Is i5 2400 logical choice over i5 2500k?

Varunnagwekar

Semi-Geek
Hi,

I'm about to buy a new set of processor, mobo and ram tomorrow (From Lamington, Mumbai). I have been reading and following the advice over this forum for around one month. It seems i5 2500K is a favorite pick among many people over here. So, I had locked into that one for purchase. But today, I read an article over at Tom's Hardware (link to the article is at the end).

I'll quote one part of the article

"From a raw processing standpoint the Core i5-2500K offers very little over the cheaper Core i5-2400. It does hold three distinctions, however: it's clocked a few hundred MHz higher, it comes with Intel HD 3000 graphics, and it has an unlocked CPU multiplier. The 200 MHz (300 MHz with Turbo Boost) advantage is almost insignificant, and gamers with discrete graphics cards will care little about the integrated graphics power, but the unlocked CPU multiplier is a must for overclockers using any Sandy Bridge-based CPU."

So, in summary,
1- a few MHZ doesn't matter much.
2- I already have a discreet GPU - 4870 HD
3- I probably won't overclock as I don't have proper cooling, though I have a good Cooler Master cabinet - CM 690 Advanced II.

So this makes it actually stupid to buy it for me to buy the 2500K. So, instead I buy the 2400 and save some bucks (maybe around Rs. 1,500, I don't know about the price).
So my question is, is my logic correct or is it flawed?

Thanks

Best Gaming CPUs For The Money: January 2011 : January Updates

Last edited:

Ishu Gupta

Manchester United
You don't really need high end cooling to overclock. You can get a decent OC on the stock cooler.

I don't know the price of 2500K but 2400 will save you 5k on the mobo.

abirthedevil

In the zone
yeah if you dont intend to OC 2400 is the way to go and you also save on motherboard h67's start at a lot less than p67's

OP
V

Varunnagwekar

Semi-Geek
Could you guys please give me list of good mobos in the range of 5-10k? Maybe a link where all these mobos are compared.
I would like the compare the mobos and buy the one that suits me the most.

OP
V

Varunnagwekar

Semi-Geek
P8H67-M EVO – Rs. 8500/- (excluding taxes)
P8H67-M PRO – Rs. 7800/- (excluding taxes)
P8H67-V – Rs. 7400/- (excluding taxes)
P8P67 Deluxe – Rs. 11850/- (excluding taxes)
P8P67 – Rs. 10400/- (excluding taxes)
P8P67 Pro – Rs. 11500/- (excluding taxes)
Sabertooth P67 - Rs. 12500/- (excluding taxes)

Wow, found some more processors, and some are a bit above 10k. Just in your opinion, what do you think is the best mobo, price to performance wise. I mean, I am willing to invest in the 10-11k mobos if they are worth it.

Thanks.

Darn it, I tried to get some info about these motherboards, but don't seem to find good comparisons for them. And the reviews are a bit too high level (and boring) for me to read.
Can someone please suggest me a good one from the list above?

Finally, I've just read something about Corsair Vengeance rams. Should I get these? Don't have an idea about these either. I'll like to get around 4 gb.

Thanks

Last edited:

Jerin

Journeyman
Varun

Surely i5 2500k is far better than i5 2400, because

It has HD 3000 on die GPU
It has shown better performance.
It is almost equal to 2600K , only thing it lacks is HT

Ishu Gupta

Manchester United
Intel 2400 @ 9.5k