Intel P D 930 v/s AMD 64 X2 3800+

Status
Not open for further replies.

iROCK

Right off the assembly line
After hearing many people's opinions abt these proc I am at crossroads here.
I want to buy a new PC but cant decide on either of these proc. I would like u guys to help me out based on these pros and cons

Intel P D 930:
+ Supports DDR2 memory
+ Mobos supp this proc supp also Intel P Extreme (Maybe Conroe)
+ From future upgradation point this seems like a good option (Need only increase RAM if required)
- Heat generation is a lot
- Performance not up to mark

AMD 64 X2 3800+:
+ Great Performance for price
+ Excellent overclocking abilities
+ Less heat generation
- Does not support DDR2 memory
- To upgrade in future have to replace proc, mobo and RAM(Socket 939)
- Socket AM2 is too costly

I am a avid gamer. Pls help me to decide. I want to use my PC atleast for another 4 - 5 years.

deathvirus_me

Wise Old Owl
Intel P D 930:
+ Supports DDR2 memory
+ Mobos supp this proc supp also Intel P Extreme (Maybe Conroe)
+ From future upgradation point this seems like a good option (Need only increase RAM if required)
- Heat generation is a lot
- Performance not up to mark

AMD 64 X2 3800+:
+ Great Performance for price
+ Excellent overclocking abilities
+ Less heat generation
- Does not support DDR2 memory
- To upgrade in future have to replace proc, mobo and RAM(Socket 939)
- Socket AM2 is too costly

Intel P D 930:
+ Supports DDR2 memory --------- which means higher latencies .. so the overall gain is almost negligible
+ Mobos supp this proc supp also Intel P Extreme (Maybe Conroe) -------- a big plus here , but then if u do intend to get conroe then why buy now ???
+ From future upgradation point this seems like a good option (Need only increase RAM if required) --------- this is a option in any mobo ...
- Heat generation is a lot --------- proper cooling easily solves it ...
- Performance not up to mark ------- in what ???

AMD 64 X2 3800+:
+ Great Performance for price --------- well the price part is not yet true ..
+ Excellent overclocking abilities -------- well infact the pentium will oc far more ... plus to oc the athlon's ull need real good ram
+ Less heat generation ---------- a big plus for this ....
- Does not support DDR2 memory ---------- like i said ... low latency ddr mem. will be far better ... and u can also fit in ddr667 modules (yes ddr667 .. infact the highest available ddr module is rated at ddr800)
- To upgrade in future have to replace proc, mobo and RAM(Socket 939) --------- well they have released FX 62 and X2 5000+ for the 939 skt. .. so upgrading won't be much of a problem ..
- Socket AM2 is too costly ---------- for now 939/940 should be enough ... then directly to AM3 or something ...

Now considering the price of the 930D ... i'd say go for that , and oc it from 3 to 3.6 .. so u'll have a 3.6 GHz dual core processor .. and trust me .. 3DMark06 will show .. it'll be much better than the 3800+ ... but finally its upon u to get what u wan't ....

Moreover ... i'd say a faster processor will definitely help in more intensive apps , including games with with a good physics engine .... so if u don't intend to get a physiz processor .. then u know what to do ..

Hope i was a help .. :p

drvarunmehta

Wise Old Owl
Go for the Pentium D 930. The heat dissipation isn't much as compared to the Pentium D 8xx series and the performance is far better. But don't count on being able to upgrade to Conroe. The only chipset that will run Conroe (confirmed) is the Intel 965.

OP
I

iROCK

Right off the assembly line
a big plus here , but then if u do intend to get conroe then why buy now ???
I have a very slow PC which cant even run Fear on the lowest settings even in a window.

like i said ... low latency ddr mem. will be far better ... and u can also fit in ddr667 modules (yes ddr667 .. infact the highest available ddr module is rated at ddr800)
I may sound ignorant of facts but i havent heard of DDR667 modules being available in India. Anyways I want 1 GB of memory to be later made to 2 GB.

I will be buying a XFX Geforce 7600GT XXX edition card. pls suggest a mobo which supports TRUE SLi (32x SLi, 16x Stand alone)

deathvirus_me

Wise Old Owl
Asus A8N32SLi ... lol. .

I may sound ignorant of facts but i havent heard of DDR667 modules being available in India. Anyways I want 1 GB of memory to be later made to 2 GB.

Well .. Kingston and OCz modules are available ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom