IP Address setting woes

Status
Not open for further replies.

joeykj

Right off the assembly line
I use my laptop from both my home and workplace. I use networking at both home and work and finds it a pain to keep changing my IP address settings every time I log on for the first time at either place.

Surely there may be better way to simplify this.

Somebody HELP !! Thanks in advance :)

digen

Youngling
If you could shed some light on the operating systems that you are using then it would be much better.

If you have one win2k machine at both home & work then you can set it as a DHCP server which will automatically give all the machines on the LAN IP addresses depending upon how you have configured it.

The next step would be to set the DHCP clients,on the laptop machine you can enable[it should be enabled by default] "Obtain a IP address automatically" from the TCP/IP settings.

OP
J

joeykj

Right off the assembly line
OOps !! Sorry about that !!
I use Windows XP SP2 for my laptop. Are there any change in the settings still ??

Thanks again in advance !! :D

alib_i

Cyborg Agent
yes .. if u put it in "Obtain a IP address automatically" mode then XP will detect the Network Automatically.

-----
alibi

AlienTech

In the zone
With winxp you can setup hardware profiles from computer panel and tell it that it is a portable and you select which profile you want to use during boot. Its in system properties->hardware->hardware profiles. I think if you enter for a docked and undocked profiles with different IP's it should work.

digen

Youngling
With winxp you can setup hardware profiles from computer panel and tell it that it is a portable and you select which profile you want to use during boot. Its in system properties->hardware->hardware profiles. I think if you enter for a docked and undocked profiles with different IP's it should work.
Rotfl what are you talking about dude? :idea:

icecoolz

Cyborg Agent
AlienTech said:

wtf ???!! What are you talkin about ? docking and undockin ?!!! :shock: :shock:

Dude... just follow what alib_i said. If you have DNS a server then a IP will be assigned to you automatically.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom