Jio Phone - Talk

nac

Aspiring Novelist
Whenever I face internet outage, I feel that I should buy a smartphone so that I can use internet uninterrupted.

Few years back I bought this Airtel 3G dongle. Since I couldn't keep recharging/using the number, Airtel sim deactivated after few months and I needed to buy another sim. Maintaining two numbers isn't possible for me. So when internet is down, I recharge my BSNL number for 3G data. Remove the sim from my mobile and put it in 3G dongle and use it (yeah, I am still using a decade old feature phone). It's not a smooth experience. May be it's because I am using BSNL sim in Airtel dongle or something? I don't know (yeah it's unlocked). For months, I have been thinking about buying Jio phone and use it's internet in my PC.

Yesterday, there was internet outage and soon after my landline too gone. Now I needed something, I recharged BSNL number for 3G data. And it didn't work either. Urgently, I needed internet. I don't want to delay it anymore. Went to the nearby shop and bought the Jio phone. After the purchase, I learned that I can't connect Jio phone to my PC to use it's internet. MY BAD.

Now I can't sell/transfer it to anyone else, I guess. At least that's what terms and condition says.
I can't give back the phone to Jio and take refund.
Since I can't use it's internet in my PC, there is no use for me. So most likely I won't be using this number and I can't use any other sim in this phone.

I guess this 1653/- (including recharge) gone total waste unless there is something I can do. If you guys know any way, let me know.

quicky008

Technomancer
does it have a wifi hotspot feature?if yes,then you can set it up as a hotspot and connect to it from your pc using a wifi adapter to use its internet connectivity.

Reactions: nac
OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
does it have a wifi hotspot feature?if yes,then you can set it up as a hotspot and connect to it from your pc using a wifi adapter to use its internet connectivity.
No, it doesn't have. I can use other's internet using wifi, but I can't share mine neither via wifi nor via cable.
Whats stopping you from selling the phone ?
It's non transferable. Since it's not an outright purchase, I can't sell it to anyone. If someone I know wants it, I can give them and take it back after 3 yrs.
Here is what terms and condition says
The Recipient has no right to sell, lease, assign, and transfer or otherwise dispose-of the JioPhone in any manner whatsoever.

Minion

Conversation Architect
Whenever I face internet outage, I feel that I should buy a smartphone so that I can use internet uninterrupted.

Few years back I bought this Airtel 3G dongle. Since I couldn't keep recharging/using the number, Airtel sim deactivated after few months and I needed to buy another sim. Maintaining two numbers isn't possible for me. So when internet is down, I recharge my BSNL number for 3G data. Remove the sim from my mobile and put it in 3G dongle and use it (yeah, I am still using a decade old feature phone). It's not a smooth experience. May be it's because I am using BSNL sim in Airtel dongle or something? I don't know (yeah it's unlocked). For months, I have been thinking about buying Jio phone and use it's internet in my PC.

Yesterday, there was internet outage and soon after my landline too gone. Now I needed something, I recharged BSNL number for 3G data. And it didn't work either. Urgently, I needed internet. I don't want to delay it anymore. Went to the nearby shop and bought the Jio phone. After the purchase, I learned that I can't connect Jio phone to my PC to use it's internet. MY BAD.

Now I can't sell/transfer it to anyone else, I guess. At least that's what terms and condition says.
I can't give back the phone to Jio and take refund.
Since I can't use it's internet in my PC, there is no use for me. So most likely I won't be using this number and I can't use any other sim in this phone.

I guess this 1653/- (including recharge) gone total waste unless there is something I can do. If you guys know any way, let me know.

Use that phone for now else let your mom or someone in your family use it for calls or you can use that phone as landline too.

Nerevarine

Incarnate
I remember the jio phone was a heater even if you were not using internet. It used to get so hot, your ears will hurt while talking. Absolutely terrible build

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
So the phone doesn't come with a SIM card? That you can pop out and use it in another phone/dongle instead?

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
Use that phone for now else let your mom or someone in your family use it for calls or you can use that phone as landline too.
Every one in my family already have got a mobile phone.
Not a lot I can do right now. Yeah, that's all I can do now, just use it. At the end of the year, I think Jio will take back the phone as I wouldn't have spent 1500/- for recharging by then. :(
I remember the jio phone was a heater even if you were not using internet. It used to get so hot, your ears will hurt while talking. Absolutely terrible build
I am not a heavy user, and I am yet to face that issue.
So the phone doesn't come with a SIM card? That you can pop out and use it in another phone/dongle instead?
Yeah, it does comes with a sim card. I can pop out and use it in another phone/dongle, just that I don't have 4G compatible phone. If I already had one, I would have just gone for SIM only option, not this one.

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Yeah, it does comes with a sim card. I can pop out and use it in another phone/dongle, just that I don't have 4G compatible phone. If I already had one, I would have just gone for SIM only option, not this one.
Well, I was planning to get a Jio SIM to use as a dual SIM in my LG G6 for Internet usage. I am not satisfied with Airtel's 4G, but my friend's Jio SIM's internet works flawlessly.

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Well, I was planning to get a Jio SIM to use as a dual SIM in my LG G6 for Internet usage. I am not satisfied with Airtel's 4G, but my friend's Jio SIM's internet works flawlessly.

Minion

Conversation Architect
Jio is much better than other operators service and network coverage are very good here.

Randy_Marsh

Youngling
Why didn't you buy JioFi router?

"The Recipient has no right to sell, lease, assign, and transfer or otherwise dispose-of the JioPhone in any manner whatsoever."

I have no idea how can they impose this. If another jio sim can be used with the phone, what's the problem in selling it to somebody else?

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
After one month use.

Typing is not easy. Even dictionary option is not good. My Nokia feature phone is lot better. (1110i)
It's heavier and lot slower than my Nokia.
Battery life is not as good as I expected. It lasts for about 3 days if I use only for calling. Nokia will last for about 5 days despite having smaller capacity battery.
Battery won't last more than 1.5 days, if used for watching video content.
With 700mah charger, it takes more than 2.5hrs from ~20% to fully charge the battery.
When using Jio TV/Jio Cinema sometimes phone hangs. I have to remove the battery and put it back to make the phone work again.
Can't share files via message and Jio chat is almost useless for sharing files.
Sharing things like a link from browser/map is not possible via message. Only share option I can see is bluetooth.
There is no one click exit from any app. Have to click back button several times.
Seems like there is only two sound profile. One is silent and another is sound. :-x
Jio is spamming our inbox with messages and calls to recharge when due date is nearing.
Using Jioswitch is not smooth. May be it's because I am not used with sharing files via wifi. I don't know.
I recharged 153/- plan when I bought thinking that I can use it's internet on PC. In one month total data I used on this phone is just 1.5GB. I think if/when I recharge, I should stick with just 49/- plan.

I don't think Jio will bring wifi hotspot (the reason I bought this phone) to Jiophone or it's 2nd iteration Jiophone2. Bringing youtube, whatsapp, google map is not good enough for me. If they bring hotspot feature to jiophone, it will be nice. :pray:

vidhubhushan

Alakh Niranjan
Why didn't you buy JioFi router?

"The Recipient has no right to sell, lease, assign, and transfer or otherwise dispose-of the JioPhone in any manner whatsoever."

I have no idea how can they impose this. If another jio sim can be used with the phone, what's the problem in selling it to somebody else?

as per their terms & conditions, this Jio Phone is THEIR PROPERTY which is only LEASED / Given on RENT to the user. The amount taken (1500) is just Security Deposit which is Refundable after 3 years when the user returns the phone to the company.

Since the user is not buying the phone and it remains someone else's property, the user has no right to sell it to some other person.

billubakra

Conversation Architect
as per their terms & conditions, this Jio Phone is THEIR PROPERTY which is only LEASED / Given on RENT to the user. The amount taken (1500) is just Security Deposit which is Refundable after 3 years when the user returns the phone to the company.

Since the user is not buying the phone and it remains someone else's property, the user has no right to sell it to some other person.
And they can reject the security if there is any wear and tear. So, use a protector lol
OP
You should exchange it with Jiofone 2, only if it serves your purpose.

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
Nokia 3310 4G is a feature phone runs YunOS, support wifi hotspot
Nokia 8810 4G is a feature phone runs the same KaiOS as Jiophone but supports wifi hotspot
Micromax Bharat 1 - V409 is a feature phone runs android, supports wifi hotspot.

Knowing that these can support wifi hotspot while mine doesn't is irritating. Jio deliberately disabled that feature. :-x

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
I thought the new 501 exchange offer is an outright purchase of Jio phone. But it's again the same leasing thing with the same terms and conditions to get the refund. I guess only the 501/- will be refunded not the phone we gave them during exchange. At the end of three years, we will have no phone but just the sim card. I don't find this offer any attractive at all.

billubakra

Conversation Architect
I thought the new 501 exchange offer is an outright purchase of Jio phone. But it's again the same leasing thing with the same terms and conditions to get the refund. I guess only the 501/- will be refunded not the phone we gave them during exchange. At the end of three years, we will have no phone but just the sim card. I don't find this offer any attractive at all.
One more "hidden" term and condition with this is that you will have to recharge in advance for 6 months for around 599 so the final price is 1100/-

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
One more "hidden" term and condition with this is that you will have to recharge in advance for 6 months for around 599 so the final price is 1100/-
In fact, it's not a big deal. Any how if one wants to return the phone and get back the deposit, he has to recharge for 1500/- per annum. This 594/- can be deducted from that 1500/- recharge.
The only difference I see is, last year they paid 1500/- as deposit.
In this offer they are giving their old phone and paying 501/- as deposit.
More fine prints.
In their site, they say Nokia 1110 is eligible for exchange. But in third party site, it's mentioned that the phones bought on or after 1st Jan 2015 are eligible. It's obvious one couldn't have bought Nokia 1110 in 2015. It's kinda grey area, will see...

I don't understand why they have these 49/- and 99/- plan in the first place. Even if one recharges 49 or 99 for the next one year, it wouldn't add up 1500/- at the end of the year. Jio will simply take the phone and pay us no money :-x

Top Bottom