Is moore's law still valid?

Arun the Gr8

Journeyman
Since the inception of the multi-core era, I've been hearing rumors that Moore's law, which governed the performance of the microprocessors for quite some time, is failing. Is it true?

rajan1311

Padawan
not valid these days IMO...well, according to Intel, this was told way back in 2003, processors will have speeds of around 10GHz by the year 2010 :p

so anyways, moore's law is a bit too hard for engineers to manage, they need a new law now, care to state ? My law: number of cores is doubled every 2 years... :D

vamsi_krishna

Human Spambot
These days its more or like this.. Invent damn cores.. invent damn powerful GPUs.. and we create complex problems so that those power can be fully utilized. Its like, finding a solution first and then searching a problem for which the discovered solution fits perfectly.

adi007

Youngling
Its not a 'law'. I am amused to see that its stated as laws in every god damn engineering text books. and my friends byheart it and write the figure and boost that they got full marks for the question :D

Well its an prediction by Moore who used to be a Intel Engineer/Co-founder. Practically ULSI/GLSI and above transistor integration has limits due to power dissipation, loading effect etc etc And in the future say 40-50 Years from now, i think we may have a replacement technology to good old transistor.

*en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moore's_law

Top Bottom