Issue in formatting Micro SD Card.

srdigit16

In the zone
Few files have become 0 bytes in my micro SD Card. Unable to delete, move, copy etc. As I already have backup of the files, I tried to format the card. When formatting on my Redmi Note 9 Pro, the device keeps rebooting till I removed the card. tapping storage in settings also once crashed the setting app. On my old Lenovo K5 Note formatting got stuck at 20%. When I went back & go to storage again, the card was not shown. After sometime I got notification New SD Card Detected & seems the card is ready for use. Is it safe to continue using this card? Will copying the backup files back to card again cause issue? Is it possible to check if the backed up files are corrupted or not?

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
Download some files from the web onto the SD card and try to copy them to your PC/laptop. It they work fine, SD card should be fine to use.

Sent from my vivo 1807 using Tapatalk

OP
S

srdigit16

In the zone
Download some files from the web onto the SD card and try to copy them to your PC/laptop. It they work fine, SD card should be fine to use.

This seems working. But when I copy particular video files to the card from computer, windows file explorer gets stuck till I disconnect the phone. When I copy these files to Internal Storage, it shows as 0 bytes files. Even after rebooting or clear media storage, the 0 byte files still exist in internal srorage. But these files play fine on computer. Another problem is when I copy large number of file the process gets stuck but when I copy few files it's working.

Sent from my Redmi Note 9 Pro using Tapatalk

Last edited:

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
Might be some bad sectors. Format it once with this tool : SD Memory Card Formatter 5.0 for SD/SDHC/SDXC

Even then if files are not working you might need to get one.

OP
S

srdigit16

In the zone
Might be some bad sectors. Format it once with this tool : SD Memory Card Formatter 5.0 for SD/SDHC/SDXC

Even then if files are not working you might need to get one.

Ok but why even copying into the phone's internal storage resulted in 0 byte files which which I can't do anything?

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
Ok but why even copying into the phone's internal storage resulted in 0 byte files which which I can't do anything?

Wait copying from your PC/laptop is 0 byte? Could you play it from your phone that file?

Might be a different issue with your OS or something.

OP
S

srdigit16

In the zone
Wait copying from your PC/laptop is 0 byte? Could you play it from your phone that file?

The file plays in PC without issues. When copying the file to SD card make windows file explorer stuck while copying to internal storage made 0 byte file which cannot be deleted or moved

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
Got it now. Install and use Tera Copy to copy your files onto the phone. Should fix the issue.

Link: Download TeraCopy 3.5

OP
S

srdigit16

In the zone

I think the issue was that file name having some emojis. I renamed it (removed emojis) & was able to copy

Top Bottom