IS OPEN SOURCE FOR LINUX ALONE?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aijaz Akhtar

Journeyman
1. It is strange that when people create forums or join a forum of GNU/Open Source, they only talk about Linux. Why do they forget host of software for Windows too??????
And
2. Ok, Linux is fine. I use that too. But I feel pained that whenever noobs want some help, the tux geeks provide long mumbo jumbo of ./make and ./configure et al. Why, there exist so many GUI customisation.

pradeep_chauhan

Cyborg Agent
Now even solaris comes under the open source banner Free BSD is alo there all these OS are also discussed here. Your querry about GUI there are GUI that are available but then not many users are confertable with GUI as these are all heavy and wast resources unnessesaraly.
"But I feel pained that whenever noobs want some help, the tux geeks provide long mumbo jumbo of ./make and ./configure et al."
trust me this will not happen here please come out with your querry.

GNU_Coder

Right off the assembly line
AijaZ ...u r right.It's really strange to see so many technical people illiterately behaving when it comes to Open Source. GNU and Open Source are not synonymous.GNU stands for GNU is not UNIX. You can say that presentaly famous as Linux is GNU Operating System.Open Source is another thing..it consists of vast amount of software developed for free distro and source of which are also available for free.

./make and ./configure are not headache man.You have alternative as you can use packaged softwares..e.g. rpm files or deian package
Don't bother about GUI Customization...just stick to one desktop environment like me.GNOME is widespread and popular than KDE.So it's better option.

GNUrag

FooBar Guy
Aijaz Akhtar said:
1. It is strange that when people create forums or join a forum of GNU/Open Source, they only talk about Linux. Why do they forget host of software for Windows too??????
Probably because for every 100 GNU/Linux packages... there's hardly 2/3 packages available for WIndows platf. And i prefer to run applications on the platform on which they were originally designed.

vignesh

Wise Old Owl
visit sourceforge.net for a huge list of opensource software for linux and windows.
this is open source list i have used and use
firefox
thunderbird
vlc media player
openoffice
clamwin antivirus

sujithtom

Ambassador of Buzz
Linux with GNU lic is the frontiers in open source thts why they speak mostly abt Linux. Even Microsoft have released a few Opensource Programs.

h4xbox

Journeyman
@sutjith tom :
Iam not aware of the fact that Microsoft has released open source packages / programs.

@gnurag:can ye pls clarify what package or programs have been released by MS as open source.

firewall

In the zone
Microsoft released the code of WiX on SourceForge.net. WiX stands for Windows Installer XML, is intended for building Windows installation packages from XML source code.

WiX is being offered under the Common Public License, an open source license originally authored by IBM. The license, one of many approved by the Open Source Initiative and listed on its opensource.org Web site, allows developers to modify the code and use it in commercial products.

and by the way this has been released back in April 2004 ! pretty old news .. huh ! ;)

*sourceforge.net/projects/wix/ and *msdn.microsoft.com/chats/transcripts/windows/windows_110904a.aspx

:)

Aijaz Akhtar said:
And
2. Ok, Linux is fine. I use that too. But I feel pained that whenever noobs want some help, the tux geeks provide long mumbo jumbo of ./make and ./configure et al. Why, there exist so many GUI customisation.

open source or gnu established by Richard Stallman as FSF in 1986,got a special momentum with advent of linux kernal developed by Linus Torvalds in 1991,whence the many packages developed by fsf were started shipping with linux kernal to form a distro which can be used as a OS,which became a great revolutionary success in the world of free software, hence i suppose there is a more talk on linux.

firewall

In the zone
shri75 said:
open source or gnu established by Richard Stallman.

Where you find that RMS ( Richard Stallman ) established Open Source or he has any relationship with open Source conept?

And also what you mean by "opn source or gnu " ? you mean both are same or what ?

--

it_waaznt_me

Coming back to life ..
Hmm.. Linux was the main reason for so much propoganda of Open source movement .. Even BSD didnt got so much hype as Linux got .. Thats why people usually talk about Linux when we refer to Open Source ...

firewall said:
shri75 said:
open source or gnu established by Richard Stallman.

Where you find that RMS ( Richard Stallman ) established Open Source or he has any relationship with open Source conept?

And also what you mean by "opn source or gnu " ? you mean both are same or what ?

--

am i wrong :?: if so make it more clear :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom