Interchanging Motherboards from different PCs

Status
Not open for further replies.

prateek

Broken In
Hey all
Actually I was thinking of interchanging two motherboards running in my two different PCs. Both got same "LGA 775" socket on them and DDR2 Ram socket as well on both.
I got a new GPU - HD 7750 but found that was incompatible with the MB (PCCHIPS P17G) on first PC. (on which i actually want to run it) So i was thinking to interchanging from my other PC (ASUS P5Kpl-AM) which is compatible to the GPU rather than getting a new MB for the first.
I would just be changing the MB; and the processor, RAM, HDD would be the same as they were on their respective PCs.
So just wanna confirm you would that be possible without any issue?
ALSO, is there any way that Windows on both the PCs don't get reset with the change of MB. As that would be a problem on the second PC. ~ This is the biggest issue which is bothering me. Any solution also for that ?

PS: First PC runs Windows 8.1 and the other one is running XP.

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
post your complete pc configuration(both pc). if you interchange mobo, you are likely to loose windows 8.1 licence. you may have to activate again by calling the customer care.

OP
P

prateek

Broken In
post your complete pc configuration(both pc). if you interchange mobo, you are likely to loose windows 8.1 licence. you may have to activate again by calling the customer care.

First PC:
Intel Pentium Dual Core E2140 @1.6 Ghz
PCCHIPS p17G board
SAMSUNG HD161HJ HDD SATA
WDC WD5000AADS-00S9B0 HDD SATA
2 x 1GB Ram @666 Mhz
Antec VP450P PSU

Of the second PC, i don't remember the exact models but yeah what I do remember now, is here:
Core 2 Duo @2.10 Ghz
Ram 2G (2Gb x 1)
320GB + 160 GB SATA HDD
ASUS P5KPL-AM IN board
The exact models i can tell you in the morning.

And for Windows 8.1, its the free Preview Version, doesn't matter for it i can re-install it. But just make sure that the XP remains as it is.

Last edited:

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
it's not guaranteed as which driver will conflict with which HW device you can't predict that but if a HW debice is not present OS just disables that driver module so you should be fine ... I've done this with XP 3-4 times but never had to re-install the OS.

OP
P

prateek

Broken In
Idea failed! Checked the board, and found that PCIex16 slot is not installed there just the pins are there but no slot to install the gpu card there :(

OP
P

prateek

Broken In
Now im again stuck with my graphic card with no other choice to keep it packed aside for a *big* while :/

shatarupa1

Broken In
Idea failed! Checked the board, and found that PCIex16 slot is not installed there just the pins are there but no slot to install the gpu card there :(

Even i was going through a couple of websites for the information and came through inputs from companies like Asus Biostar and Gigabyte on how this issue can be solved. Well from the standpoint of Biostar they believe that actually there are no issues but proper drives need to be installed.Also if installation of OS with New MOBO drivers is done this problem will be solved. If one is going for any testing then they have to install the same Operating system.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ok, recently added a HDD as boot drive on a pc with AMD cpu .. the same HDD was being used on a pc with Intel cpu [ gpu is the same for both ] and the good thing is a OS install / re-install was not required. So to summaries it for most people it should work .. if not try uninstalling VGA driver from safe mode and then try .. so far it worked OK always for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom