• Ipad Mini

Votes: 6 31.6%
  • Nexus 7

Votes: 13 68.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Krow

Crowman
Games aside what about productivity apps? Not sure about iOS but Android does have a lot of free productivity and utility apps.

But still no true multitasking.. You can't even use your note taking app side by side your browser/office application on a 9.7" tablet, when the hardware is completely capable of doing it.. That was just an example iOS misses out on a lot of other stuff..

This whole concept of using free apps is flawed. The apps are not free. You do realise that they are free with advertisements, right? Also, these ads keep popping up all the time, which wastes your time, data and battery. If you really want an app, best to pay for it.

I don't see iPad users complaining about multi-tasking features. It may be useful for some, but by and large the UI is such that it has been rendered irrelevant. For the record, even Android doesn't have "true multi-tasking". Multi-Window is there in Samsung TouchWiz (one of the worst UIs out there) and Windows 8 supports it too. Not sure why people compare desktop usage to mobile/tablet usage. As for your example, if you need a note-taking app while using your office app, there is something wrong with the office app. MS Office has One Note built-in and most office clients come with an equivalent app. These days, Evernote has become the de facto productivity app for many and not everyone feels the need to use a proper office app anyway. It works in your browser too and you can clip stuff to Evernote without leaving the browser window.

Those bashing iTunes should try using it. iTunes 11 is pretty simple and the store integration is lag-free. It works well on my two-year-old HP dm1z netbook. Why the hell are people still complaining about file transfer? It's simple on iTunes and most people use Dropbox/Gmail for sending files anyway. I don't even remember the last time I plugged in my Android phone to the laptop. It's redundant and at-most a one-time use action.

Forum members are overly biased towards Android. The OS is far from mature in the tablet segment.

Apple really needs to include Bluetooth file transfer, file explorer and drag & drop so that a person may share his own clicked photos to others easliy.

You still use Bluetooth to share files? Unless you have a really old phone, I don't see why it is needed. I only use Bluetooth for pairing with speakers on my two-year-old Android phone. Why not try sharing via Dropbox or iCloud or Facebook or Flickr?

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
^or whatsapp or twitter

Actually agree to the itunes point, its pretty bad, but since 5.x these devices can be used untethered.

Multi-tasking, you can constantly task without having to close or manage apps and the device slowing down

techno_chrat

Broken In
You should definitely opt for the iPad mini. Although the UI is not as appealing as a droid you can always jail break and get a couple of tweaks from cydia, install winter board and make your own custom theme. Cydia will let you modify each part of the UI separately not to mention a lot tweaks and apps on cydia are also free and for general purpose. There is a Bluetooth app limited to pre A5 devices, hopefully there will be an update.This undoubtedly gives an edge over the droid system app market. I think untethered JB for a new iOS version not possible right now; but eventually there is always a release. The app store on the other hand has a lot of free apps too which are user designed and specific. Then there is podcasts, *news stand, *iBooks and genius. From gaming perspective it's the best that is there. Some graphic intense games infinity blade II, modern warfare, dead space and FIFA 13 will get you hooked. The iOS is much stable, sturdy, less prone to malware in case for office use and versatile if you JB it. I have been dual booting my iPhone with android 2.2.1 froyo and seems to be working fine. The hardware and software are balanced in an apple system, the only downside being expensive for the hardware it's offering as compared to an android. Hope this helps you.
PS: In case you go for the iPad mini opt for the 4g model because people regret on later.

Last edited:

vyral_143

Constructed New Rig..!!
One must be clear about his/her usage and needs when buying anything. In the world there always going to be X device which is not having feature of Y device. But you yourself are best judge if you need that feature. If one device can do things which you want then there is no other better device around then that.
Putting it in more simple. Answer few questions to your heart/mind.
Is xyz app which I need is running flawlessly on this device ?
abc app does not run on this device but do I need it ?

For me getting an iPad Mini makes more sense. Better optimized apps in iOS - Temple Run 2 still runs good in my iPad 1 with just 256MB RAM. Longer support - iPhone 3GS - launched with iOS 3 and gets iOS 6.

P.S. - no fanboy of either camp but bit annoyed with Android OS update thinggy.

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
You still use Bluetooth to share files? Unless you have a really old phone, I don't see why it is needed. I only use Bluetooth for pairing with speakers on my two-year-old Android phone. Why not try sharing via Dropbox or iCloud or Facebook or Flickr?

1 & 2. Yes, read my sig. :deadbored:
3. So, here's the thing. you click a photo (or say have any file) and then your friend who is standing besides you wants it (the friend has no internet access at that time). What do you do? Upload it with high data rates or share it over bluetooth free of cost?

file sharing/transfer easy hona chahiye,
'i' (as in the crapple ipad) to $hit me bhi hota hai :p

Last edited:

Krow

Crowman
1 & 2. Yes, read my sig. :deadbored:
3. So, here's the thing. you click a photo (or say have any file) and then your friend who is standing besides you wants it (the friend has no internet access at that time). What do you do? Upload it with high data rates or share it over bluetooth free of cost?

I'm almost always on Tapatalk so can't read your signature. Regarding the rest... I suppose you should ask your friends to stop living in the stone age. Data rates are really low now for 2G. Your arguments would have sounded relevant in 2007 but the world has changed ever since. Photos are backed up instantly and automatically on Dropbox/G+/FB and anyone can easily view. Good luck transferring files on your high-speed Bluetooth connection. :p

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
Make the friend click a photo while showing the photo on your screen
If its so imp, there are apps just for that

Dont ignore production run periods, product life cycles, as well as update life cycle.

So, here's the thing. you click a photo (or say have any file) and then your friend who is standing besides you wants it (the friend has no internet access at that time). What do you do? Upload it with high data rates or share it over bluetooth free of cost?

+1 to that......2G rates have increased 6 months ago(for AirTel n Vodaphones users).
Moreover, if u have taken some video, 10MB+ , bluetooth is a sensible free option. NFC is not popular yet. So, having a BT3.0+ is a good option. No BT file transfer was one of the main reasons for Nokia's downfall with WP7.5(Even Symbian OS had that)

dude1

Journeyman
Well N7 stands the undisputed winner here...everything about the hardware is better. the only benefit of ipad mini is ios. for now at least. N7 will continue to get updates from google which are very fast(the rate at which android is improving it will catch up with ios soon), believe me i own one. Also if you love games hardware should be your first pref And the THD games look absolutely gorgeous on N7..(plus i dont know for sure but i've heard after release of nvidia project shield, that has tegra 4 soc, Nvidia is aiming to create a large exclusive collection of games for tegra devices...if so, that would be a boon for N7 users)

+1 to that......2G rates have increased 6 months ago(for AirTel n Vodaphones users).
Moreover, if u have taken some video, 10MB+ , bluetooth is a sensible free option. NFC is not popular yet. So, having a BT3.0+ is a good option. No BT file transfer was one of the main reasons for Nokia's downfall with WP7.5(Even Symbian OS had that)

+1 .... also it is not like N7 has no 3g accesss... It has that PLUS it has high speed bluetooth....so if u want to use dropbox/fb/whatsapp use 3g/2g and for close connection use BT ..simple :) (i really think sending a close by person files over internet is inefficient upload and download..pfff)

Krow

Crowman
I haven't used Bluetooth to send files more than thrice in two years. Drag and drop is easier, yes, but iTunes is not that complicated. These days you can buy all sorts of content on iTunes, so easier to manage music and movies too. I have a friend who has never connected iPhone to laptop for iTunes.

You don't understand that usage patterns are changing drastically. Even if we consider those two "shortcomings" you're stuck at, neither is a deal-breaker at all.

Top Bottom