Just got my Lenovo B490 laptop. Need help with drivers

ithehappy

Human Spambot
Hi, I purchased Lenovo B490 laptop today. It's this model, Lenovo B490 (59-381836) Laptop (3rd Gen Ci3/ 2GB/ 500GB/ DOS) Rs.30900 Price in India - Buy Lenovo B490 (59-381836) Laptop (3rd Gen Ci3/ 2GB/ 500GB/ DOS) Black Online - Lenovo: Flipkart.com

But when I try to download WiFi drivers there are three options listed, Realtek, Broadcom and Intel PROSet, which one to download?

Thanks.

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
I bought the same laptop for my friend, and as far as I remember (though I don't remember anything :p), it should be Intel/Realtek.

Just check the hardware ID to find out the OEM; I always use that to download the correct driver.

OP
ithehappy

ithehappy

Human Spambot
Under BIOS it says LAN as Realtek, that doesn't mean Wireless LAN is Realtek too, or is it? This is really bad move by Lenovo! They should have provided a driver CD or something :/

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
I think the BIOS should have the information regarding which wifi card you have, check it out.

Nope. A BIOS has hardly any info about the hardware (other than the core), ever.

Hardware ID? Is that a software or what?

Open Device manager, from there select the probable wifi adapter (with missing driver). Right click, and properties.

*i.imgur.com/N3Du12s.jpg

Now, go to details tab, and select Hardware ID from the drop down menu.

*i.imgur.com/0Z5suxA.jpg

Copy the Hardware ID and Google it.

*i.imgur.com/IwuA1Nk.jpg

bingo !

- - - Updated - - -

Under BIOS it says LAN as Realtek, that doesn't mean Wireless LAN is Realtek too, or is it? This is really bad move by Lenovo! They should have provided a driver CD or something :/

Now a days, most of the companies try to escape it just to cut costs. I hardly know one providing it.

anirbandd

Conversation Architect
no cds.. cost cutting :p

go into Device Manager> PCIE Devices> right click on each unknown device, Properties>Details Tab>DropDown Menu, Hardware ID and note down the top most value.

now go here: PCI Vendor and Device Lists and search by hardware ID... you'll know which device is which. then download the drivers for each.

:)

- - - Updated - - -

@dashing.sujoy: dayyyyum!! you posted before me!! :D

OP
ithehappy

ithehappy

Human Spambot
Baap re, too much work. Checking the hardware ID, then finding details......anyway somehow I found 4365 and it says Broadcom WLAN adapter, installed that one, and now WiFi working okay.
However I am not checking other details anymore, isn't there any app which will show all the drivers?

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
Baap re, too much work. Checking the hardware ID, then finding details......anyway somehow I found 4365 and it says Broadcom WLAN adapter, installed that one, and now WiFi working okay.
However I am not checking other details anymore, isn't there any app which will show all the drivers?

I have used DriverEasy, and it works fine but I vaguely remember that it allowed downloading only through itself, and the speeds were painstakingly slow.

anirbandd

Conversation Architect

better than letting another s/w take over the process and downloading crap. ;)

$hadow

Geek in making
Try the driver matrix on the driver page of Lenovo for checking out part info of your laptop.

OP
ithehappy

ithehappy

Human Spambot
Yeah, finally had the time today and installed all the needed drivers, manually by finding their code and all ;)
Now what I am seeing is a shock to me! I purchased this because it had a 7200 RPM hard drive, but mine has a 5400 RPM one. How is that possible under same model no.??? This is really weird and I am sad :(

*i.imgur.com/KaXxvjK.jpg

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Drivers and software - Lenovo B490

*www.partnerinfo.lenovo.com/partner...essential-bseries/B490-B590_WE_DS_29OCT12.pdf

rule of thumb is if a laptop specification states multiple hardware components(like 5400rpm & 7200rpm drives mentioned in above pdf) then best/costlier component is available with other costlier configuration(like core i5 option listed in above pdf).like i said always confirm from official company helpline/customer care instead of believing indian online shopping sites info.

OP
ithehappy

ithehappy

Human Spambot
Well okay. Lenovo should have mentioned the hard drive spec on their website, then one would not have to rely on online shopping sites.
Anyway I'm planning to buy a SSD, probably Evo, I just need to make sure that I can put it on this laptop right, by replacing it with the installed hard drive?

geek_rocker

Broken In
Yeah, finally had the time today and installed all the needed drivers, manually by finding their code and all ;)
Now what I am seeing is a shock to me! I purchased this because it had a 7200 RPM hard drive, but mine has a 5400 RPM one. How is that possible under same model no.??? This is really weird and I am sad :(

That is Flipkart's fault. Flipkart's information is not reliable at all.

Top Bottom