Is it a good time to buy a laptop? Need your suggestions on timing and options- Budget 50-53k

What laptop to buy from the following-

• HP Pavilion M6-1005tx

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Dell 15R Turbo FHD

• Asus S56CA-XX056R

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

achyutaghosh

Journeyman
Dear All,

This is a fresh start to a thread i had opened 2-3 months back. I am ptting this as a fresh post as a lot has changed including budget and prospective options. I wanted to replace my trusty 3 yr old Lenovo Y550, am looking at desktop replacement multimedia machine with low gaming and here are prospective systems that i have shortlisted and i welcome your feedback and comments-

1) What is your budget? Upto INR 55,000 max

2) What size & weight consideration (if any) would you prefer?
Mainstream; 15" - 16" screen
Desktop Replacement; 17"+ screen

3) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
No Brand Preference- but among the laptops that I have checked out, my current shortlist, in no order of preference seems like-

1) HP M6- 1005tx (*www.flipkart.com/hp-pavilion-m6-10...750gb-win-7-hp-2gb-graph/p/itmdc3jm9zexwxqp)- very well built, light, great battery back up and sound, but very dim screen, - @Nehru place for 53.5k, Infibeam for 52k
2) Samsung NP550P5C-S01IN (Samsung NP550P5C-S01IN Laptop (3rd Gen Ci5/ 6GB/ 1TB/ Win7 HP/ 2GB Graph): Flipkart.com: Compare, Review Samsung Notebook i like this machine a lot, great sound and screen, for 50.5k@Nehru Place. Diwali offer- headset and 10k travel voucher
3) Dell 15R Turbo (The Dell Online Store: Build Your System would have been the system to buy but pushing the limits of my budget. I like it more now having seen it - way way better than my office Vostro. Online price 57.5k, Diwali offer- a wifi headset worth 2.5k free
4) Asus S56CA-XX056R (Asus S56CA-XX056R Ultrabook (3rd Gen Ci5/ 4GB/ 750GB + 24GB SSD/ Win7 HB): Flipkart.com: Compare, Review Asus Ultrabook- dunno why there are no reviews available for this machine, i really liked the built quality of the system, the sound was surprisingly good and it also offers a SSD. The screen was average, and lacks graphic card.

4) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?
1. Mostly for multimedia activities like- Watching movies, listening to songs, surfing etc
2. Light office work
3. Light gaming

5) What screen resolution(s) & type (glossy/matte) would you prefer?
No Preference

6) Anything else you would like to say?

I would prefer a system with a big screen (15.6 min- 17 preferable), a dvd slot, high on RAM, very good battery life, and great, great sound quality. I am currently using a Lenovo Y550- excellent system with a subwoofer, JBL audio and great picture quality. Want to replace it as it is 3 yrs old and slowing down.

Additionally, i was thinking whether it is a good time to buy a laptop now because of the following-

1. Windows 8 launch this month, will lead to a slew of new product launches OPTIMIZED for the new OS rather than upgrading hardware tailor made for Windows 7. here might be new functionalities such as magic touchpad etc in new hardware which will use all capabilities of the new OS.

2. But the new systems might speak a new design language in addition to a new set of target customers who want mobility- so smaller screen sizes, hybrid screens, touch friendly OS, low capacity but fast SSD storage etc, which is not exactly what I am seeking. I want traditional values- big screens, high capacity storage, don't care much about weight and happy with Windows 7. So should i stick to current hardware and just do an upgrade for INR 699 as advertized once Windows 8 is bugfree?

3. Windows 8 launch again may put downward pressure on current Windows 7 system pricing which will ensure better deals on current hardware in the months to follow- i can wait a couple of months

4. Will Diwali offers be substantial?

5. Are there any to be launched systems that you are aware of that you would advise me to wait for?

6. Does a full HD screen make a huge difference over standard HD ones- worth the 4-5k difference that Dell charges?

7. Do i ask too many questions?

Last edited:

Chaitanya

Cyborg Agent
If laptop isn't neccesary then get a desktop for 10k more so that you may play latest games @ FHD for more than a year...

If you don't plan to get laptop ASAP then wait till diwali/Win8 Launch.

OP
A

achyutaghosh

Journeyman
If laptop isn't neccesary then get a desktop for 10k more so that you may play latest games @ FHD for more than a year...

If you don't plan to get laptop ASAP then wait till diwali/Win8 Launch.

No desktops sir- will be laptop only. Am willing to wait till Diwali- what would be your pics among the list above?

jpushkarh

Broken In
What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?
1. Mostly for multimedia activities like- Watching movies, listening to songs, surfing etc
2. Light office work
3. Light gaming

For this task do you need i7 ? i3 & i5 Might be sufficient one ..

I am also in same Dilemma that to wait for W8 pro Tab or pick any lap ..
I want lap for Development mainly mob I cant use desk because my office is on Ground Floor & I live on First Floor .. Ha ha ha Freelancer...

rider

as Kratos
Get HP Pavilion M6-1005tx. It will be an awesome for your needs. The best thing about the laptop is beautiful metallic design, outstanding battery life of 7 hours, HP Triple Bass Reflex Subwoofer, Dual Speakers with Subwoofer, 2 x Beats Audio Internal Speakers and free 2 years onsite warranty included one year accidental damage cover.

Buy it from infibeam you will get discount upto 10% by using coupon GREEN2012 and by sending some junk phone or camera. And upgrading to windows 8 pro is easy you just have to register that in microsoft website they will charge you 699 rupees. For more better contact TDF user web.genuis who is currently using this laptop.

User review: *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/show-off/164060-my-latest-purchase-hp-pavilion-m6.html

OP
A

achyutaghosh

Journeyman
Get HP Pavilion M6-1005tx. It will be an awesome for your needs. The best thing about the laptop is beautiful metallic design, outstanding battery life of 7 hours, HP Triple Bass Reflex Subwoofer, Dual Speakers with Subwoofer, 2 x Beats Audio Internal Speakers and free 2 years onsite warranty included one year accidental damage cover.

Buy it from infibeam you will get discount upto 10% by using coupon GREEN2012 and by sending some junk phone or camera. And upgrading to windows 8 pro is easy you just have to register that in microsoft website they will charge you 699 rupees. For more better contact TDF user web.genuis who is currently using this laptop.

User review: *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/show-off/164060-my-latest-purchase-hp-pavilion-m6.html

Thanks a ton Rider. Dunno how this system escaped my radar- i thought i had done a thorough job :) Very good machine, and price comes down in the range of 52k if i use the discount vouchers. Only grouse is the 720p screen, somehow the Sammy and Dell inch ahead just because of the screen.

Any idea how the Asus KV55VM is?

rider

as Kratos
Thanks a ton Rider. Dunno how this system escaped my radar- i thought i had done a thorough job :) Very good machine, and price comes down in the range of 52k if i use the discount vouchers. Only grouse is the 720p screen, somehow the Sammy and Dell inch ahead just because of the screen.

Any idea how the Asus KV55VM is?

The screen is fine just an average LED panel not something to hate it or make issue. Dunno why people care about screen more than the tech specs and quality of the laptop. It will cost you under 52k easily by using that coupon. For first the price will deduct to 52.5k (5% discount) and when they receive your junk product they will cashback upto 2500 rupees more. Overall it will cost you about 50k bucks. Asus KV55VM is fine but you will not get any genuine windows OS (which costs 6-7k), much better after sales, as hp comes with free 2 years onsite warranty included one year accidental damage cover, worse GPU (HD 7670M > GT 630M), worse battery life just upto 3-4 hours and one of your main priority the sound quality. In asus laptop sound is just average just simple altech lansing speakers without sub-woofer. Hp has incredible beats sound engine that will make you drool when you listen some flac songs in it. I would suggest you take a demo of HP Pavilion M6-1005tx in nearby hp showroom before ordering from infibeam. Hope I helped you in taking your right decision.

Last edited:

Chaitanya

Cyborg Agent
Definitely +1 to HP m6....

nice one. :-D

@OP thanks for clearing question about desktops.

Definitely +1 to HP m6....

nice one. :-D

@OP thanks for clearing question about desktops.

OP
A

achyutaghosh

Journeyman
The screen is fine just an average LED panel not something to hate it or make issue. Dunno why people care about screen more than the tech specs and quality of the laptop. It will cost you under 52k easily by using that coupon. For first the price will deduct to 52.5k (5% discount) and when they receive your junk product they will cashback upto 2500 rupees more. Overall it will cost you about 50k bucks. Asus KV55VM is fine but you will not get any genuine windows OS (which costs 6-7k), much better after sales, as hp comes with free 2 years onsite warranty included one year accidental damage cover, worse GPU (HD 7670M > GT 630M), worse battery life just upto 3-4 hours and one of your main priority the sound quality. In asus laptop sound is just average just simple altech lansing speakers without sub-woofer. Hp has incredible beats sound engine that will make you drool when you listen some flac songs in it. I would suggest you take a demo of HP Pavilion M6-1005tx in nearby hp showroom before ordering from infibeam. Hope I helped you in taking your right decision.

Ok then the m6 above the Asus is a given then, but how about the m6 against the Dell and the Sammy 550p? They have stronger configurations in addition to screens?

rider

as Kratos
Ok then the m6 above the Asus is a given then, but how about the m6 against the Dell and the Sammy 550p? They have stronger configurations in addition to screens?
Your main priorties are:
2. Light office work
3. Light gaming

Samsung NP550P5C-S01IN the has best GPU for its class, but It is for who those young guys who only cares about high end gaming performance. But there are many things that you will not get in samsung like onsite warranty, accidental cover, not outstanding battery like M6 has (upto 7 hours), screen is not totally great as it seems on specs yes it is 900p but resolution is not everything ,the contrast ratio of samsung laptop is very poor. But as I say take demo of laptops in showroom before finalize.
Dell inspiron 15r turbo is superb model but quite heavier, bulkier and you will not full HD 1080p model in your budget this has same normal screen like M6 has. 1080p inspiron will cost you around 57k from dell india website, if you extend your budget its better choice for you as it has better GPU than M6.

Last edited:
OP
A

achyutaghosh

Journeyman
Thats a good idea, i will surely take demos. The m6 seems to be a great allrounder, but i read some reviews which talk about its screen being not too great in terms of brightness and viewing angles....

OP
A

achyutaghosh

Journeyman
Your main priorties are:

Samsung NP550P5C-S01IN the has best GPU for its class, but It is for who those young guys who only cares about high end gaming performance. But there are many things that you will not get in samsung like onsite warranty, accidental cover, not outstanding battery like M6 has (upto 7 hours), screen is not totally great as it seems on specs yes it is 900p but resolution is not everything ,the contrast ratio of samsung laptop is very poor. But as I say take demo of laptops in showroom before finalize.
Dell inspiron 15r turbo is superb model but quite heavier, bulkier and you will not full HD 1080p model in your budget this has same normal screen like M6 has. 1080p inspiron will cost you around 57k from dell india website, if you extend your budget its better choice for you as it has better GPU than M6.

Rider, had gone to Nehru Place today and updated the opening post after taking demos- reduced list from 10 to 4- was impressed by the m6's weight, built, sound but the screen was a let down. The 550P seemed better, but the best was the Inspiron 15R Turbo- i was completely bowled by the system, its costing around 57.5k and they said its set for a price increase. I also liked the Asus X56- dont know why there are no reviews available for the same, people seem to be quite taken by it at NP.

I am still not impressed by the "Diwali offers"- are they yet to come? I thought they would have been in by Dussehra....also, should i wait for Windows 8 systems to come in? Will Windows 7 h/w prices reduce drastically once next systems come into the market?

OP
A

achyutaghosh

Journeyman
Final choice- Dell Inspiron 15R Turbo- core i5, 8 gb RAM, 1 TB HDD, Radeon 7730M, 1080p - ordered online today from Dell. Final cost, after 3% corporate discount= INR 56,011/-
Used my HDFC card to convert it into 6 month interest free EMI.

Expected date of delivery- 1st November.

Thank you all for your inputs!

Top Bottom