iPhone- Shopping, Shipping, Free apps ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PraKs

Youngling
Hello all,

I am quite fascinated by this gadget, though it does not allow few features like copy+paste, MMS forward etc, but its most awesome looking thing when in hand.

I am opening this thread to share all information with other members about Shopping, Shipping, JailBreak of iphone. Please share your views.

Shopping & Shipping: It's of no use purchasing it from Vodaphone/Airtel in INdia as they costs bomb.

Which is the best method to purchase iPhone 3G (8GB/16GB) ? Is it good to ask someone coming from US to bring one ? There are so many people posting in different forums/sites about shipping it to India, How reliable are they ? How much one should pay for a used 8GB/16 GB 3G model ?

Making it work in India: Other name of this is jailbreaking, People who already own it in India please do share which is a successful method to make it work with Indian cell providers.

Free Apps: I am not sure if iPhone OS supports Jar/sis files. Please share good sites which provides good iPhone apps for FREE.

Anyone owns iMedia ifone which sells for 8000 Rs via Times of India offers ? any comments on that.

Please share tips & tricks, Good sites which gives info on iPhone, if you are planning to purchase / already purchased. if you cant post on site, you can PM me.

max_demon

IM AS MAD AS HELL!!
illigal
-----------------------------------------
Posted again:
APP STORE , APP STORE, APP STORE, is the answer

Last edited:

pickster

Professional Layabout.
unlocking is not the same as jailbreaking.
what you need is an unlocked iphone. not a jail broken one.

free apps are available via cydia / installer. which can be accessed after jailbreaking.

you are interested in iMeida phone? you'll be better off without one.

Last edited:
OP
P

PraKs

Youngling
max_demon

I am not sure when I click Post quick reply nothing happens & I click again. Thats reason double post. Sorry about that. Happens only with TD forums

pickster
I am complete newbie, please tell me difference b/w jailbreaking & unlocking

max_demon

IM AS MAD AS HELL!!
unlocking : useing sim card other than the supplied ( or locked i.e vodafone or airtel )

jailbreaking : running homebrew codes to enhance functionality , ( like recording video in iphone ) also jailbreaking opens door to run non apple certified applications . there are many many useful applications

App store : it has mannnyyy free applications , u will never get bored . some good apps cost as low as 99 cents . where as some apps cost more than the iphone itself .
Posted again:
Which is the best method to purchase iPhone 3G (8GB/16GB) ? Is it good to ask someone coming from US to bring one ? There are so many people posting in different forums/sites about shipping it to India, How reliable are they ? How much one should pay for a used 8GB/16 GB 3G model ?

I think buying from india is better idea because if we purchase from us they sell with AT&T contract , and unlocked phone costs same as indian ones . i dont know which websites ship without contract at low cost

Making it work in India: Other name of this is jailbreaking, People who already own it in India please do share which is a successful method to make it work with Indian cell providers.
if u get locked iphone anyhow , u will surly able to unlock that i can say , cant discuss much as forums rules ( u know )

Free Apps: I am not sure if iPhone OS supports Jar/sis files. Please share good sites which provides good iPhone apps for FREE.
u will not feel lack of applications . there are plenty in App Store (legally)

Anyone owns iMedia ifone which sells for 8000 Rs via Times of India offers ? any comments on that.
Seriously ? are u kidding , that sounds like el chepo chinese phone

Please share tips & tricks, Good sites which gives info on iPhone, if you are planning to purchase / already purchased. if you cant post on site, you can PM me.

google is your friends

Last edited:
OP
P

PraKs

Youngling
Thanks a lot max_demon

buying from india is better - but I cant think of spending 30-36k :( Dont have that much of money.I am sure many owners of iPhone in this
forum might have got for less then 20k. Would be glad if someone can tell me from where to get it.

Google will be best friend for all "BREAK" stuff so no more discussion here :)

Ehh, Indiatimes gives big advt about iMedia ifone, Photo looks very similar to iPhone, but have no idea what the thing really is as I cant see demo

One more thing, I came through few guys, his name shows "Stephen Gred" & Few others like cellinkshopping** AT gmail.com & tradeshopping**** AT yahoo.com. (not giving full mail ID) they claim to ship to India Original iPhone 8GB (3G) at 250 USD with shipping. Any idea on how trustworthy they are ?

manmrman

Right off the assembly line
Why don't you try the iphone store online?*eeebay.info/image/cf9b2d0406020c56599f9a93708832b5.jpg

pickster

Professional Layabout.
@PraKs
those $250 iphones are definitely spam.

to get it for less than 20k, try getting hold of a second hand iPhone first gen / second gen (3G).
if not from here, you can try getting second hand models from US. i have seen some pretty sweet deals on craigslist.com

and that iMedia phone is a cheap a$$ chinese phone which TOI, etc advertise to prey on consumers ignorance. don't even touch them with a ten feet long pole.

BTW, copy / paste will be available with OS 3.0 and so will MMS and SMS forwarding.

@manmrman
what do you mean iphone online store?

max_demon

IM AS MAD AS HELL!!
@PraKs
those $250 iphones are definitely spam.

One more thing, I came through few guys, his name shows "Stephen Gred" & Few others like cellinkshopping** AT gmail.com & tradeshopping**** AT yahoo.com. (not giving full mail ID) they claim to ship to India Original iPhone 8GB (3G) at 250 USD with shipping. Any idea on how trustworthy they are ?

THese are SPAM as well as SCAM too i just emailed to send me their web side and i recieved a defenitely scam message like some nigeriens which confirmed it .

I am quoting email which i got .

[FONT=courier, monaco, monospace, sans-serif]Hello max,[/FONT]

[FONT=courier, monaco, monospace, sans-serif]Thanks for your enquiries,

We still have this Model of cameras in store for sale. This are brand new camera sealed in manufacturer box with complete accessories and we are given it out with 1year international warranty.

Shipment is via FedEx to your location this is 48hrs shipment and that is 2days delivery and it is a home delivery to your door step.(dubai)

The shipping charges will be included with the price.and payment is guarantee via Western union money transfer for units sales and bank to bank wire transfer for bulk order.

Has soon as your payment is being confirmed your package will be shipped out immediately and i will get back to you with the Tracking number of your order for you to confirm your order online and to know the destination of your package.

If you purchase up to 3units of the camera then you will be having a free unit of Xbox 360 game included with your cameras.

So what your quantity on this camera for the first time,an here is our price list,Get back to us and lets us have your order list so we can give you the last sellin price.
[/FONT]

[FONT=courier, monaco, monospace, sans-serif]CAMERAS[/FONT]
[FONT=courier, monaco, monospace, sans-serif]Brand New Nikon D700
Brand New Nikon D40
Brand New Nikon D40x
Brand New Nikon D60
Brand New Nikon D80
Brand New Nikon D90
Brand New Nikon D200
Brand New Nikon D300
Brand New Nikon D3
Brand New Nikon D3X DSLR

Brand New Canon 1000D
Brand New Canon XH A1
Brand New Canon 40D
Brand New Canon 400D
Brand New Canon 50D
Brand New Canon 450D

DIGITAL CAMERA
CANON EOS-1D Mark II-N 8 Megapixel Digital
Canon EOS-5D Digital , 12.8 Megapixels
Canon XH A1 1.67MP 3CCD Camcorder with 20x Optical Zoom
Canon XL2 3CCD MiniDV Camcorder w/20x Optical Zoom
Canon XL1 Digital Camcorder Kit
Canon EOS 1D Mark II N 8.2MP Digital SLR Camera
Canon Camera Kit 1234B002
Canon EOS 30D Digital SLR Camera & Canon
[/FONT]

[FONT=courier, monaco, monospace, sans-serif]Regards
[/FONT]

wtf , they dont have a web site and accepts western union :?

OP
P

PraKs

Youngling
Yes,

Very much its scam, atleast you have got in proper english, Mail what I have got claims 100 % "dilivary" with lots of spelling mistakes.

Still 250 $ tag was something which I was attracted. Thank you so much pickster & Max for highlighting it.

There will be so many people taking from Times of India seeing look a like as cheap as 8000 Rs.. Will stay away from it.

If someone is coming from USA. which is best method there to purchase as it comes with AT & T contract ?

max_demon

IM AS MAD AS HELL!!
^i think apple officialy sells unlocked iphones for 799$ ? and with at&t contract it would be hard to buy

pickster

Professional Layabout.
$799 is for 16 gb. 8 gb goes for something like $599. just google it man.
the other way, like i mentioned earlier too, is to buy a second hand phone. many are in min conditions and most without the contract. check out craigslist.com
never buy from ebay. horribly overpriced.

OP
P

PraKs

Youngling
Thanks pickster

I came to know about these "Stephen Gred" & Few others like cellinkshopping** AT gmail.com & tradeshopping**** AT yahoo.com.

from Craiglist only :(

pickster

Professional Layabout.
yeah there are a lot of scam postings there too.
search for posts with images and then check if the images are captured by the seller or just generic photos which are spread one can find easily over the net. that will help you sort through the thousands of postings.

OP
P

PraKs

Youngling
Thanks buddy

Let me know if anyone is planning to sale used iPhone. Hope after OS 3.0 comes older phones may go cheap.

Is BSNL Planning for bulk buy & offer for 15k ? Just fake news ?

Tanmay Satpathy

Sing Along Samsung
Well, in my opinion the best way to get a iPhone is to get one from AirTel. This will ensure the warranty of your iPhone.

If you want a refurbished one, Look for one in your local market. If you are lucky enough, you will get one. However I doubt the price will go below 20 k.

For free apps, you have the app store with around 30000 apps at your service.

One thing I ensure, you will never got bored of this gadget.
Posted again:
Last but not the least, dont go for the scams floating in google and yahoo. A friend of mine lost a few thousand bucks a year back for a iPhone 2g.

Last edited:
OP
P

PraKs

Youngling
Tanmay

thanks for the info buddy.

Thanks to my Digit friends who have already warned about such SCAMS.

Damn, I was so much lured by those people offering just for 15000 Rs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom