Job that makes decent money that doesn’t suck one that leaves you time to pursue your passion & doesn’t leave you too exhausted at the end of the day

srdigit16

In the zone
What is the scope of a job as a developer like above in Indian IT companies? What efforts should be taken by a company for making a job like above?

Last edited:

bubusam13

Human
1. Get in a service based company, join a project using legacy hardware/software in the networking and security domain.
2. Join a project with physical data centers, but few servers, much better if only bare metal servers are there.
3. Marry your boss's daughter.
4. Build IPs of your own.

I saw mates in the DB domain who have made a kind of dependency in the project enjoys this kind of life.

But to it the other way around. Work Smart. Discard Credit cards. Make investments. And take early retirement.

Last edited:
OP
S

srdigit16

In the zone
Currently I am an Android developer who is having a job somewhat opposite of the title of the post. I don't have any experience in networking job.

Sent from my Redmi Note 9 Pro using Tapatalk

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
I saw mates in the DB domain who have made a kind on dependency in the project enjoys this kind of life.
I kinda have to agree with that. Basically become so invaluable to the project that if you threaten to leave they will kneel and beg you to stay and they will do anything.

But this is also very hard to achieve, you will have to spend many years in the project, learn the project inside-out and work on some really high profile development activity.

It also helps if you have some rare skill whose developers are not very common. These days mobile app developers are a dime a dozen, so are UI and Java developers. But if you know something on the side like machine learning, natural language processing or big data, you can leverage those along with your existing skills to make yourself more valuable.

Since you are a Android dev, I suggest making yourself into a full-stack developer to make yourself more valuable. That is become knowledgeable in all aspects of mobile app development, including application servers, cloud services (AWS, Google cloud, Azure, etc), databases, etc. It's likely that this will put a bit more responsibility on you in the beginning, but later on if you become something like an architect, your work load will reduce.

Remember that later in a career, functional knowledge becomes valuable than technical knowledge.

Edit: Also please fix your title, it's a bit too long IMO.

Tusharma

Broken In
IT sectors in India literally get the best out of people. These IT employees tend to be half of the working community and hardly have any personal life until a certain age.

OP
S

srdigit16

In the zone
I kinda have to agree with that. Basically become so invaluable to the project that if you threaten to leave they will kneel and beg you to stay and they will do anything.

But this is also very hard to achieve, you will have to spend many years in the project, learn the project inside-out and work on some really high profile development activity.

It also helps if you have some rare skill whose developers are not very common. These days mobile app developers are a dime a dozen, so are UI and Java developers. But if you know something on the side like machine learning, natural language processing or big data, you can leverage those along with your existing skills to make yourself more valuable.

Since you are a Android dev, I suggest making yourself into a full-stack developer to make yourself more valuable. That is become knowledgeable in all aspects of mobile app development, including application servers, cloud services (AWS, Google cloud, Azure, etc), databases, etc. It's likely that this will put a bit more responsibility on you in the beginning, but later on if you become something like an architect, your work load will reduce.

Remember that later in a career, functional knowledge becomes valuable than technical knowledge.

Edit: Also please fix your title, it's a bit too long IMO.
if you threaten to leave they will kneel and beg you to stay and they will do anything.

Unless we get some other job how can we threaten? & What is the guarantee that we are joining in a better company?

khalil1210

In the zone
Why do you feel exhuasted by end of day?

Unless we get some other job how can we threaten? & What is the guarantee that we are joining in a better company?
There is no gaurantee that next company will be better.

But in interviews you can ask the interviewees the following questions
Will I be part of your team?
How much is team size
What are the working hours
How often do people strech to complete task
Do you compensate people with overtime
How do you handle a tight delivery
Do have any process for devilvery
How do you handle production issues
What do you do in your free time.?
How often do people work on weekends?
Do you provide compensatory off if we work on weekends

All companies have deadlines, all companies have deliveries but they also have process for same

Search for jobs in product based MNCs.

bubusam13

Human
I would like to add to that. Contrary to the popular believe, not all product based companies are good. There are lot of product based IT companies which sell only one or a few products. If sells are down, you are doomed. Also more than half of the technical staff are involved in bug-fixes and testing and not in the core product development. Aside many small product based companies are too secretive in nature that teams won't even know which product they are developing. Small portions of the work are divided among multiple teams. All these lead to frustration.

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
if you threaten to leave they will kneel and beg you to stay and they will do anything.

You have to become a valuable worker first. Technically you should still prepare in your spare time to enhance your knowledge to be more relevant to what's the trend in the industry. Take up some courses on sites like Udacity, Udemy or Coursera, etc. and attend from time to time. Such knowledge will be useful when attending interviews. You should attend interviews in general just to see what questions are usually asked and prepare accordingly.

Also, try to take up some new development activity if you can by asking your manager. If you design and develop some project from scratch, upper management will usually turn to you for any work related to it since you will be most knowledgeable in the project. The more complex the project the better.

TheSloth

The Slowest One
Why do you feel exhuasted by end of day?

There is no gaurantee that next company will be better.

But in interviews you can ask the interviewees the following questions

All companies have deadlines, all companies have deliveries but they also have process for same

Search for jobs in product based MNCs.
It is good to ask those questions, only after getting the offer letter or at least when one is sure that they have cleared all the rounds now. Asking in 1st/2nd round will create a image of a person who isn't ready for a commitment.

Tusharma

Broken In
I think 90 percent of people in India are in the wrong profession and probably in it because they studied for it. Are they happy? Ask those who do not wish to get up early in the morning for Australian shifts or do not wish to do those night shifts for the US. Pathetic position.

OP
S

srdigit16

In the zone
Welcome to India, where people with music as passion and Jo interest in technology are forced to go for engineering.
*www.quora.com/Is-follow-your-passi...iddesh-Sawant?ch=10&share=e5aeab99&srid=2QsPM
Because most of the passion kind of jobs are not high regular income jobs & the above answer in Quora explains it further why following our passion is not always good. The title of my post is taken from an answer to similar questions which says what is actually better than following your passion.

Last edited:

RumbaMon19

Feel Pain.
*www.quora.com/Is-follow-your-passi...iddesh-Sawant?ch=10&share=e5aeab99&srid=2QsPM
Because most of the passion kind of jobs are not high regular income jobs & the above answer in Quora explains it further why following our passion is not always. The title of my post is taken from an answer to similar questions which says what is actually better than following your passion.

They are low paying because people don't consider those jobs good at all. Due to which they pay low and no good talent goes. Basically it is like a loop.

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Well, thing about following passion is that you will lose your passion with time and then it will be just another job.

OP
S

srdigit16

In the zone
Well, thing about following passion is that you will lose your passion with time and then it will be just another job.
Maybe. It varies from person to person. The purpose of my title is to keep passion as hobby or part time job so that our primary income not dependent on it. But for this the primary job must be of like what is mentioned in the title.
If we get exhausted we can't enjoy the time we do our hobby.

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
Due to the long title I assumed it a spam post first, but saw it alive even today and read it carefully.

So you are looking for a job that,

1> makes decent money
2> doesn’t suck
3> leaves you time to pursue your passion
4> doesn’t leave you too exhausted at the end of the day

Decent money --> What is decent amount to you per month? What are your dreams/goals now. How much money per month would you need to achieve that.
Doesn't suck--> Would totally depend on you. What are your interest areas, what makes you happy?
Leaves you time to pursue your passion --> I think you need to merge 2 and 3 i.e. look for a job that IS your passion.
Doesn’t leave you too exhausted at the end of the day --> If you could achieve above, this should not be a problem.

Saying so, seems you are not inclined to involve much in the 'JOB' you plan to do. Whatever you do to earn money would ask your effort. And, if a job is not demanding, its not challenging and eventually would SUCK!

Whatever job you end up doing, try to love it, enjoy doing it. If you don't love what you are doing, you'll lose interest and it would suck, and the career in the job go downhill.

Here comes the phrase work-life-balance. Learn to say no diplomatically, whatever you enjoy doing make sure you sit with it everyday even for 5 minutes. This would refresh you.
May be try this exercise,
List down all activities you do and enjoy doing.
Then set them a number on a scale of 1 - 10. 10 being max and 1 being low. This mark is how much you love doing it. Assume JOB is something out of this list as you HAVE to do it anyway.
Once that list is done, involve in top 3 items and leave rest. Just stop doing them.

Hope this helps. Best of luck.

OP
S

srdigit16

In the zone
It is good to ask those questions, only after getting the offer letter or at least when one is sure that they have cleared all the rounds now. Asking in 1st/2nd round will create a image of a person who isn't ready for a commitment.
we need to find a neutral person in the company (someone not a workaholic or too attached to company authorities but is honest) who says true answers for those questions

Last edited:
Top Bottom