Hi, Just give me your ears for a while.
My set up is
K7N2 Delta ilsr mobo
Athlon 3200+ with Thermaltake volacano 10+ all copper heat sink
Kingston DDR 400 512 MB running in dual channel mode
2 Seagate 120 GB SATA HDD configured in RAID 0 mode
FX 5600 256 mb graphics
Antec True Power 430 watts SMPS

Now, my problem is that my PC just won't run unless I underclock(!) my 3200 + . I've tried loading default values in the BIOS, flashed it, pampered the cab with lots of cooling fans and even tried leaving my Antec server cab open. . I have a mammoth cab, 6 fans in total for the cab. At boot up the cpu temp is around 43 C and it hovers around 55 C to 61 C after windows boots up(XP pro sp1).The moment I start doing the least CPU intensive programme, the CPU just freezes. No BSOD, no nothing. It just locks up. The thing is , it runs almost perfectly when the CPU FSB is underclocked at 333 mhz. But I bought a 400 FSB cpu and u can start to get my problem. Any bright ideas, anyone? ANYONE? HELP!!!

Sinnet

Broken In
hmm
mebbe ur CPU is faulty :(
get it checked thru a AMD service centre :)
woz ur CPU boxed ?
neway get the CPU checked :)
enjoy :)
PS : USING ANY OTHER HEATSINK / FAN COMBO OTHER THAN SUPPLIED BY AMD WITH THE BOX VOID'S THE WARRANTY :)
so when u send the cpu for check send the original hsf or atleast dont tell u use thermaltake :)

OP
N

Naga

Broken In
CPU's okay. Had it tested. And it is box packed. U think it'll help if I tried a liquid cooling solution? U see at 333 mhz FSB, my cpu works just fine. It's only when I rise the FSB to the default 400 Mhz that the CPU starts to misbehave and the temp starts rising like there's no tommorrow. Can there be some RAM related prob? Cos guys over at MSI forum think that the mobo sucks when paired with Kingston. Course I can't check as all the modules that I have are Kingston and that too 333 Mhz. What do u suggest/ Go for expensive Corsair or try a liquid cooling solution?

Sinnet

Broken In
sounds odd :)
neway check ur present heatsink / cooling fan first :)
when running if u can read the word AMD written on it then it's running slower than required :(
but if u cant read AMD on the fan then it's fine :)
then get a tube of special thermal interface material and replace the present material on the heatsink :D and see if it helps :)
if this too dosent help :( then get some basic hynix RAM modules from a pal or someone to check with the system :D and if this too dosent solve the problem only then go in for a water cooling system as water coolers r expensive :D
PS : dont buy simple thermal grease (white) in a small plastic bottle for RS10 per bottle :( it;'s crap . only buy branded stuff recommended by AMD :D it will cost like 600-800 per tube :D

blade_runner

Cyborg Agent
Hey dude, try obtaining some other brand Ram modules and install those and then see if it solves ur problem. As for water cooling any day is definitely a good day for it, if u have the cash to splurge. :)

Hey sinnet u got that thermaltake aquarius ??

OP
N

Naga

Broken In
I'm using Arctic Silver 5 as the thermal interface. I'll try to get some other brand RAM. Yhanks

OP
N

Naga

Broken In
Forgot to mention. The main reason for buying Kingston was that my PC would'nt boot with generic Hynix Ram. The mobo has a self diagnosing led bracket that showed RAM error. And I don't know anyone who can supply me with any other branded RAM for testing. So it's either Corsair (I'll have to order by mail)) or Aquarius. The corsair TwinMX series cost a whopping 16 K for 1 GB pair. As for the Aquarius, I have sent a mail to the dealer and am waiting for a response. So what should it be? RAM or Cooler?

blade_runner

Cyborg Agent
Naga said:
Forgot to mention. The main reason for buying Kingston was that my PC would'nt boot with generic Hynix Ram. The mobo has a self diagnosing led bracket that showed RAM error. And I don't know anyone who can supply me with any other branded RAM for testing. So it's either Corsair (I'll have to order by mail)) or Aquarius. The corsair TwinMX series cost a whopping 16 K for 1 GB pair. As for the Aquarius, I have sent a mail to the dealer and am waiting for a response. So what should it be? RAM or Cooler?

Maybe the Ram was faulty. If the corsair is costly first try the cooler.

Sinnet

Broken In
nah aint got aquaris yet :(
i sent a mail for inqury to the primeabgb :)
but i am upgrading my ram to ddr400 now and then i need a decent case like antec and then after all that i'll go for the cooler :p
cos i got no overheat issues :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom