ISRO's new policy to help satellites map Delhi in 3D!

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
ISRO's new policy to help satellites map Delhi

New Delhi: India's Remote Sensing Data Policy Year 2011 gives access to high resolution satellite photos, to all public and private agencies who will use them for social development. Commercial use is also permitted, provided companies are cleared by a high powered committee.

The Delhi State Spatial Data Infrastructure project has used them to create a three dimensional virtual map of the entire city.
Savitur Prasad, Secretary, Department of Information Technology, Delhi Secretariat said, "Details of all residents, houses, localities. Entire details above ground in 1500 square kilometers of Delhi will be available. All the houses, names of individuals. And below the ground upto a depth of 12 feet. Water pipes, electricity cables etc."

Satellite data can also be used to help you pay your property taxes online, to monitor real time power and water demand in various localities, in land acquisitions, road transport and city planning. ESRI and NIIT GIS, private firms that deliver such solutions in various states welcome the new government policy.

Rajesh C Mathur, Vice Chairman, NIIT GIS Limited said, "There are delays because we have to follow a certain procedure for approval, for access to satellite data. The change in policy will make a huge difference and make the process simpler, less time consuming."

Interestingly, the new policy also seems to indicate that agencies other than ISRO could be allowed to operate remote sensing satellites. Whether that means the Indian military or private companies, remains to be seen.

Wow, although I think, the 3D model of the city won't be made public for obvious reasons, I am excited from the very thought of the possibility, that it might bring to develop the city!

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
Too bad the other cities wont receive this. North East cities miss way toooo many good things happening to the country.

Tech&ME

Banned
Yes!

An indigenously developed satellite was recently launched by ISRO from Kourou French Guiana, I saw the LIVE telecast of it in DD National channel.

This was to help and improve GPS navigation in INDIA. The base station is in BANGALORE. which has started working.

I think they will map BANGALORE first and then the Country Capital - Delhi.

This is a very BIG step in the future for our country and the new rule further takes us in future. (Arunachal Pradesh Chief Minister's Helicopter could not be traced due to the limitation, hence the NEW rule is in place.)

OP
Vyom

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
This is a very BIG step in the future for our country and the new rule further takes us in future. (Arunachal Pradesh Chief Minister's Helicopter could not be traced due to the limitation, hence the NEW rule is in place.)

Which "NEW" rule are you talking about?

Tech&ME

Banned
@Vineet369

Ahh! this :

Easing restrictions on the use and circulation of high-resolution satellite imagery, the government has decided to make remote sensing data and images up to one metre resolution freely available to anyone on demand. Previously, only images up to 5.8 metre resolution were available freely.

Link

OP
Vyom

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
@Tech&ME: Hmm, I think CM Heli incident really opened the eyes of authorities. Good rule IMO.

@Scientia Wiz: I don't think this is an "Opportunity". I think, this is just the start of an effort in right direction, and Delhi being the National Capital is being served first. So, it would (and should) be done with every city.

OP
Vyom

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
^^ Where? AFAIK, Google maps/earth shows Delhi in just 2D.
Also, you can't see model of "below the ground upto a depth of 12 feet." Can you? :?

Top Bottom