Internal HDD or an External one ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner
Guys,

I hv been planning to buy a HDD for my PC as my prev. Internal HDD ( a Seagate 160 GB SATA ) is out of space :D

But, I wana knw :

1.) If I get an Internal HDD and If i install another OS on the 2nd HDD (so as to hv a dual boot option), will all the partitions stil be visible and accessible (of the 2nd HDD) if I boot from the 1st HDD's OS ?? ( the 1st hdd as MASTER and the 2nd as SLAVE)

2.) If I get a External HDD, can i install OS on it and jus boot from it and use it (wen the internal HDD is not connected), will this hv any performance degradation (using it via a USB cable) as in playing games or accessing movies ??

Cheers n e-peace...

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
At any given time, you can see boot options of one HDD . You need to set the HDD to be the boot devide in BIOS and yes all the partitions will be visible and accessible.

There are few linux OS'es that boot through USB. Better get internal HDD. You now get 500gig HDD for 4k. Get techcom external casing along with it for some 500 bucks and use according to your needs.

OP
ashu888ashu888

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner
Ok, so that means an external HDD will mainly work as a big PENDRIVE ?? isint it ?? IF i store games on it and then connect it to my PC (along with the primary internal HDD acting as MASTER) using a USB cable,

will i be able to play games stored on the Ext. HDD ?? connected this way ??

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
You should be able to install apps/games to this drive. To test it out, if you have a pen drive, install some tiny software and see if that works every time you reconnect the pendrive. If that works, games should also work but they will be slower on USB drive.

OP
ashu888ashu888

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner
^^

I see...

so that means..the Ext HDD is jus for storage purpose, and wenever i want to see any movie or any games.i will hv to transfer it to the master HDD (as the speed will be slower if i intend to play it from the ext HDD) .. isint it ??

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
^^ Hmm. I told to test if you are able to install apps on it. If installing apps works, there is no need to just use it as storage and no need to move the app to internal HDD.

Test it out.

Sandisk U3 allows you to install apps on pendrive

Last edited:

zorrotech2008

Broken In
Hey if u buy an internal HDD and use it with a casing as a big pen drive....... you surely will be able to install an OS
on it but d main problem being dat if u try to boot d OS dat is on ur Drive when u have connected via USB it will act as a bottle neck (480Mbps which is to slow)..hence ur OS will run very slowly ...nd it will aslo make all ur other programs work at snail s pace

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom