Keeping Pc on during Lightstorm

Status
Not open for further replies.

sysfilez

Welcome To The Jungle
I wanted to know is it safe to keep my pc running when we are having thunder light storms? how will it affect my pc. i generally unplug my cable conn. to tv tuner card.

janitha

Wise Old Owl
It is by all means safer to shut down, pull off the mains plug and disconnect the modem/router. We cant say when the lightning strikes near. Four years back, my Mobo, SMPS, external dial up modem, UPS and Fridge were damaged by a single lightning. Whether it is near to or far from a window does'nt matter at all!

OP
sysfilez

sysfilez

Welcome To The Jungle
janitha said:
It is by all means safer to shut down, pull off the mains plug and disconnect the modem/router. We cant say when the lightning strikes near. Four years back, my Mobo, SMPS, external dial up modem, UPS and Fridge were damaged by a single lightning. Whether it is near to or far from a window does'nt matter at all!
u scare me buddy coz usually i keep my pc running wen it thunderstorms. i will try and keep it off during those time. tnx 4 the suggestions.

Rollercoaster

-The BlacKCoaT Operative-
NO NO NO

i have had my motherboard, tv tuner, adsl modem, Tv set, telephone burnt due to a lightening strike near my home... even thru a spike a buster!
luckily it was al under warrenty.

Sourabh

Laptoping
Ah painful memories. Been at the recieving end of this more than a couple of times. Fried network cards, a tv tuner, gfx card, switch, router -I hope I am not missing something. The power fluctuations during lightenings have even managed to burn the laptop AC adaptor and the circuitry inside two times in a gap of 3 days too. Luckily both the times I was working on the desktop PC and my laptop had been switched off. Needless to say I hate rains, I hate thunderstorms, I hate the lightenings along with it. I unplug every cable from the PC in such cases.

janitha

Wise Old Owl
Sourabh said:
Ah painful memories. Been at the recieving end of this more than a couple of times. Fried network cards, a tv tuner, gfx card, switch, router -I hope I am not missing something. The power fluctuations during lightenings have even managed to burn the laptop AC adaptor and the circuitry inside two times in a gap of 3 days too. Luckily both the times I was working on the desktop PC and my laptop had been switched off. Needless to say I hate rains, I hate thunderstorms, I hate the lightenings along with it. I unplug every cable from the PC in such cases.

Dont hate them. Switch off your PC and get some time to be with nature. The reason for many of todays maladies are that we are going away from nature. Find some time to enjoy the rains, lightnings etc. You will never regret it.

Sourabh

Laptoping
Wouldn't be here much if I liked the nature so much. I am not the person who goes dancing around bushes, enjoying the rains and dancing in the lightnings. Never was. Best I could do and did was to unplug the computer and wait for things to get back to normalcy. I hope not being with nature doesnt make me a loser.

busyanuj

In the zone
last time lightning caused destruction, my cordless phone went bust but the D-link external dialup modem survived the "shock". (that was in 2001).

OP
sysfilez

sysfilez

Welcome To The Jungle
janitha said:
Dont hate them. Switch off your PC and get some time to be with nature. The reason for many of todays maladies are that we are going away from nature. Find some time to enjoy the rains, lightnings etc. You will never regret it.
i really love wen it rains along with lightening, i keep my pc on during tat time coz i listen to songs. its very romantic.

techno_funky

da' Ťurntable ruleth
jz2linkinpark said:
what do you mean?
even your a mod...
There are quite a few So(a)urabhs here
1 being the mod another the new MVP saurabh theres another user by the name saurabh, so that is why i specifically mentioned the mod sourabh :p .

DukeNukem

Come get Some
sysfilez said:
i really love wen it rains along with lightening, i keep my pc on during tat time coz i listen to songs. its very romantic.

we at faridabad haryana dont have Ele supp. during that period coz Govt. here love us and is helping us to keep our comp. turned off (LOL)

OP
sysfilez

sysfilez

Welcome To The Jungle
i just wanted to add one more thing, is it still risky to run pc during lightstorm even thou its powered thru a good UPS?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom