Is the HP Authorised Service centre tricking me? Charging too much for motherboard replacement?

After nearly 2 years, my HP G6 2005AX finally gave in. Was doing a normal HP Update, and the laptop hanged/froze, during the update, refusing to boot up after that, and now the HP Customer care says the motherboard is damaged,needing replacement. This was 15th July.More than a month ago

It is out of warranty btw,which was sadly only 1 year.
So....
Last month they said it will cost Rs8000 to replace the motherboard (A8 4500M CPU and 7640M +7670G inbuilt)
Last week they called up again, saying they haven't ordered the part yet, but they can order it for Rs 9000
This morning they called up saying a technician will be going to Delhi to get the parts and it will cost Rs10,500
They say the CPU and GPU is soldered into the motherboard so you need to replace everything(ie CPU GPU MOTHERBOARD all everything), hence the price.
Is there a way of finding the actual price of the thing? ye know, to see if i am being tricked.

I am staying in Mizoram, which is remote state, so i understand the high price and all. But the way they are increasing the price...should i trust them?
What if i dont want them to replace it for me(assuming they are tricking me), is there a better alternative? can i buy the motherboard separately and ask local computer wallah to fix it for me??

Ok so if Rs10,500 is justified, can i ask them to put A10 on my laptop instead. Ye know, for a bit more. DOnt wanna spend 1/3rd of the laptop cost on the same old thing. If i get A10 on it, atleast it will have the illusion of "upgrade" and give some respite to my sorrow and grief..

Sorry for too many queries.. im jst so friggin confused. I have time till tomorrow to tell them to order for me,since the "engineer saheb" of HP will be reaching Delhi tomorrow.

retz

Broken In
They tried to charge me 7500 for a battery that was at ~20% with 500-600 cycles, despite the fact that it was showing an error id. I said **** you and got a <2k battery. Check with third party, perhaps?

Gollum

Collector
After nearly 2 years, my HP G6 2005AX finally gave in. Was doing a normal HP Update, and the laptop hanged/froze, during the update, refusing to boot up after that, and now the HP Customer care says the motherboard is damaged,needing replacement. This was 15th July.More than a month ago

It is out of warranty btw,which was sadly only 1 year.
So....
Last month they said it will cost Rs8000 to replace the motherboard (A8 4500M CPU and 7640M +7670G inbuilt)
Last week they called up again, saying they haven't ordered the part yet, but they can order it for Rs 9000
This morning they called up saying a technician will be going to Delhi to get the parts and it will cost Rs10,500
They say the CPU and GPU is soldered into the motherboard so you need to replace everything(ie CPU GPU MOTHERBOARD all everything), hence the price.
Is there a way of finding the actual price of the thing? ye know, to see if i am being tricked.

I am staying in Mizoram, which is remote state, so i understand the high price and all. But the way they are increasing the price...should i trust them?
What if i dont want them to replace it for me(assuming they are tricking me), is there a better alternative? can i buy the motherboard separately and ask local computer wallah to fix it for me??

Ok so if Rs10,500 is justified, can i ask them to put A10 on my laptop instead. Ye know, for a bit more. DOnt wanna spend 1/3rd of the laptop cost on the same old thing. If i get A10 on it, atleast it will have the illusion of "upgrade" and give some respite to my sorrow and grief..

Sorry for too many queries.. im jst so friggin confused. I have time till tomorrow to tell them to order for me,since the "engineer saheb" of HP will be reaching Delhi tomorrow.

10.5k is way too much. Have you not asked them to justify the cost.
can you send me the HP case number

OP
mikael_schiffer

mikael_schiffer

Padawan
The laptop is with them so can't tell u the number and all. BTW I saw some online shops US based and the price is $150 which does not include service and installation charge. Moreover,in India, there is no way of buying from third party. Local shops can repair hard disk,replace LCD,battery etc but no one wants to deal with motherboard replacement.

- - - Updated - - -

To justify the cost they said the Apu needs to be replaced along with the motherboard..

Gollum

Collector
The laptop is with them so can't tell u the number and all. BTW I saw some online shops US based and the price is $150 which does not include service and installation charge. Moreover,in India, there is no way of buying from third party. Local shops can repair hard disk,replace LCD,battery etc but no one wants to deal with motherboard replacement.

- - - Updated - - -

To justify the cost they said the Apu needs to be replaced along with the motherboard..

apu is a part of the motherboard

rhyansy

MSI Gaming Pan India Sale
Hi there! Mobo is the soul of the laptop, and as you have already mentioned, almost everything is soldered into it, that's why it usually costs a fortune just to repair/replace it. Small unauthorized service partners don't want to deal with it because laptop mobo needs a whole new level of expertise to do it right. Even if you decide to repair/replace your laptop the cost is justified at that cost but is not reasonable enough to do. A logical choice is to just buy a new laptop.

OP
mikael_schiffer

mikael_schiffer

Padawan
if money is there, everyone would want a new laptop. Thing is i dont have the money for a new laptop... My scholarship will arrive at December at the soonest and that too just Rs18,000. So 10k+18k=28k still wont get a usable gaming laptop :(

anirbandd

Conversation Architect
see if you can get hold of the docket/case number.
[MENTION=85950]Gollum[/MENTION] can help you on this ;)

Gollum

Collector
see if you can get hold of the docket/case number.
[MENTION=85950]Gollum[/MENTION] can help you on this ;)

I have no jurisdiction in that department but I spoke to a friend of mine who works in India and he said that he has seen the quote going up to 13k
They probably do not have the motherboard in stock and may have to import it
so the cost would be import fee+service/labour+part cost

Also local technician cannot replace the board as the HP OEM OS will not install on it.
the board needs the PCID to be updated along with the rest of the details like the serial number.
So if OP is using pirated OS then he can actually get the motherboard installed.
Problem is, HP does not sell motherboards like this.

gamefreak4770k

Journeyman
bad luck dude but you are not the only one... looks like by using hp update you flashed your BIOS hp update is the damn culprit there are many cases on the net itself where users laptops did not function after the BIOS update via hp update .... Google yourself if you don't believe me.. hp trys to push updates via the damn software and we all know flashing via windows is dangerous i suggest you go to hp guys and tell em that they fix it for free because its a fault at their end...

Otherwise threaten them that you'll go to consumer court

btw the updates available on their website are not 100% for your system..Hp update fetches from there. That's the season that your system is dead

Top Bottom