Is it really worth to buy MediaTek processor phones?

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
I don't know what's wrong with MediaTek processor. Can someone enlighten me in simple words ?
Phones in India which are launched with low end mediatek SoCs are priced absurdly high compared to those having Snapdragon SoCs. These phones generally have cancer-worthy stock UI and there is zero to none developer support for them. Buyers are then at the mercy of the OEM for updates and security patches which never get released in time if at all.

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
Thanks. What I heard was that they are less powerful than Qualcomm. Any truth in that ?
To some extent yes. Their flagship models never make it to India and the low end ones barely match previous generation Qualcomm SoCs performance. It's like AMD GPUs trying to catch up with nvidia GPUs for performance and efficiency.

ankushv

Journeyman
Unless they release a dual volte 4g always ON on both Sims , I guess people will not be inticed to buy mediatek .
They have lost at that to , as I read the Redmi note 5 pro in China with Qualcomm has dual volte and always on 4g on both Sims .
Correct me if I am wrong please .
Cheers !

Sent from my MI MAX 2 using Tapatalk

Nerevarine

Incarnate
Unless they release a dual volte 4g always ON on both Sims , I guess people will not be inticed to buy mediatek .
They have lost at that to , as I read the Redmi note 5 pro in China with Qualcomm has dual volte and always on 4g on both Sims .
Correct me if I am wrong please .
Cheers !

Sent from my MI MAX 2 using Tapatalk

wow that seems like an epic feature, how will it affect battery

ankushv

Journeyman
I read on the Mi forums they plan to bring the dual volte feature to the indian Redmi note 5 pro too .
But the indian variant is slightly different from it's Chinese counterpart in terms of the camera .
So let's see if it can work here .
SD 660 seems to support dual volte.
I'll believe it when I actually see it as the information on the web is still unverified .
Regards to battery life we have to see .
This could be good in my case as I have Airtel and Vodafone in Mumbai .
Both are Volte here . I use them in my Mi5 and Mi Max 2 .

Sent from my HM NOTE 1LTE using Tapatalk

$hadow

Geek in making
I won't hold my breath for Xiaomi to come up with that on note 5 pro, they might launch it with some other phone and state it a feature and then enable this feature to older devices.

sonali456

Broken In
It is worthty as MTK Phones maker mostly didnt release update for its phone and mediatek itself didnt release source for its SoC.

ankushv

Journeyman
If a p60 helio and a Sd 636 is similarly priced , I'd go for the Sd 636 .

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk

gta5

Ambassador of Buzz
This year is a game changer for Mediatek

Helios P60 is a powerful performer equal to SD 660 in cpu and this time they have also got the GPU right ..

Plus it is very power efficient as well.. Check Oppo f7 gsmarena battery tests

And project treble has solved their major weakness

An Obscure MediaTek Phone with no Kernel Source can run AOSP Android Oreo thanks to Project Treble

The recently launched oppo realme 1 is an ultra bang for buck performer for 9k ..

Also dual 4g volte + AI stuff ..

Finally some true competition , thanks to treble and mediatek

Last edited:

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
This year is a game changer for Mediatek

Helios P60 is a powerful performer equal to SD 660 in cpu and this time they have also got the GPU right ..

Plus it is very power efficient as well.. Check Oppo f7 gsmarena battery tests

And project treble has solved their major weakness

An Obscure MediaTek Phone with no Kernel Source can run AOSP Android Oreo thanks to Project Treble

The recently launched oppo realme 1 is an ultra bang for buck performer for 9k ..

Also dual 4g volte + AI stuff ..

Finally some true competition , thanks to treble and mediatek

They are stupid to launch a phone with <4000 mAh battery in this budget. Also, 64 GB should've been on the base model instead of 32 GB. For non-techie people (easily >90% of population), treble support is as big of a jargon as SoC is.

Google should mandate that OEMs can't mutilate the OS anyway and are just allowed to add functionality (like a skin) on top of it. That'll be the end of all crap iOS wannabe UIs.

gta5

Ambassador of Buzz
They are stupid to launch a phone with <4000 mAh battery in this budget. Also, 64 GB should've been on the base

Google should mandate that OEMs can't mutilate the OS anyway and are just allowed to add functionality (like a skin) on top of it. That'll be the end of all crap iOS wannabe UIs.

Looking at battery size alone can be misleading

Oppo f7 scores 91h endurance rating with same battery and chipset .. Screen is slightly bigger but LTPS variety on f7

So battery life should be good .. And my guess is not that far behind note 5 pro

Bigger battery would have increased the price

For non-techie people (easily >90% of population), treble support is as big of a jargon as SoC is.

That is true for offline market but
Online market is complete opposite in budget and mid range , it is like 80% semi- techie population , that knows about soc , watches all YouTube reviews etc .. Look at the amount of views/subscribers popular Indian tech channels are generating

This is why xiaomi , honor , Asus max m1 phones have been so successful without much advertising by giving bang for buck hardware at low prices and getting rave youtube reviews

Non techie people mostly buy Samsung , vivo , oppo( except this realme one ) etc

Last edited:

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
Looking at battery size alone can be misleading

Oppo f7 scores 91h endurance rating with same battery and chipset .. Screen is slightly bigger but LTPS variety on f7

So battery life should be good .. And my guess is not that far behind note 5 pro

Bigger battery would have increased the price

That is true for offline market but
Online market is complete opposite in budget and mid range , it is like 80% semi- techie population , that knows about soc , watches all YouTube reviews etc .. Look at the amount of views/subscribers popular Indian tech channels are generating

This is why xiaomi , honor , Asus max m1 phones have been so successful without much advertising by giving bang for buck hardware at low prices and getting rave youtube reviews

Non techie people mostly buy Samsung , vivo , oppo( except this realme one ) etc
It isn't just the cut down battery, they removed finger print scanner as well. Trying to copy crap from Apple is going way too far now.

Minion

Conversation Architect
MediaTek is good for people who don't want to flash custom ROMs, previously different custom ROMs were unique and some of them were very stable just like stock ROMs but now most of them are build on same device tree so if device tree is buggy then all ROMs are buggy.
2nd thing I don't like about custom ROMs are Camera they can't capture good photos like stock ROMs
lastly there is no build with stable status every build is like beta builds

Currently, Only Paranoid, Lineage and some AOSP ROMs comes with unique features are stable. These are the reason why I left custom ROM community

AcceleratorX

Youngling
No, Oreo is generally better for battery life than Marshmallow.

The thread has a wrong premise. MediaTek does not target the high end, they target mid-range mostly.

Between 10K and 26K, you can find good mediatek phones. Above this range, MTK loses value very quickly.

Performance wise, Qualcomm generally ends up having the better GPU at the higher mid range, for e.g. SD 636/660 vs. Helio P60, GPU wise it's a win for Snapdragon.

But in lower end, Helio P20/P22/P25 is generally more than a match for the SD 625/626/450/630 variants, even GPU wise.

MediaTek phones generally come with better cameras at the lower end (because, developers do not want to put much effort into programming DSP for a low end phone, and MTK has dedicated IP cores for camera and image processing - while Snapdragon has a flexible and highly programmable DSP called Hexagon, complemented by an Image Processor named Spectra). This means that "without much effort" and using the same hardware, the Mediatek phone will generally click better pics.

Mediatek SOCs also have Wolfson/Cirrus Logic IP to handle the audio parts - though not as good as dedicated DAC. Many Snapdragon phones have dedicated high quality DAC and many don't - but Qualcomm's stock one is a bit worse than MTK.

Such reasons give a lot of encouragement to device developers to use Mediatek for low end devices. Qualcomm has tried to fix this with SD 439 and SD 450, but IMHO still lagging. Mediatek was also first to market with Dual 4G VoLTE, which Qualcomm missed (though now there is parity).

For example, at the lower mid range, Helio A22, P23 support Dual 4G VoLTE, but Snapdragon 625/450 do not.

The device makers feel updates and custom ROMs will not be a big deal for lower end phone users, and to some extent they are right. Mediatek is trying to remedy that with a GMS Express program where they will make a regularly updated stock AOSP ROM available for a particular SOC for all the device OEMs....it should at least ensure timely security patches. I am seeing a few vendors become timely on security patch updates with MTK SOCs now.

Top Bottom