Intel Macs

Status
Not open for further replies.

abhi_shake

Broken In
Intel Macs

Yes you read that right.
Apple has taken out two new products called the Intel iMac (desktop) and the Macbook Pro (notebook).
Both of these would feature the new Intel core Duo processor at either 1.67 or 1.83GHz, 512MB - 2GB RAM, built-in iSight, FrontRow, FireWire 400, two USB 2.0 ports, ExpressCard/34, MagSafe power, 802.11g (AirPort Extreme), Bluetooth 2.0 EDR), gigabit Ethernet, backlit keyboard, Apple remote input, 15.4-inch 1440 x 900 display, ATI Mobility Radeon X1600 with either 128 or 256MB of RAM and dual-link DVI (for 30-inchers), an 80GB or 100GB drive, and dual-layer DVD burner. It'll cost $2,000 or $2,500 to start. It's an inch thick and it weighs 5.6 pounds.
It will feature Windows, although it will not support Windows Xp but Windows Vista.

This is due to the fact that the computers will boot using the Extensible Firmware Interface (EFI), rather than a traditional BIOS (current Power PC Macs use Open Firmware). EFI was developed by Intel and allows a number of advanced features, including the ability to connect to the Internet from a command shell before the OS is loaded. Since EFI was developed after the rollout of Windows XP, it's not supported by the current or earlier version of Windows (it is, however, supported by 64-bit versions but the newMacs run on 32-bit). However Windows Vista will support EFI.
This combination of Apple, Intel and Windows is what consumers have always dreamt about.

senthilrek

Broken In
Great news. But one thing before launching the products Apple should see their security on OS. Already windows is pirated like anything. I think so the same will happen to MAC OS on intel platform. What Say????

cryptid

Journeyman
adityaksharma said:
well....................................os x on intel rocks......

hv it on my pc [:p]

HOw did u do it and from where u got the OS cd???? was it a bootable cd just like Windows????i got a 915GAV mobo and a P4 3GHZ poc can i install OSX on my machine??

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
Quote:
News > Latest News
This forum is for members to share the latest technology news with others. Make sure to post the SOURCE at the beginning of every post.

Rules:Members are requested to share news that they read online or offline here. What’s most important is that the source for all news be mentioned at the beginning of a post.
Important: Members MUST provide a link to an article’s source, or provide details of the source (if taken from a newspaper or TV channel), for all content. Plagiarism is to be avoided at all costs.

@abhi_shake Please give the link to the original source when u post.

Gunner

Broken In
senthilrek said:
Great news. But one thing before launching the products Apple should see their security on OS. Already windows is pirated like anything. I think so the same will happen to MAC OS on intel platform. What Say????

Incase you did not notice, in the Feb 2006 edition of Digit, uner the topic "Windows on Apple Macs or MACos on PCs", it clearly states that Apple is trying to make the MAC OS unpiratable. No doubt that for now, experienced hackers can do good stuff to pirate them, but what happens to when Apple succeed ?

Nemesis

Wise Old Owl
@abhi_shake: Please post the source if this is not your original work. If claim it as your own work and someone finds that it isn't, then you could land yourself a Warning tag.

@senthilrek: Apple is using some hardware mechanism that will prevent Mac OS X from being installed on computers that are not Macs. So, unless some ingenious hacker/cracker can find a way to bypass this mechanism, you will not be able to install Mac OS X on any machine other than a Mac. What's more interesting though is whether or not you can install and use XP and/or Vista on the new Mactels. That way, Apple can lure gamers like me to get Macs - You can get the security and user-friendliness of a Mac as well as the ability to play all your games since you could boot into Windows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom