Key Lime Pie: Features you want to see

quagmire

Allllright !
With Google I/O round the corner we might witness the next iteration of Android, whether its 4.3 or 5.0 is unclear..

A poll on CNETrevealed users voted for the following features in descending order:

Multiwindow capability for having several apps open at once.

A sweet backup service to compete with iCloud.

Separate work and personal profiles, like BlackBerry 10 has.

An iOS Games Center-like service

Techradar has their own wishlist :

1. Performance Profiles

2. Better multiple device support

3. Enhanced social network support

4. Line-drawing keyboard options

5. A video chat app

6. Multi-select in the contacts

7. Cross-device SMS sync

8. A "Never Update" option

9. App preview/freebie codes

Any specific features do you want to see?

BTW this a infographic on Androids versions and major version features:

*www.knowyourmobile.com/sites/knowyourmobilecom/files/styles/insert_main_wide_image/public/android-history-infographic-640_0.jpg

Last edited:

AndroidFan

Peak Oil is real!
The most expected feature would be Babel, a unified text+video chat app integrated into Android.

Another thing I would love to see in the new version of Android is an option which would allow users of OEM devices from Samsung, HTC, Sony, LG and others to switch to stock ROM instead of skinned ROMs shipped by manufacturer.

Other than that, some great code optimizations into Android which would make it more efficient and increase battery life of existing hardware which would get this update... Like abandoning inefficient Dalvik VM (Java) for a more efficient Mono-based OS (C#) -- My Brain Hurts: Dalvik vs Mono

Also see -- C#: The Future of Android? – xda-developers

But this is unlikely...

daksh

Journeyman
The most expected feature would be Babel, a unified text+video chat app integrated into Android.

Another thing I would love to see in the new version of Android is an option which would allow users of OEM devices from Samsung, HTC, Sony, LG and others to switch to stock ROM instead of skinned ROMs shipped by manufacturer.

Other than that, some great code optimizations into Android which would make it more efficient and increase battery life of existing hardware which would get this update... Like abandoning inefficient Dalvik VM (Java) for a more efficient Mono-based OS (C#) -- My Brain Hurts: Dalvik vs Mono

Also see -- C#: The Future of Android? – xda-developers

But this is unlikely...

I think that allowing users to use Stock ROM is more dependent on the OEM than Google. For example, on HTC's facebook phone you can disable the facebook home UI and use stock ROM on it.
Though, practically speaking, this would be very tough. The optimizations and the tweaks by these manufacturers run very deep and its tough to change them within the same ROM. You will need to have two different messgaing/dialler/etc apps for everything, a difference notification bar and what not.

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
Optimum use of battery. I want nothing else. I just fcking hate charging it thrice a day and always on the look out where is a plug-point. My next mobile is going to have agood battery back-up I no more care if its LAVA, MAXX or some chinese phone....

nikufellow

In the zone
Possibility to remote wipe via one's Google account so that one doesn't have to pay for and depend on third party apps

R2K

In the Zone
Optimum use of battery. I want nothing else. I just fcking hate charging it thrice a day and always on the look out where is a plug-point. My next mobile is going to have agood battery back-up I no more care if its LAVA, MAXX or some chinese phone....

3 times a day? What do you do with your phone all day ? :D

As far a features are concerned i would like to see a smooth interface like that in iOS which I'm pretty sure is not gonna happen in android.

OP
quagmire

quagmire

Allllright !
As far a features are concerned i would like to see a smooth interface like that in iOS which I'm pretty sure is not gonna happen in android.

FYI JB is pretty smooth on an absolute scale.. Comparing it to iOS, would be pointless, where can't even use your note taking app while browsing the net..

guru_urug

iGoogle
Next version of Android is 4.3, KLP will most likely come out with the nexus 5 in November. Android 4.3 @ Google IO will only be an incremental upgrade I think.
Anyway Google is gonna be concentrating on the Gaming aspect of Android this IO. The IO schedule is jam-packed with Gaming related talks. They are gonna push Android as a gaming platform. I hope they succeed, It is very exciting.

AndroidFan

Peak Oil is real!
Next version of Android is 4.3, KLP will most likely come out with the nexus 5 in November. Android 4.3 @ Google IO will only be an incremental upgrade I think.
Anyway Google is gonna be concentrating on the Gaming aspect of Android this IO. The IO schedule is jam-packed with Gaming related talks. They are gonna push Android as a gaming platform. I hope they succeed, It is very exciting.

Day 1 is loaded with Android Gaming...

Day 2 and Day 3 have other things... no gaming there... -- *developers.google.com/events/io/sessions#t-android

Other Interesting items in I/O Schedule...
1. Google Cloud Messaging
2. Android Graphics Performance
3. Android UI Design and App Structure
4. High Performance Audio
5. Android TV

Top Bottom