Intel Cooling Problem ! !

Status
Not open for further replies.

kaps_2222

Right off the assembly line
I have recently upgraded my system , new config as follows
-Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor 630(Pinless , supporting Hyper-Threading Technology 90 nm, LGA775 2MB L2 800 MHz)
-Intel® Desktop Board D915GAV
-2*256MB(400MHz) DDR Transcend RAM
-IBall i531 Cabinet(with one 9cm Rear Cooling Fan, one front 8cm Cooling Fan, one extra fan placed at the outlet for chimney and 350 Watts ATX power supply)
-Samsung 80GB Sata(7200RPM)
-XFX Nvidia GeForce 6200TC PCI-e Graphic Card
-LG 17" Flatron Moniter
-IBall email Mouse
-IKey Multimedia Keyboard
-Asus Cd Rom 52X
-Sony Floppy Drive
-External Cable Modem
-HP 1510 All in One
-Digital UPS 650VA
No matter i am having in all 4 fans in my cabinet , when i start playing games like GTA - San Andreas-Full , F.E.A.R.-Demo , Call Of Duty 2 -Demo etc my system sometimes directly gets shutdown without any error or warning , after restart it shows me a over heat error . I have installed intel desktop moniter but sometimes of no while playing games .
Please recommend me a cooling solution or any further Hardware Upgrade needed such as Antec Cooling products or SMPS to keep my system cool also tell me why such problem occurs ??

Aniruddh

Ambassador of Buzz
1-Intel P4 is very much famous for its heating problem.

2-Go for either of these PSU- powersafe 400watt 1.4k.ANTEC,COOLERMASTER r de best wen comes to smps 400w around 3.5k if m not wrong.ANTEC,COOLERMASTER r really gud,they r expensive but worth it.

john_the_ultimate

No pain....No gain
I almost have same config. and play all games u mention without heating problem. Sometimes I play around for 3-4 hours at a strech where cpu tepm. goes upto 62C max. Check if thermal paste is applied properly and HSF is working properly.

I also have iBall Cabinet, with all the fans u have mentioned. I also have a fan (120mm) just above the cpu on the side panel.

As for PSU I use Powersafe 400W. I would suggest that u change the PSU (iBall) supplied with the cabinet as those are not good (practical experience).

mohit

The Hardware Labs
change your psu dude .. i am using almost the same config but with a pentium 4 520 and exactly the same cabinet but not facing any probs .. 350W Cheap Iball PSU just sux .. get an antec and dont buy coolermaster. I am on Antec and its awesome.

job9434

Broken In
thats why dude always prefer an AMD processor only !
it give more perfomance per watt and does'nt heats up .
AMD ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
I have a P4 520 presscot processor and a intel 915gav mobo. I dont know the make of my cabinet.I had heating problem for about 2 months when i bought it.My CPU temp used to shout up to 80 deg C. and used to get reset. now i keep my cabinet open, so that cool air can flow in..... and it works just fine :) no need of expensive cooling fans ;). And even after doing this the temp rises up! then i switch on my rooms fan :p .

Yes the cabinet looks akward, but i dont care for that. I regularly clean my cabinet with vacume cleaner.

choudang

Padawan
make some room in the cabinet for proper air flow. go for spacy cabinets rather then good looking. have a 400/450W PSU. PSU should not be situated over the Processor. regularly clean your proc. fan and cabinet with vacume cleaner. protect for dust ------------ obey this rules -- or open up one side of your cabinet.

praka123

left this forum longback
am having the same configrn brought on 12/10/2004 when that was the latest thing :shock:

got heating problem company changed the cabinet to thermally advantageous chassis.replaced processor :?
*www.intel.com/cd/channel/reseller/emea/eng/62086.htm
temp went around 47 degrees in idle to maximum 65c.checked for proper locking of processor-fan-heatsink and if u removed processor check for thermal
pad installed b/w processor and heatsink.it needs particular smps (i dont have it) rating 12V 18 W :roll: was not available as i searched...if u fit more fans u will get a burned smps...thinking about getting Arctic Silver 5 .

Intel was very shy in informing the new requirements on how to correctly integrate CPUs with Prescott core. People that buy the boxed processor get a brochure in several languages informing that you must visit *www.Intel.com/go/chassis to get all thermal specs demanded for the processor, and is also advised that in order to work correctly, the temperature inside the computer case shall not be over 100.4º F (38º C).

Source

yogi7272

Cyborg Agent
hi guys , prescott is not that bad in performance man .. but it should be cooled efficiently , for that first get a good psu .. like powersafe 400-450 maybe 500 w as per ur requirement . also a good cabinet is must , as it should have 2 80 mm or 1 120 mm front intake on lower side , and 2 80 mm or 1 120 mm back outlet at the upper back side around cpu area also intel recommends having a 80 or 120 mm fan on the side panel exactly above the cpu heatsink to allow direct fresh airflow on it .. also if possble make a hole in the top of the cabinet between psu and top odd drive for outlet ... :D

this should solve the heating problem also try to get a good atx cabinet which is broad and tall and make sure it has front intake and back outlet vents .. side and top vents are easy to do by urself ... :)

if even after problem exists then go for dedicated cpu cooler.. :lol:

cheers ...

G

gxsaurav

since it's a pentium 4 630, i recomend that u download the latest bios & drivers for the motherboard & enable EIST in BIOS, which will decress the clock speed when CPU is not in use

also, many times, the onboard sensors give wrong temprature, simply close the computer, power off then try to touch the heatsink, if it's unbearablely hot, then the heat transfer is working correct, if it's not then check if the HSF is properly mounted

praka123

left this forum longback
How do those HCL infinite PCs work (P4 HT) superbly eventhough packed in a
smaller cabinet :shock: carrying prescotts?have seen a lot of them in Centralised Bank branches etc showing working temp around ~40~ :?

yogi7272

Cyborg Agent
those machines must be 2.4 ghz at max which doesn't heat that much .. no way prescott can survive in small crampy micro atx cabinets ... good airflow is a must ... :lol: .. also they work in acs .. try one thing .. use ur pc with ac on and mount a side panel fan blowing air on ur cpu heatsink .. that will work better than any dedicated cpu cooler.. that way my northwood 2.6 ghz works at cool 28 degress ... :lol:

Nemesis

Wise Old Owl
@job9434: It will be better if you help the thread starter by suggesting ways to cool down his system rather than saying that one should buy AMD. Please reply only if you can help.

mangemayur

Journeyman
Check out the thermaltake and zalman, its really tough to get the latest model in india, i had ordered the thermaltake big typhoon (40 pounds). one of my friend will be carring it in the December end :)

mangemayur said:
Check out the thermaltake and zalman, its really tough to get the latest model in india, i had ordered the thermaltake big typhoon (40 pounds). one of my friend will be carring it in the December end :)

Get a good set of ear muffs / ear plugs too. Trust me, you'll need them.

-Keith

yogi7272

Cyborg Agent
ohh u have got 630 ... this can be overclocked to 4.2 ghz on air with good ventilation and if possible then with a good cpu cooler .. like zalman cnps 9500 led ...etc ... :lol:

and read a recent article on xbitlabs.com where 630 overcloked to 4.2 ghz was just below fx 57 in majority of games when used with similar gpu .. :lol:

and this overclocking is pretty true .. atleast for some batches of 630 if not for all .. :D

mangemayur

Journeyman
Keith Sebastian, have u seen the configuration, Trust me the intel original heatsink makes the noice around > 30db and this one are around <20db.... also the cooling capcityof them is lot better than intel one (tthats y the ppl buy it)

mangemayur said:
Keith Sebastian, have u seen the configuration, Trust me the intel original heatsink makes the noice around > 30db and this one are around <20db.... also the cooling capcityof them is lot better than intel one (tthats y the ppl buy it)

Sorry, mistook it for the Thermaltake Volcano 7 which I junked just because of the noise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom