IPAD 4th Generation or Nexus 10 ???

ssj4karan

Journeyman
Hi Guys,

I own a Samsung Galaxy S3 and am planning to buy a tablet (Wifi only).

The main uses of the tablet are going to be:

1. Watching HD Movies
2. Watching TV Shows
3. Playing HD Games
4. Browsing the web and streaming online videos.

While watching movies, TV shows or streaming videos, i want the tablet to be at full screen (Without the black bars) - This is very important for me.

So considering all this, i have narrowed down between the Apple Ipad 4 (I have never used a apple product before :razz:) and the Samsung Google Nexus 10 tablet.
Which one you recommend that i get?

Thanks in advance!!!

theserpent

Firecracker to the moon
Nexus 10, i have it and it's awesome
Cons:
Slow charging
Not So many Apps
No warranty for India

1. Watching HD Movies-Nexus 10 can play more formats than Ipad
2. Watching TV Shows
3. Playing HD Games-HD Games, Ipad wins
4. Browsing the web and streaming online videos-Tie

OP
S

ssj4karan

Journeyman
The tablet should be able to play file formats like mkv,mp4, avi without the default file needing any conversion (Just download the file on pc, loading it on the tablet from my PC and watching it). Is this possible on the Ipad?

I also heard the ipad suffers with the black bars issue. So how is this solved?
Is the black bar issue also present on the Nexus 10?

ithehappy

Human Spambot
No, you won't be able to play mkv outta box on iPad. There are applications to support them however. I don't know about the other issue.
Nexus can never compete with iPad, so it's pretty easy to decide which one you should get.

smashingdude

~~Dragon Ball~~
Also keep in mind that nexus 10 has a 16:9 aspect ratio whereas iPad 4 has 4:3. So, no black bars on nexus 10.
But then, the ipad has a much better gpu. Really tough one, go with your gut feeling, there won't be a clear winner.
You couldn't go wrong with any.

cacklebolt

Ambassador of Buzz
+1 Nexus 10. AFAIK its screen is alone worth the price. Also it has the latest Cortex A15 cpu inside.

ujjwal321

Journeyman
If money is not the deciding factor then go with iPad.. the sheer number of apps, great battery life and top notch performance is enough to recommend it over nexus 10.. while the nexus is no slouch,*as with other android devices, it starts lagging as you install more application on it..

OP
S

ssj4karan

Journeyman
Well i dont mind purchasing apps for playing Mkv file on the ipad as long as it plays the raw file without any sort of conversion.
As i have never used an apple product before, I want to know how easy or difficult is to transfer files from the pc to the ipad via. itunes?
I am only used to just copying and pasting stuff ;)

Also due to the 4:3 aspect ratio of the Ipad, I had read that the Ipad would have big black bars both above and below the picture, which is an absolute no no.
The purpose of having a beautiful screen is to fill it up completely. So can someone confirm on this?

Is there any media player app available for the Ipad which has the option of changing aspect ratio?
Cause i feel, that will help in taking care of the black bar issue.

Currently i am leaning towards the ipad.
Just need clarification on these 2 points and that should clear things up.

Thanks !!!

Nerevarine

Incarnate
+1 to Nexus 10 from my side, if you like customizing your experience.. There should be tonnes of mods/roms/hacks etc for the device on xda as opposed to Ipad 4 but then again ipad doesnt need any mods to be any faster ;)
Its your choice really

Since you already own a Galaxy S3, getting a Nexus 10 seems a viable option as there are many android to android specific apps for syncing and stuff like that

OP
S

ssj4karan

Journeyman
After doing a lot of research and watching numerous video's on youtube,
I have gone for an IPad 4 :)
Have placed my order on flipkart. Waiting for it to come now.

abhi12

Right off the assembly line
Congrats....
Now go and buy or download the following apps

1. Splashtop
2. Goodreader
3. iZip
4. Paper
5. Speed U

Goodreader is a great reader but you can easily use this app to transfer file with you PC via wifi and open it in any app.
Splashtop is the best Remote Desktop app period. Use it.

OP
S

ssj4karan

Journeyman
Congrats....
Now go and buy or download the following apps

1. Splashtop
2. Goodreader
3. iZip
4. Paper
5. Speed U

Goodreader is a great reader but you can easily use this app to transfer file with you PC via wifi and open it in any app.
Splashtop is the best Remote Desktop app period. Use it.

Thanks for the suggestions bro :)

I have a question about Goodreader. Could you elaborate on "open it in any app"?

Last edited:
Top Bottom