Is der anyway to kill a process at startup??..

Status
Not open for further replies.

roonie

Journeyman
Whenever i start the system..."Winhelp.exe" runs at the startup...And everytime i have to kill the process bec it is utilizing 50% of the cpu usage even though i dont feel any diff bec am using core 2 duo ,it is also utilizing my 50% of the net bandwidth...Is der anyway to stop the process from starting?..plz help me out..I tried in msconfig-startup , der is no process named winhelp.exe..Plz any suggestions?...thank you

debsuvra

is NOT a PC/Mac
At first check the Winhelp.exe file's location. If u are using XP then it will be on C:/Windows or C:/winnt folder. If the automatically starting file on your PC resides on any other folder than the said 2 like in C:/Windows/System32 then you are most probably infected with LOVGATE worm. U have to remove it then using ur AV software.

BTW I do not think there is a service associated with winhelp.exe and in your case most probably it is the virus.

chesss

mera kutch nahi ho sakta
Also get windows defender, to control which processes r running startup programs etc.

debsuvra

is NOT a PC/Mac
Windows Defender may detect the worm but I am not sure. U can also check with Microsoft Malicious Software Removal Tool.

dheeraj_kumar

Legen-wait for it-dary!
Get NOD32 and run a full PC scan. It can protect your comp from virii and stuff. ZoneAlarm can control your network connections, its a firewall. Finally, Ad-Aware is very good for monitoring adware.

Hrithan2020

In the zone
This is what I do:
For eg if i want to kill process ctfmon,i make a .bat file with content:
Taskkill /im ctfmon.exe /f
(I faintly remember having seen this trick in the prev digit magazine).

Then,in control panel -> Scheduled tasks ->Add scheduled task -> Next ->Browse and open the .bat file u've created,then next.then under do this task,select everytime i log on.

Sorry,if u know already.

debsuvra

is NOT a PC/Mac
This may kill the culprit process but if that is happening for a worm or virus then it is better to remove the virus. :D

OP
R

roonie

Journeyman
OOpps tat is a virus for sure i think...coz i renamed it to "Winhelp.vexe"..In front of my eyes another file appeared with the name "Winhelp.exe" and deleted the file and saw the same happened...I have NOD32 and zonealarm firewall with antivirus and antispware..I scanned the file and also had run a full system scan with both antivirus it dint detect as a virus at all....And also checked it using Tune up utilities startup manager ,der is no such named winhelp.exe...Please any other suggestions/??...The process is reciding in c:\windows

And also for killing the process using tat bat method am not able to schedule it..some error is coming..

Last edited:

dOm1naTOr

Wise Old Owl
Install Kaspersky antivirus, or boot from and linux live CD and delete that files from all drives, and windows/system 32 folder also.

OP
R

roonie

Journeyman
ty guys...the solo antivirus detected the virus and deleted it...After tat my computer dint boot at all..so i need to format only...no option was der...and also safe mode dint work in it...so had to format..Anway aftr formatting i installed avast and cleaned everythin it removed perfectly...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom