adobe programs. It's better to remove that 32GB SSD and upgrade to a full fledged SSD along with the hard drive.

OP
P

parijatgaur

I agree Seamon. But that would be too expensive for now. What about battery life? How would both fare with same 9 cell battery pack?

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
I agree Seamon. But that would be too expensive for now. What about battery life? How would both fare with same 9 cell battery pack?

Not at all if your budget is 60k.
128 GB msata SSD Plextor costs 8k here.
Buy SSD - Online SSD Drive For Laptop - Desktop in India
No idea about 9 cell battery, never used it.

kkn13

Cyber Genius FTW
Thanks a ton guys.

I am currently confused between

1. Inspiron 15Z (3rd Gen Ci5/ 8GB/ 500GB 32GB SSD) Battery: 45W 6 Cell
Dell Inspiron 15z 5523 Ultrabook (3rd Gen Ci5/ 8GB/ 500GB 32GB SSD/ Win8/ 2GB Graph) Rs.52850 Price in India - Buy Dell Inspiron 15z 5523 Ultrabook (3rd Gen Ci5/ 8GB/ 500GB 32GB SSD/ Win8/ 2GB Graph) Moon Silver Online - Dell: Flipkart.com

2. Inspiron 15 (4th Gen Ci5/ 6GB/ 1TB/ No SSD) Battery : 65W 6 Cell
Dell Inspiron 15 Laptop (4th Gen Ci5/ 6GB/ 1TB/ Win8/ 2GB Graph) Rs.47500 Price in India - Buy Dell Inspiron 15 Laptop (4th Gen Ci5/ 6GB/ 1TB/ Win8/ 2GB Graph) Black Online - Dell: Flipkart.com

While Inspiron 15Z has lower processor, do you guys think the 32 GB SSD gives it advantage? Various internet sources seem to think so, especially for opening programs.

How it Works: Intel SSD Caching - Puget Custom Computers

Also, as most important thing is battery for me, should they last similarly with a 9 Cell battery pack?
get the 15z with a 9cell if u can
the ssd will ensure excellent battery life and speed

Top Bottom