Status
Not open for further replies.

Cyrus_the_virus

Unmountable Boot Volume
Many office workers have the same morning routine: turn on the computer, then grab coffee, catch up with coworkers, or look at paperwork while Windows boots up. Others save time, but waste energy, by keeping their machines on all the time.

Now Device VM, a startup based in Silicon Valley, has a product that circumvents the everlasting boot-up. The company has recently released a tiny piece of software that, when integrated with common computer hardware, gives users the option to boot either Windows or a faster, less-complex operating system called Splashtop. Depending on the hardware and Splashtop settings, a person using the software--which is based on the open-source operating system Linux--can start surfing the Web or watching a DVD in less than 20 seconds, and, in some cases, in less than five.

*www.technologyreview.com/files/14248/splashtop_x220.jpg

Surfing in seconds: This screenshot is an example of what Splashtop users could see seconds after they turn on their computers. From here, they can choose to boot the original operating system, edit the settings for the software that initiates the operating system (the BIOS), or shut off the computer.
Credit: DeviceVM

Read More.....

OP
Cyrus_the_virus

Cyrus_the_virus

Unmountable Boot Volume
Asus recently unveiled a laptop at CES which has got splashtop integrated into the hardware and they will soon start shipping motherboards with onboard splashtop. :D

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
Asus recently unveiled a laptop at CES which has got splashtop integrated into the hardware and they will soon start shipping motherboards with onboard splashtop. :D
Now thats a good news. I'll definitely buy a Splashtop based Motherboard when I'll buy a new PC later this year.......:eek:

goobimama

 Macboy
Mine boots up in 15 seconds... Now if they somehow get an OS to boot up instantly, as in, instantly, that would be a nice thing to have... (non-volatile RAM?)

naveen_reloaded

!! RecuZant By Birth !!
I still dont get it..
Many years now we have been waiting for the boot time..i think its time we should be seeing os loading just like our tv do..

chesss

mera kutch nahi ho sakta
meh..takes me like 6 seconds to resume from hibernation..
or 2 to resume from 'sleep'

shadow2get

In the zone
That's gr8 news ... will buy one of these motherboards when it comes.
Definitely saves time. :cool:

Chk out this videos for info on how it works:

ASUS M/B Splashtop Preview
*www.youtube.com/watch?v=589gvghX6QE

hailgautam

Youngling
Considering most of the Offices have restrictions on web browsing and hardly any one allows optical media, I didn't get how it is trying help in an office.

casanova

The Frozen Nova
^^ Not for those who dual boot or frequently take out their hard disks.

Mine too boots in 18 secs. Great to se Asus incorporating it within their mobos.

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
Hibernation is not always the best option. There is always a pitfall.

I use tripple boot with Ubuntu, Fedora and XP . if I hibernate XP then all windows partitions are locked. I cannot mount it in linux. So I have to do a proper shutdown to make the windows partitions available under linux.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom