intel i7860 & intel i7930

savithk

Journeyman
i want to know what is the different between Intel® Core™ i7-860 Processor 2.8 GHz & Intel® Core™ i7-930 Processor 2.8 GHz

Intel® Core™ i7-860 Processor (8M Cache, 2.80 GHz)
Intel® Core? i7-860 Processor (8M Cache, 2.80 GHz) with SPEC Code(s) SLBJJ

Intel® Core™ i7-930 Processor (8M Cache, 2.80 GHz, 4.80
Intel® Core? i7-930 Processor (8M Cache, 2.80 GHz, 4.80 GT/s Intel® QPI) with SPEC Code(s) SLBKP

Cilus

laborare est orare
Core i7 860 and Core i7 920 are based on two different set of architectures (although both shares some common features and based on an architecture called Nahealem).
Core i7 920 is the big daddy and released earlier. These series of processors are termed as Intel Bloomfield. They are based on 45nm fabrication process, having Hyper threading enabled (So they can process 8 threads simultaneously), On-Die memory controller, hence removing the concept of FSB. They are compatible with Intel X58 chip-set based motherboards having 1366 pin LGA . They are having Tri-Channel memory controller and can able to access 3 memory modules simultaneously. As a result, they have a huge memory bandwidth, one of the reasons of its great performance.
Core i7 920, 930, 965 ar example of it.

Core i7 860, is on the other hand based on Intel lynnfield based micro-architecture. They are having LGA 1156 based connector and compatible with Intel P55 chip-set based motherboards.
Like their bigger brother, they also have On-Die memory controller and even having their PCI Express Graphics controller embedded in their CPU die. They support maximum of X16 bandwidth. As a result in single GPU performance they can perform better than Core i7 9XX series due to the removal of latency to access motherboard for PCI Express controller. However, they are having dual channel memory controller compared to the Triple Channel configuration of Bloomfield, but each of their memory controller are faster.
The 1st and the cheapest one from this series is Core i5 750. This one is not having Hyper Threading. However, Core i7 860 is having hyper threading enabled and that's why it is called Core i7 rather than Core i5

Cilus

laborare est orare
a gr8 explanation by cilus.
but you missed that i7 870 is compatible with H55/H57/Q57 chipsets also.

Nothing can get around you, Jas. You are simply a get reviewer.
However i didn't mention them knowingly as H55 chipsets are not designed for Lynnfield based processors which are fabricated in 45 nm process.They are designed for Intel's new generation 32 nm Clarkdale and Arrandale processors or the Nahealem architecture based Dual Core processors.

Top Bottom