Is this India's answer to Tesla?

A seven lac car has 28% gst included. The price of the same is 5.46L. If gst on spares is also decreased then price will be decreased more. For cars above 15L(ex-showroom price) the price includes 28% gst+20% gst compensation cess. Only few businesses can claim gst and gst compensation cess. Few days back a chairman(basically owner) of a gramin bank with branch in few cities in my state bought a 40l car in the name of bank. But he was allowed to claim gst as his reason was that the car will be used to give service to customers i.e. for opening of accounts etc etc lol

The trend is changing dear, middle class families are opting for the higher end models of verna, creta etc. which are around 15 l on road price.

Only India can give the much needed cash to Tesla right now.

About the last line, it is something related to tax benefits. In a simple language, say you earn a tax benefit of $200 every year for say around 5 years under depreciation rules. As per new irs rules, one can claim full $1000 benefit in a single year only. We need rules like that here in India.
Nope, it's China & EU, outside the US for Tesla. India is far behind in terms of average income (in $). So not many can afford even Model 3. If you see the earlier lists, the no.1 selling car in India sold lower units than no. 10 car in the US. China is currently the largest automobile market & its average income is almost double that of India. Even if Model 3 is launched at 25 lakhs ex-showroom, it's still too expensive. Audi, BMW barely sells 10k vehicles per year.

Largest automobile markets worldwide - new car registrations 2018 | Statistic

The purchasing power of the middle class is definitely increasing considering 5 lakh+ cars are pretty common in top 10 list & in road now, but it will take years for cars like Civic, Verna, etc being a common choice like what Swift & i10 are right now.

My parents earn pretty well for Indian standards, but I don't see them spending 10 lakhs on a car mainly because of saving nature of Indians. I have seen how much Americans spend on stuff, Indians save more in comparison even if both earn the same money.

OP
B

billubakra

Conversation Architect
Nope, it's China & EU, outside the US for Tesla. India is far behind in terms of average income (in $). So not many can afford even Model 3. If you see the earlier lists, the no.1 selling car in India sold lower units than no. 10 car in the US. China is currently the largest automobile market & its average income is almost double that of India. Even if Model 3 is launched at 25 lakhs ex-showroom, it's still too expensive. Audi, BMW barely sells 10k vehicles per year.

Largest automobile markets worldwide - new car registrations 2018 | Statistic

The purchasing power of the middle class is definitely increasing considering 5 lakh+ cars are pretty common in top 10 list & in road now, but it will take years for cars like Civic, Verna, etc being a common choice like what Swift & i10 are right now.

My parents earn pretty well for Indian standards, but I don't see them spending 10 lakhs on a car mainly because of saving nature of Indians. I have seen how much Americans spend on stuff, Indians save more in comparison even if both earn the same money.

Brother Tesla is already in US, EU and China but look at its condition. Take Musk out and it will crumble down within a week. The sweet spot for Tesla is 15-20 lacs and it is achievable by taking out radars+some incentives from the government are also required.
That list requires premium membership to be viewable. I get your point, but look at the sales of Jeep, Creta the 10-20 lakh cars. These SUV's and Sedans are giving tough competition to the tin ka dibba dzire and baleno, which are just sold due to bhedchaal.
Aunty, Uncle car nahi kharid rahe kyunki unka beta US mein hai ;) Agree on the saving part but the next gen's mentality has totally changed.
Tesla will be in India maximum by next year.

OP
B

billubakra

Conversation Architect
1 more startup, a giant in the future actually, headed by Rahul Sharma

Revolt RV 400 electric bike - here's everything we know

Top Bottom