Intel Xeon vs i5 - for gaming PC

beingGamer

In the zone
Hi everyone, I read in some other thread, there is another CPU names Xeon and it is without integrated graphics.
and i5 has integrated graphics.
so if someone wants to build a gaming pc with a graphics card, i5's integrated graphics has no use at all?

I think i read it in show off thread, the guy said Xeon is like having i7 at the cost of i5 without integrated graphics.

so my question is that, is it really good to go for Xeon for a gaming pc if you are going to buy graphics card?
or it wont make any difference?

ankush28

Bazinga
Xeon is meant for workstation and servers...
No point in getting xeon for gaming pc:D

Yes i5's IGP has little to no use when running with graphics card...
1.It will work as backup GPU if your GFXCARD went kaput.
2. You can use igp with LucidLogix ;)

If you are buying gaming pc start new thread in pc configuration sub-forum. :)

Last edited:
Xeons perform very good and are available for cheap too. As rightly mentioned, its an i7 without IGP at i5's price.

Last edited:

bikramjitkar

In the zone
I'm the guy.

Yes, if you have a dedicated graphics card, don't overclock and don't need quick-sync, Xeon beats i5 hands down. :) Also consumes a little less power.

Last edited:
OP
beingGamer

beingGamer

In the zone
Get Xeon with Eyes closed :)

I am thinking, but bikramjitkar is the only person who i know has it for gaming :p, i searched a bit, and got to know that its mainly used for servers.
I wonder why no one suggests Xeon for builds anywhere in the forums :|

I am thinking, but bikramjitkar is the only person who i know has it for gaming :p, i searched a bit, and got to know that its mainly used for servers.

Xeons aren;t generally recommended for gaming because:

an i5 is sufficient for just gaming.
people generally do not need the extra processing power provided by a Xeon over i5.
Xeons aren't generally available in local market.

They are equally good for gaming and provide much more processing power than an equally priced i5.

bikramjitkar

In the zone

It's the best kept secret when it comes to CPUs. ;)

Xeons are server CPUs, but the E3 series are re-badged desktop parts with a few extra features such as support for ECC memory and are meant for low cost servers.

Availability is also a factor for them being uncommon as most local shops don't stock them. I had to order mine and wait for a couple of weeks for it to arrive.

Check out the reviews on Newegg: Intel Xeon E3-1230 V2 Ivy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo) 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1155 69W Quad-Core Server Processor BX80637E31230V2 - Newegg.com

icebags

Technomancer
^how long u been using this and how is ur exp so far ? runs all games without any issues ?

says its socket lga 1155, so it goes into any desktop lga 1155 no problem ?

:eek:

bikramjitkar

In the zone
^how long u been using this and how is ur exp so far ? runs all games without any issues ?

says its socket lga 1155, so it goes into any desktop lga 1155 no problem ?

:eek:

Been using it for around 8 months now. Stays very stable and cool even in the Kolkata heat :lol:.

I don't game much, but it pretty much destroys anything you throw at it.

Most LGA 1155 boards support it.

icebags

Technomancer
^ where did u source the proccy from ?

as per it depot price, its same category as i5 k series (~16k), the i5 are probably are better then xeon when overclocked as i read somewhere.

what u think ? i5 4670k vs E3 1230. both 16.5k.

Last edited:
^ where did u source the proccy from ?

as per it depot price, its same category as i5 k series (~16k), the i5 are probably are better then xeon when overclocked as i read somewhere.

what u think ? i5 4670k vs E3 1230. both 16.5k.

Yes, consumer i5s are better overclockers, but you will not need to overclock the Xeon because of it's stock performance :wink:

Top Bottom