Internet Security

Status
Not open for further replies.

naveenpoddar

Journeyman
I am currenty using avast 4.6 antivirus , Zonealarm FW & Spybot S&D.

Recently i found Norton Internet Security bundled with my Msi RS480.
I came to know that NIS includes Norton Antivirus, a firewall and antispam s/w.

Thus i will like to know whether installing only NIS wud prove to be more efficient than my current installed programs both in terms of security and usage of resource (ram).

My current rig. is AMD 64 3000(939). MSI RS480, Zion 512 DDR Ram (64 mb shared) 80 GB Seagate HDD with WinXP SP2 installed on it.

mohit

The Hardware Labs
norton is bloatware and it hogs hell lot of your systems resources. the norton firewall is also buggy. i suggest u keep away from norton or just use the norton antivirus 2005 n nuthing else. it has a good detection rate.

:arrow: for firewall zonealarm is the best.

:arrow: i dont think avast is a very good solution though the best part it is freeware. you cannot get any real good freeware a/v . though avg,avast etc are decent. for paid a/v go for kaspersky.

:arrow: for spyware the more you have the better ... ms antispyware is good and so is spybot.

:arrow: also dont forget to get adaware for adware.

all these combined shud offer pretty good protection. and remember dont install n number of programs to keep your comp safe. it will only make a mess and your comp will become real slow. go for 1 from each category i.e a/v,firewall.adware.spyware.

:idea: and one final advice wait for swatkat to reply to your topic and pay HEED to his advice as he is a brainiac in these kinda matters.

escape7

What? Where? How?
Use Norton Antivirus, with Zone Alarm & MS Antispyware. (my config. & very effective), also have something for adwares. U'll find some more here : *www.snapfiles.com/freeware/freeware.html

swatkat

Technomancer
naveenpoddar said:
I am currenty using avast 4.6 antivirus , Zonealarm FW & Spybot S&D.

Recently i found Norton Internet Security bundled with my Msi RS480.
I came to know that NIS includes Norton Antivirus, a firewall and antispam s/w.

Thus i will like to know whether installing only NIS wud prove to be more efficient than my current installed programs both in terms of security and usage of resource (ram).

My current rig. is AMD 64 3000(939). MSI RS480, Zion 512 DDR Ram (64 mb shared) 80 GB Seagate HDD with WinXP SP2 installed on it.
Hi,
Your set-up is now alright.
Even though Norton AntiVirus is a good one, it is system heavy, and also has those irritating subscription issues for updates. Avast is good at blocking worms, viruses etc. and you will have free updates.
For firewall, ZoneAlarm is better than the NIS.
You can install some freeware tools like Ewido AntiTrojan tool, AdAware, SpywareBlaster etc.
You can refer this thread for more freewares.
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=17100

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom