Is Internet Explorer really free?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rajat22

In the zone
Is Internet Explorer really free?

I don’t think it is free anymore. Considering, the latest version (or update I should say) that comes along with Microsoft Windows XP SP2 will of course install only on Windows XP machines. So, this means the users of Windows 98, Windows ME, and Windows 2000 are pretty much left on their own. And the next major version will come in Longhorn most probably which would mean that the users of Windows XP has had their last Internet Explorer update.

So, this means Internet Explorer is no longer a browser that you can just download on your machine and be happy! This means, Internet Explorer has become a component of the main Operating System that you will have to buy to get access to the browser. Does a not sound like a free deal to me. Internet Explorer SP1 was indeed available to as ancient windows machines as Windows 98. That, in my opinion is the latest free version of the monstrous Internet Explorer.

So, what about other browsers in the market. Safari suffers the same fate as it cannot be used on the last major version of Mac OS which would be version 9. Opera is free in the ad-supported version. And most of the other so-called browsers are just browser skins. So, practically the only free browsers in the market at this moment are the browsers from the Mozilla stables: Camino, Mozilla Suite and Firefox.

Source
*stuff.techwhack.com/

Choto Cheeta

Rebooting
hmm IE isnt for linux... so if u dont have a windows then how can u use it?? & for windows u r paying a one time charge for all the componetns... so IE is chargeble...

but in question for MAC... i think its a free download...

IE for MAC

so in that case its free...

Tech&ME

Banned
saurav_cheeta said:
hmm IE isnt for linux... so if u dont have a windows then how can u use it?? & for windows u r paying a one time charge for all the componetns... so IE is chargeble...

but in question for MAC... i think its a free download...

IE for MAC

so in that case its free...

And microsoft has already stopped technical support for win 98 and all previously released versions so the question of FREE for win 98 does not arries.

IE7 will be available for Win XP since the beta is already available for it. And it will be FREE.

shaunak

Tux Fan
Put 2 and 2 together:
1> ie distributes only for windows and mac.
2>if you are on mac you need to w8 for the full release
3> if you r on windows you have to b on xp as according to ms 98 dosnt exist. its ancient dumped , in the trash
4> if u r on xp you MUST have the latest patches instaled
5>billy wouldnt develop ie for linix now would he?

therefore it all makes sense! sort of!?

stop mulling over the whole ie thing and use your brains for better purposes like saving the world or finding a cure for cancer.

ie is 100% free if your system matches the min requirements that includes having a compatent os.

anyway opera's wayfaster than ie and its 100% free now with no string attached.

mail2and

Walking, since 2004.
IMO development of IE for mac was stopped in 2001...

Anyways when you have 2 top of the line browsers(and the only 2 which pass the Acid2 test) namely safari and camino... who needs to use IE :p

even Ff and opera suffice :)

D

Deleted member 5901

i dis-agree nothing is FREE !!! Everyone pay For eveything is some way or the other !!! If i download Soemthing i pay !!! Not for a (SO CALLED)Free Download......but I do pay for the Electricity & Internet service i use !!! SO How can we call Anything free nothing is free !!!

And Any Why do people Talk about free or not When 90%+ people in INDIA Don't even know that Windows 98 or XP is not FREE !! Coz they think WHEN buying a computer getting WIN 98 & win XP is their BIRTH RIGHT !!! People talk about computers from 18 & 20k Including Win98 and Win XP !!! Which is Piracy !!!

And others Say Microsoft and Bill gates is the richest in the World !!! That Does not Mean u have a right to Piracy(Robbery)!!!

Wat do u guys say ?

Cheers !!!

Tech&ME

Banned
King_Niral said:
i dis-agree nothing is FREE !!! Everyone pay For eveything is some way or the other !!! If i download Soemthing i pay !!! Not for a (SO CALLED)Free Download......but I do pay for the Electricity & Internet service i use !!! SO How can we call Anything free nothing is free !!!

And Any Why do people Talk about free or not When 90%+ people in INDIA Don't even know that Windows 98 or XP is not FREE !! Coz they think WHEN buying a computer getting WIN 98 & win XP is their BIRTH RIGHT !!! People talk about computers from 18 & 20k Including Win98 and Win XP !!! Which is Piracy !!!

And others Say Microsoft and Bill gates is the richest in the World !!! That Does not Mean u have a right to Piracy(Robbery)!!!

Wat do u guys say ?

Cheers !!!

Hey U are mistaken buddy, no one here is talking about win 98 and XP to be FREE, only the IE to be FREE. And I think you are not aware of the lawsuit faced by Microsoft due to integrating IE free of cost with its OS's. Although Microsoft won the case, and even now Microsoft is still bungling IE Free with its upcoming OS windows Vista also.

You don't understand the meaning of FREE software here, its not the internet service and electricity bills that you pay to download FREE softwares of the net. Do you know how much Microsoft spends in creating IE ? :?: and for that matter, do you know how much electricity and other resources are required when those software developers codes to create FREE for use software for you ???? like IE ????? :?:

So IE is still FREE in all senses till Microsoft decides to bundle in FREE with its OS's and FREE distribution as standealone download.

Ablenwill

Broken In
I think its free as you can download latest version of IE from MS website anytime and also the updates and patch for same. So I dont think u get IE only with the OS and is paid.

srijit

Broken In
of course IE is free. It only requires you to pay for the OS it runs on. and since its free, its just full of CRAP :p

Sreekanth V

Journeyman
We cant say it is not free, because there are many free softwares for linux that wont work in windows and devolouped for a specified OS doesn't mean it is not a free software. We can only say it is not open source. There are many free softwares that work only foe Windows.

D

Deleted member 5901

LIKE I SAID EARLIER !! Its not free...When and if u buy or or use WINDOWS then only will u be able to use internet explorer. So till then Microsoft has already charged u for everything..

Cheers !!

Tech&ME

Banned
King_Niral said:
LIKE I SAID EARLIER !! Its not free...When and if u buy or or use WINDOWS then only will u be able to use internet explorer. So till then Microsoft has already charged u for everything..

Cheers !!

How can you expect IE to run on OPEN SOURCE OS like linux, when linux itself is a competetive product for Microsoft.

Besides IE is also available for Windows Mobile platform for FREE. And it remains FREE in all senses.

And IE is also available for FREE for Mac !!! does this ring any bells in you ??? Does Microsoft charge anything from you when you purchase a Mac OS from Apple ??? :roll: :twisted:

[Edited Batty]Personal attack removed: Contribute to the discussion and if you cannot, then dont flame. Consider this as a warning

shaunak

Tux Fan
Suppose you download Americas army which is 100% free and available for all mac windows and linix.
then i dosnt run coz i dont have a gfx card and i go buy the card for 3k so will i say that the ^^free^^ game costed me "3K"?
NO

bottomline : its free, itl run on your system for free with no hidden costs as long as your system meets the minimum requirems HARDWARE or SOFTWARE.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom