Intenet Connection Sharing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jitin

Broken In
I have a desktop PC which accesses internet through cable intenet connection using ethernet card.I have bought a new laptop I want to connect it to the desktop PC and at the same time I want to share the internet connection of the desktop PC. Can anyone please guide me on this

ravi_9793

TechTin.com
there r many ways to share connection....
first: connect both computer and laptop through lan and than share connection.

second: use a hub or switch to share connection.Using this u can share more than two system.

khansdream

Journeyman
Hey friend,
Just connect it by using a UTP cable, go to network neighbourhood and set the properties. Its not so tough. You can DIY.
Hope you will install the driver of NIC first.:rolleyes:

sonia18sagar

Right off the assembly line
I want to share the internet connection of the desktop PC. Can anyone please guide me on this.ok i m waiting 4 urs suggetions.

ravi_9793

TechTin.com
sonia18sagar said:
I want to share the internet connection of the desktop PC. Can anyone please guide me on this.ok i m waiting 4 urs suggetions.
you can easily share ur internet connection.Before that ....between how many system you want to share the connection ..and wht is ur internet connection.

If you want to share b/w 2 system..than U can do with/without the use of HUB/Switch.

ravi_9793

TechTin.com
pannaguma said:
What is the difference bn a hub and a switch? which is better? and what do they cost?
If you want to share internet..than for sure choose switch.If you want establish network only for sharing files/dats..than choose HUB.

However switch has many advantage over HUB. And there is not a big difference in price.Swich will cost U hardly 200-300/- rs. more than HUB.Hub will come around 500/- (8 ports,ethernet)

47shailesh

Security Exp
ravi_9793 said:
If you want to share internet..than for sure choose switch.If you want establish network only for sharing files/dats..than choose HUB.

However switch has many advantage over HUB. And there is not a big difference in price.Swich will cost U hardly 200-300/- rs. more than HUB.Hub will come around 500/- (8 ports,ethernet)
Small Correction Just Flip what you have said:
Use Of Switch Will not give any advantage while sharing Internet though it would be helpful when you want to share Files on two or more PC..

Switch Workds Full Duplex have Diffrent Collision Domain for each divces
Whereas HUB works on CDMA/CD.. (Leave it just for tech edge)

Use HUB if u whant to share only Internet Connection.. if Only on two m/c Connection is to be shared than use an Extra NIC on desktop and config it and share net connection.. But the Bandwidth will be Total/2.

And It's not always the case that Switch cost 200+ hub's cost. . It can be as costly as ur Dream PC could be :D

just check the price of:
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Catalyst Switch 2950 Series WS-C3750G-48PS-S
Catalyst Switch 2950 Series WS-C3750G-24PS-S

[/FONT]

ravi_9793

TechTin.com
^^^^^^^^^^^^^thanks @47salesh for correcting if I am wrong.

I gave him a general price for a general HUB and general switch.Plz dont make him confuse.U can find in market...a hub and swich of same number of ports will difference 200-300 rs.He is not going to buy a high end switch..but a general purpose switch.

I suggest hin HUb for simple file sharing...only because it is cheap.Yes U are write...switch is Duplex (so data can be trasfer from bith side at same time)...and HUB is halflex(data can be trasfer fron one side only at one time.)But it hardly matter for small home connection.

But for ur bandwidth sharing....I dont agree with you because..A hub shares the total bandwidth among all users, while a switch provides a dedicated line at full bandwidth between every two devices transmitting to each other.

plz read here with example and figrure:
*www.pcmag.com/encyclopedia_term/0,2542,t=switched+Ethernet&i=52318,00.asp

47shailesh

Security Exp
^^ again small correction..

Switch Does not divide n/w bandwitdh.. that means if nw compromises of PC having NIC capable of Pushig data @100mbps and PC are connected by Switch than data transfer will take ocur@100Mbps..

But in case if they are connected by HUB than data transfer will take ocur@10Mbps.. (Half Duplex nature)..

But that does'nt mean that if ur using switch and ur netconnection@256Kbps than each m/c(both on and accessing net) will have 256Kbps each.. they will have 128Kpbs each..

Irrespective what u use Hub/Switch..

You yourself think.. if only by using Switch we can get 256Kpbs on all the PC connecte to Switch than u can open ur own small net distributing agency..

ravi_9793

TechTin.com
47shailesh said:
^^ again small correction..

You yourself think.. if only by using Switch we can get 256Kpbs on all the PC connecte to Switch than u can open ur own small net distributing agency..
I am not saying this..but this is some network expert's view.See, in case of HUB ,bandwidth will be divided by no. of system.

But in case of switch not all the system will get 256 bandwidth ..but much better than HUB bandwidth.U cant get 256 Kbps speed..because nothing is 100% practical.And arguing with me will result nothing..better argue with the experts who gave this opinion.I think you havn't read the link I gave in my last post.

47shailesh

Security Exp
^^ Dude i m not arguing.. but telling you coz i was in this bussiness an year ago and for this i don't need to ask any expert words..
coz i have enough hands on it..

And... leave it....

ravi_9793

TechTin.com
47shailesh said:
^^ Dude i m not arguing.. but telling you coz i was in this bussiness an year ago and for this i don't need to ask any expert words..
coz i have enough hands on it..

And... leave it....
I think like this we cant end at a mutaul result.
Because,I have read this at different web page...and U have personally experienced.I read this topic very carefull sometime before while deciding between HUB n switch for my home connection.

So,lets end this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom