Is this combination worth overclocking

Status
Not open for further replies.

cynosure

UbuntuUser
To all the guys who have OCd their PCs:
Maybe next month I will be buying a new PC (If i get into a nice clg with CS stream) and will overclock it, is this combination worth overclocking????

E6300 (2MB L2 cache 1.86Ghz 1066MHz FSB) Rs.8900
Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 Rs.9000 (Tom's Hardware wale used this)
250 GB SATAII Rs.3400
Kingston 667Mhz 2x1 GB Rs.8000
Zebronics 8800GTS 320MB Rs.19500 (Can I overclock this???)
L.G. 15" CRT 500G Rs.3700 (Saving money here :grin:)
16 X L.G. Rs.1600
Creative Inspire 2.1 Rs.1800 (Saving money here too)
Cooler Master 500W SMPS Rs.3200
Zebronics Elegance Cabinet Rs.1550
Microtech 600VA Rs.1800 (Here too :grin:)

This adds upto 62450

You guys are a big fan of 8800GTS etc, so which is better: A Zebronics 8800 GTS 320MB or XFX 7900GT 256MB????

Also can I use Kingston 667Mhz RAM(overclocked of course) if I OC my processor to maybe 2.8 or 3.0 GHz???

Next, Will OC the Gigabyte MB give the same performance as the ASUS P5B-Dlx????

Edburg

In the zone
I am sorry to sya but why the hell would u buy such an awesome graphic card and others but never see them in its full glory by purchasing a lousy monitor ???:confused:

My experience is that its better to have good display than good computer

And yes DS3 and P5B Dlx are simialr in overclocking levels but Asus one has inbuilt wifi and firewire ports and i think Raid too over the Ds3 and costs about 2-3k more.

ranjan2001

Cyborg Agent
The Gigabyte DS3 doesn't have firewire and it has issues with Micron D9 memory that can't be fixed, the DS3 presently has a bug with D9s, which prevents it from getting any further than the 450.

Asus has been tried here within members group & works like a charm. I am runnng it at 472 stable.

U surely need a separate heatsink aircooler or water cooler else u wont be able to run Oced since temp go too high.

You guys are a big fan of 8800GTS etc, so which is better: A Zebronics 8800 GTS 320MB or XFX 7900GT 256MB????
This sounds stupid to me that for a 15inch CRT u are going for such a high end graphic card.

OP
cynosure

cynosure

UbuntuUser
Hey guys
And i thought that monitor doesnt matter at all!!!!

So is there any other way by which I can cut my price by about 2K, Coz I think I will have to decrease my RAM to 1.5GB coz I wanna buy that 800MHz RAM for better OC. Is there any other possible solution to keep my budget within 62~63K and get a LCD, and all other hardware written up there (RAM=1.5GB)???

Thank God I have a student version of Windows XP or else I wud have to shell out 6000 more bucks!!!

And yes, In that GFX card query, I asked if the Zebronics card will give me better performance than the XFX card coz I dont want to shell out more money for about 2 years.
And does anybody here has an idea what will be the possible price of the E6300 after intel slash the prices on april 19th?

Last edited:

Ch@0s

In the zone
The 455FSB bug no longer exists on DS3. To do justice to a 8800GTS, get atleast a 19" widescreen.

ranjan2001

Cyborg Agent
Why do u need such high end card,
do u game?, if not spare urself & get 19inch widescreen & xfx 7600GS card or even lower model for 5000/-

Price slash will be aroud 25-30% I guess but it will take another 2 months before it becomes applicable here in India.

Either get 1gb ram to run in single channel mode or get 2x512mb ram in dual channel mode (faster) or buy 2gb of ram.
1.5 wont do justice.

OP
cynosure

cynosure

UbuntuUser
Yes I used to game, till 2 years back. I am gonna start afresh :D. So I think I will get 1 GB ram(I really just dont like this figure '1').

Will the lastest and the upcoming games run with 1 GB ram (with 8800 ofcourse) or if I try installing Vista on 1 GB(this is just a fantasy, most probably i will use XPSP2), will the hardware be able to control the game as well as the OS(they say 2GB for better performance)???

assasin

Banned
^^^ dood i'm running Vista in my config (see signature) and i'm running the latest games (Infernal,S.T.A.L.K.E.R etc) @ 1280x1024 resolution with good frame rates under Vista.
ur rig will just rip thru the games in watever OS u install.

assasin

Banned
when CRYSIS comes i'll deal with it.anywayz i'm upgrading my pc next month.then i'll get another 1GB stick.

OP
cynosure

cynosure

UbuntuUser
Here comes the pain. I will be buying comp. next month when all my exams are over. I dont know much bout crysis but as you guys say its mem hungry then I think 1GB ram will screw that game and all other upcoming games as those will need more than 1GB ram. Hell!!!
But Ranjan says that 1.5GB ram "wont do any justice" should I go ahead with the 667MHz 2GB ram then?????

@ranjan/chaos
If I somehow use 667MHz ram then what peak speed can I get from my processor E6300 after OC????

And can I do justice to my gfx card by getting a 17" monitor, 19" will be out of my budget which is 63K max.
And I read that the widescreens are cheaper than the corresponding non-widescreen(I dont know what are they called) LCDs, so will a 19" widescreen will be cheaper than the 17" nonwidescreen ones?? or even if they have approx same cost then I can think of buying the widescreen.

I think of buying BenQ's FP71e+ 17", anybody using it???
Toms hardware brand it a good monitor for games, but they have loads of technical things written over there which i dont understand!!!

Last edited:

ranjan2001

Cyborg Agent
The best advice would be build up ur system step by step

Go for 1GB as of now, upgrade later to 2 Gb later this will take u to dual channel mode as of now u run 1gb in single channel mode.

1.5 will have trouble in dual channel, for dual channel the ram should be a paired ram of same config.

either go for 667 which can OC to 2.4 orgo for 800 which can Oc to 3.4 but remember u need a gud cooler before u think OC to that speed, dont know which part of India u live but here in delhi I cant run OC now as the temp goes too high.

Problem in ur approach is that u want every thing best in ur budget.................better would be plan & build system in parts so within 6-8 months u can have what u want rather than trying everything for just now in ur budget.

assasin

Banned
do wat ranjan 2001 suggested.its ur best bet.
even i'm doing that,i'll be selling off my mobo,proccy,ram and gfx card sometime next week and go in for a C2D based config.

OP
cynosure

cynosure

UbuntuUser
I live in NCR, the temp is quite high here too. Actually I want everything best because I dont want to spend more money in the near future coz my father wont let me do that. He's not a technical guy and will say that recently you upgraded your PC, why are you doing it again and things like that. :)
So my funda is to get a nice comp once and for at least 2 years.

ranjan2001

Cyborg Agent
then increase ur budget now & go for it, if not then atlaest say to ur dad the revised budget but say u wont buy all at one go since he prices are high now....................that way u can upgrade in future for lesser cost......................or wait for 6 months then buy the quadra core processors.

deathvirus_me

Wise Old Owl
cynosure said:
To all the guys who have OCd their PCs:
Maybe next month I will be buying a new PC (If i get into a nice clg with CS stream) and will overclock it, is this combination worth overclocking????

E6300 (2MB L2 cache 1.86Ghz 1066MHz FSB) Rs.8900
Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 Rs.9000 (Tom's Hardware wale used this)
250 GB SATAII Rs.3400
Kingston 667Mhz 2x1 GB Rs.8000
Zebronics 8800GTS 320MB Rs.19500 (Can I overclock this???)
L.G. 15" CRT 500G Rs.3700 (Saving money here :grin:)
16 X L.G. Rs.1600
Creative Inspire 2.1 Rs.1800 (Saving money here too)
Cooler Master 500W SMPS Rs.3200
Zebronics Elegance Cabinet Rs.1550
Microtech 600VA Rs.1800 (Here too :grin:)

This adds upto 62450

Also can I use Kingston 667Mhz RAM(overclocked of course) if I OC my processor to maybe 2.8 or 3.0 GHz???

Next, Will OC the Gigabyte MB give the same performance as the ASUS P5B-Dlx????

change ur CPU to E4300 .. then u can surely hit 3 GHz with ddr2-667 ram .. for a E6300 to hit 3 GHz u'll need ddr2-800 modules ..

About the 8800GTS , the GPU is fine .. but not a 320 MB frame buffer .. even current games like STALKER , CoH etc. etc. fully utilize 512 MB vram , so even though u'll get good fps , ur gameplay will be full of stutters ..

And about the mobo .. get the DS3P .. the performance diff. will hardly be noticeable in actual cases ...

Edburg

In the zone
yes its better to buy E4300 - 1.8 GHz (200*9) instead of the E6300 -1.86 GHz (266*7) .

So for 667 MHz DDR2 Ram E4300 can go upto 333*9=3GHz or even higher as most 667 MHz Ram can go higher than their rated speed by loosening the timings.

For E6300 for the same Ram 333*7=2.33 GHz and higher.

But u'll loose virtualization technoilogy by going to E4300 but who needs that for a home PC.

And regarding the 320 MB,its enough for lower resolutions as u are getting 17 or 19" monitor only.But as u move to higher resolutions and AA and anisotropic filtering and more textures,you'll need more Graphic memory.

assasin

Banned
Edburg said:
And regarding the 320 MB,its enough for lower resolutions as u are getting 17 or 19" monitor only.But as u move to higher resolutions and AA and anisotropic filtering and more textures,you'll need more Graphic memory.

if only gfx cards provided ram slots to add additional ram......:))

Edburg

In the zone
assasin said:
if only gfx cards provided ram slots to add additional ram......:))

Yes that would be great if they do so but those are different RAM type than the ones we use in our sys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom