Is this laptop system worth buying ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gopz

In the zone
How much is the final price they have quoted? You can always bargain with them and get goodies or discounts.

Try to negotiate with the rep and buy the 320GB drive for a discounted price. Otherwise the config looks fine to me.

OP
T

tusharlad

Down to Earth
How much is the final price they have quoted? You can always bargain with them and get goodies or discounts.

Try to negotiate with the rep and buy the 320GB drive for a discounted price. Otherwise the config looks fine to me.

this config. while doing on their site indicate Rs. 66636. But when they send quotation they offer some 2500 rs. discount.

CAN DELL PEOPLE BARGAIN ? ITRIED FOR CARIING BAG BUT THEY SAID THEY ARE HELPLESS i TALKED WITH ARVIND S. Inside Sales Account Manager.

wHAT DO YOU THINK ABOUT Dell Bluetooth Headset. should I buy at 2750 Rs.
I have a decent Philips Headset but it is wired and without controls.

Please reply soon if you can as I will be forwarding my order in next hour.

gopz

In the zone
Dell bluetooth headset is really nice. Go for it or rather bargain with the sales rep and ask him to bundle it for free.

OP
T

tusharlad

Down to Earth
At last I placed order for XPS 1530 today with
Cpu :T 8100
Display :1440x900
Ram : 3 Gb dual channel
HDD : 250 GB
GPU : Nvidia 256 MB etc. other config same as earlier posted

I Have to purchase bluetooth headset and not getting free is it worth buying in 2400 bucks
Arvind please reply

Request other members too to give reply and give suggestion on my config.

dOm1naTOr

Wise Old Owl
why wont u get it as free? It is included ihn the package for xps m1530..
BTW 3GB they are givin is not dual channel. Its 2*1GB and 1*1GB modules...
I asked dem many times if they cud put 2*1GB in dual channel instead of such stupid combo. They said now XPS comes with minimum of this 3GB(non dual ch)... SO i opted for 4G just to have dual channel. Meybe this their new marketing technique so that everybody will ve to opt 4G.

And bout the headset,its not worth 2400 bucks is u intend on listening music on it. Its ok for voip apps. The controls buttons works only for WMP. Its very comfortable but the sound is much weak and the EP-630 bundled is 4x times better.
Get some overhead type wireless headphones within 3k from local store which wud be much better than this. The only advantage i see for this is, we can pair it with any A2DP phone(worx gr8 with my China Phone).

Pathik

Google Bot
Did you try to bargain a bit? Tell them that your friend got a better bargain.

OP
T

tusharlad

Down to Earth
ARVIND :

Why Dell website's configuration page mention 3GB Ram as dual Channel though it is not according to you ? How can one certainly say that the ram is dual channel or not.

also the memory od GPU Dell people say is DDR II and not DDR III

Dell has change the config from 2nd May and not giving headset bundled free.

What should I do , Upgrade to 4GB ram instead of purchasing headset ?
Is it possible to change the config. after sending Money ?

PATHIK :

I have tryed my level best for three days. I was negotiating with Mr. Arvind S. - inside account manager. But didn't worked.

dOm1naTOr

Wise Old Owl
The dual channel issue is ..maybe some mistake while editing the page. While i was talking to the salesperson, he clearly said 1*2GB and 1*1GB this this cud never run in dual channel unless it has a 975XPB mobo which it certainly not.:D[it cud run un identical modules in dual channel].

And Dell used to give GDDR2 wala 8600GT and they recently shifted to GDDR3 8600GT.
Im damn sure the one i got GDDR3 as many apps like GPUZ is showing like dat.:)

I dun think u can change config after sending money, but surelly can even just before transfering the amount. Coz they ll start the shipment as soon as they get da cash.

memory upgrade seems better than headset, as even a 300 bucks wired headsets sounds much better than that. Also choosing wireless N card is more future proof. U can connect to N network working at 5Ghz nd u ll get speeds comparable to cable network, though ull need a wireless N router which is becoming cheap day by day.

hellgate

At Hell's Disq
i wud like to say that 1*2GB + 1*1GB will run smoothly in dual channel mode.the G/P965 chipset does support this asymmetric dual channel mode.i've tried with 1*512MB 1*1Gb in dual channel mode and they ran flawlessly.

same is the case with HP DV6767TX.it also has 3GB of ram and it does run in dual channel.

Last edited:
OP
T

tusharlad

Down to Earth
The dual channel issue is ..maybe some mistake while editing the page. While i was talking to the salesperson, he clearly said 1*2GB and 1*1GB this this cud never run in dual channel unless it has a 975XPB mobo which it certainly not.:D[it cud run un identical modules in dual channel].

And Dell used to give GDDR2 wala 8600GT and they recently shifted to GDDR3 8600GT.
Im damn sure the one i got GDDR3 as many apps like GPUZ is showing like dat.:)

I dun think u can change config after sending money, but surelly can even just before transfering the amount. Coz they ll start the shipment as soon as they get da cash.

memory upgrade seems better than headset, as even a 300 bucks wired headsets sounds much better than that. Also choosing wireless N card is more future proof. U can connect to N network working at 5Ghz nd u ll get speeds comparable to cable network, though ull need a wireless N router which is becoming cheap day by day.

Thanks Arvind

You r right , Dell's website config. page - learn more section itself says the fact about dual channel memory. 3GB is surely not going to give dual channel performance.

I will surely go for 4 GB

Also I agree with N card it is better upgradation. Can you estimate how much is the cost of N router.

Dell is charging Rs. 2754 for wireless headset. to adjust this amount I was thinking to choose 200 GB 7200 RPM HDD, what do you suggest ?

I have following two possible upgradation instead of headset's amount Rs. 2754

200 GB 7200 RPM HDD Rs 2108 + something else = Rs 2750 OR

4 GB dual channel Rs 1620 + N mini card 1279 = Rs. 2899

Thanks Arvind

You r right , Dell's website config. page - learn more section itself says the fact about dual channel memory. 3GB is surely not going to give dual channel performance.

I will surely go for 4 GB

Also I agree with N card it is better upgradation. Can you estimate how much is the cost of N router.

Dell is charging Rs. 2754 for wireless headset. to adjust this amount I was thinking to choose 200 GB 7200 RPM HDD, what do you suggest ?

I have following two possible upgradation instead of headset's amount Rs. 2754

200 GB 7200 RPM HDD Rs 2108 + something else = Rs 2750 OR

4 GB dual channel Rs 1620 + N mini card 1279 = Rs. 2899

I have upgraded to 4 GB dual channel Rs 1620 + N mini card 1279 = Rs. 2899
instead of wireless headset Rs. 2754.

My order has been finalised and forwarded to assimbling dept today. I have sent money through DD which reached there today afternoon. I change my config. last minute. I was informed that it would take about ten days and I expect it to be delivered around 22-23 of this month.
Waiting curiously.. !

It cost me 64K. Howz that ??? very costly ??

Give your openion

Last edited:
OP
T

tusharlad

Down to Earth
Hi ! Friends

I am waiting for my lappy to arrive which is estimated on 19th but they informed that it may be delayed by couple of days due to shortage of parts supply.

Mean while i m searching for wireless router.

Can any one give suggestion about that. I have completely having no idea about that.
I have selected wireless N mini card with higher capabilities.

Can wired desktop internate is usable while one is using wireless lappy. Both together ?

OP
T

tusharlad

Down to Earth
Hi ! All,

I was informed on 20th from dell that the delivery of machine will delay by few days as they are experiencing shortage of graphic card supply. It is expected around 24th May.
Waiting eagerly for my machine to arrive.

What about my last upgrades, Please give your openion. : I have choosen wireless N card. Can any one gide me about router. please help me about my queries.

OP
T

tusharlad

Down to Earth
yes I have got my system yesterday 24th May.

we are expecting a gud feedback:)

About what Arvind ? About Router?

By the way how is your system working ? How were ur exams ? or still going...?

Last edited:

alexialexander

Right off the assembly line
Hola guys ! i am going to US on 28thMay and i will be staying there or 2 months . I am planning to buy a laptop there which is good for gaming and other puposes can you please suggest a good laptop to buy unde budget of Rs70000.Thanks!

dOm1naTOr

Wise Old Owl
If u are buying from Us, u shud consider Dell XPS M1730. No other brands available in India cud match it except Alienware which too is a Dell product.

@tusharlad
BTW my university xams are goin on. But still i found some time nd finished Gears of War on it. Everythin med~high @ 1440*900 w/o AA.
Will test Crysis soon, but Crysis ll be too boring as ive already finished it 5 times in my desktop, even twice in Delta mode.

Wireless N router working at 5Ghz[802.11n] backward compatible with current 802.11 a,b,and g network are available from Linksys nd Netgear, but almost 7~8k. Wait till prices drop.
wifi n is almost as fast as a gigabit lan. But its not a gud idea to spend 8k for a N router as u can do a gigabit lan for almost free if u have a straight lan cable. Gigabit cable lan wud be more faster nd wont eatup battery too I fint the wifi useful only at my college.

I currently have 3 systems at home nd is planning for another one too. By then ill have to setup a wifi coz all those cables are really annoying. Will go for a N network if prices comes down.

Last edited:

acewin

Point Blanc
decent price, but the exact config in the final order you placed.
You have tried to get things good, congratZ on that.
we see more off it by you when you get it delivered.

dOm1naTOr

Wise Old Owl
@tusharlad
can u give 3D Mark 06 scores with ur new lappy? and ny other benchs too ll be welcome.

Status
Not open for further replies.