Is Your GMAIL Compromised ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

root.king

geek in action
A list of 5 million Gmail addresses and passwords appeared on a Russian Bitcoin forum Wednesday.

It is still unclear how anyone obtained the vast collection of usernames and passwords.Google says its servers were not breached.The list appears to be a collection of passwords exposed in previous hacks, likely on users’ own computers, not Google’s systems.

“We have no evidence that our systems have been compromised,” Google spokeswoman Caroline Matthews said.

In fact, there’s no telling yet whether the list is even authentic, the company said.However, Google is warning affected users to take steps to further protect their Gmail accounts, such as creating a stronger password and using an extra security feature called two-step authentication.

In the meantime, there is a tool that allows you to easily check if your account has been compromised.Simply type your email address into the IsLeaked tool to see if your account has been exposed.Due to the high volume of people trying to check their accounts, the site has been experiencing a gateway error.If you get an error message, reload the page or check back a little later, Life Hacker suggests.

However, the tool is not without controversy.

Life Hacker actually isn’t promoting it anymore after it said it discovered the “tool” was made public just two days before the Gmail leak was reported.

Check here if your Gmail account was among 5 million possibly hacked | fox13now.com

click here to check : *isleaked.com/en

arijitsinha

﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿ O'RLY?
My email is on the list, but the password there is not my current password. I have changed it long back. though I am skeptical if I have ever used that password for gmail. I use this password for all the spam registrations.

I guess they hacked other websites which requires email id as login, and aggregated the email id and password combination.

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
lol, my id is on the list
but the password is wrong, was never my password. what gives?

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
though I am skeptical if I have ever used that password for gmail. I use this password for all the spam registrations.

same here, only Im sure I have never used it for my email

- - - Updated - - -

Here is a private checker, that downloads a version of the database to your browser and checks it offline
gmail leak bloom filter password checker

Gmail has locked out compromised accounts
soo... did they cross check the passwords, somehow that is almost as creepy

amjath

Human Spambot
mine not there :bananana:

- - - Updated - - -

isleaked showing both are safe, [MENTION=56202]Anorion[/MENTION] link says one is hacked :(

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
Don't Panic

Google's Security blog on the issue
We found that less than 2% of the username and password combinations might have worked, and our automated anti-hijacking systems would have blocked many of those login attempts. We’ve protected the affected accounts and have required those users to reset their passwords.

whole post here : Google Online Security Blog: Cleaning up after password dumps

amjath

Human Spambot
Don't Panic

Google's Security blog on the issue

whole post here : Google Online Security Blog: Cleaning up after password dumps

2 days before i tried logging in my yahoo id from my office kiosk PC, it started asking security questions. When I logged in successfully I recieved a mail that someone is trying to login from USA and if it is not me then change the password the mail said.
So this type of ip tracing anti hijacking system is what google is speaking i guess

kg11sgbg

Indian Railways - The Vibrant and Moving INDIA
Me and my spouse both SAFE till now.Our Google a/c's not in the list.:-D

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
^here, it is offline and private
it can give false positives (4% chance), but not false negatives

Private Gmail Leak Tester

a_medico

Chillum Baba
I didnt bother to check my id. Could the tool itself be a data collector leading to spam in the future?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom