"Kernel unable to sync"

Status
Not open for further replies.

sam_1710

Youngling
Hello..
I didnt know how to uninstall the RedHat Linux 9.1 i had .. i jus deleted the partition assigned to it thru WINDOWS XP....
After that i installed Open SUSE 10.1 thru the CD version....
Installation was sussessful... but i'm unable to boot!!!!....
i get an error saying that "Kernel unable to sync"

I tried auto repair from da installation disk... but the process hangs and i end up restarting the system when it comes at - AUTOMATIC SYSTEM CHECK : "Executing file system check for partition /dev/hdb5"

NOTE: This happens wid all the distros i try to install!!!

wat am i to do....
please tell me how to solve this problem in a systematic detailed manner....

Manshahia

Resident Fanatic
U sud first fix the mbr for only windows. This can b done-
1. Insert bootable windows cd and on recovery console write FIXMBR.
2. After that format both swap and ext3 partitions.
3. Nw try installing linux.

JGuru

Wise Old Owl
@Sam_1710, Just boot from Windows 98 bootable CD. When the drivers are loaded
& prompt appears, type:

A:/> fdisk /mbr

This will remove the Linux bootloader (GRUB) from the MBR. You can delete the
Linux partitions root('/') & swap from Windows O.S or when installing Linux (during
partitioning). Or if you have a bootable Windows XP CD, boot from it, & do as @Mashahia has posted.

Manshahia

Resident Fanatic
Hey anybody knw how to install GRUB when it has been overwritten by NTLdr? ? And i m also having a DVD of Live linux. Also this installed over my harddisk.

OP
sam_1710

sam_1710

Youngling
@ JGuru, @ Manshahia :
This aint solving my problem!!! .. when i try installing Ubuntu 6.06 even before the instalation process begins (i.e when its preparing for the instalation) the system hangs at : "[4294754.192000] [<c010311e>] work_notifysig+0x13/0x25" ..
:(

JGuru

Wise Old Owl
@Sam_1710, Ubuntu has some problems with certain hardware. You must boot Ubuntu
in Safe Graphics Mode. Do you have a onboard GC? Even in 'Safe Graphics Mode'
if things don't go smoothly in Ubuntu, then you need to download the 'Alternate CD'
of Ubuntu , use it to install Ubuntu.

OP
sam_1710

sam_1710

Youngling
i've got a NVidia GeForce2 MX/MX400 ... but i'll try as you said and then post the result...

screenshot : *img133.imageshack.us/img133/5662/1stre8.jpg

whenever i try installing normally it stops here...

screenshot : *img100.imageshack.us/img100/4655/04112006044qy8.jpg

i dont want to download that 'Alternate CD' .. any other solution?? Can i try installing SUSE 10.1 again??

Last edited:

JGuru

Wise Old Owl
@Sam_1710, Ubuntu loads the generic drivers, which are not compatible with your
GC/hardware. That's why this whole problem arises. Installing Ubuntu using the 'Alternate CD'
should solve your problem. You may try installing Suse 10.1 Linux. Just give it a try.

praka123

left this forum longback
during the boot,perhaps u may choose the last option(F7?) and choose what modules u want to load during install.leave those h/w u dont want to detect,after completing install edit ur /etc/X11/xorg.xonf to put"vesa" driver for X if u've got propreitory drivers like Nvidia/Ati etc. after the installation u can apt-get those drivers-installl and verything will work good.i believe u can install from current install cd itself choosing correct boot parameters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom