Is this a good time to get a "gaming" laptop?

Anirban Dev

Broken In
Hi ,

Because of my older laptops abject inability to run Mass Effect 3 decently at any respectable resolution, I had to make a drastic decision of getting a good "gaming" laptop.
I have seen that many companies are beginning to sport new nvidia 6xx or ati 7xxxx cards these days, but according to notebookcheck, these are very often rehashes of previous series cards, and hence nothing to get excited over.
My questions :
1. Are these new mid-range cards going to be gamechangers(i.e. a 6770M equivalent in a sub 50k laptop), thus making it wiser to wait out a month or two?
2. If i go ahead and purchase(with a budget of 50k), what is the best option right now(apart from Acers)?
3. Exactly how weak is that GT 555m in the Lenovo Y570? Would it greatly outperform a 540m just with its superior clock-speed? Or would a core i5, gt 540m Z570 be just as good, gaming wise?
4. Should i just cut back on pizza for a couple of months for the dv6-6121tx?

Thanks,
Anirban

Ishu Gupta

Manchester United
555m = 6770M >> 540M

6121tx has been replaced by 6165tx.

And new CPUs are coming too. So its better to wait

OP
A

Anirban Dev

Broken In
But i have heard that the 555m that lenovo uses is the weaksauce lower cored one(96, i think) just operating at a higher clock than the 540m.
Not sure if that applies to the new Y570 though.
Out here in Bhubaneswar, a few stores still carry the 6121tx, and id like to save that 4 k(if i go over budget).
How big a difference will the Ivy Core processors make? I know stuff like heat and energy efficiency will increase, but wht abt pure performance? And wont they be somewhat costlier for a year or so after launch?

Ishu Gupta

Manchester United
But i have heard that the 555m that lenovo uses is the weaksauce lower cored one(96, i think) just operating at a higher clock than the 540m.
Ah yes. That one is crap.
Not sure if that applies to the new Y570 though.
Out here in Bhubaneswar, a few stores still carry the 6121tx, and id like to save that 4 k(if i go over budget).
How big a difference will the Ivy Core processors make? I know stuff like heat and energy efficiency will increase, but wht abt pure performance? And wont they be somewhat costlier for a year or so after launch?
Intel Ivy Bridge 2012 Laptops - Advantages and Improvements We’ll See

Ishu, but wait for how long?

Can't say. Not sooner than July.

OP
A

Anirban Dev

Broken In
Ishu Gupta;1606130 Can't say. Not sooner than July.[/QUOTE said:
Nah , July will just be too late.

So one last question :
At a res of 1366x768, does the 6770m offer a huge enough advantage over the 540m in performance to warrant the general 10 k price difference, since the i7 probably helps a very few games as of now?(id have loved if HP offered a sweet 50 k laptop with an i5 and that 6770m but that is not to be)

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
wait for 6 series from Nvidia or the 7 series from AMD to appear on more laptops. Anandtech reviewed a lappy sporting GT640 and results are quite impressive. Gaming Performance

kbar1

Journeyman
^^ Any idea how long till they arrive in India? I'm gonna put off buying a machine with NVIDIA GT540M.

mailshobhon

THE HARDCORE GAMER
^^ Any idea how long till they arrive in India? I'm gonna put off buying a machine with NVIDIA GT540M.

if budget is not a issue then you can go for these laptops

HP ProBook 4431s Laptop: Flipkart.com: Compare, Review HP Notebook

HP Envy 15-3017Tx Laptop: Flipkart.com: Compare, Review HP Notebook

best hardware avaible in the market right now

Top Bottom